Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Monterey-Carmel (Monterey) Hotel Abrego

wolfgirl
By wolfgirl,
in

Was looking again on HOTWIRE for the Anton Inn, which I had to cancel due to my travel delays last week. It wasn't there for my dates so I chose this instead.

2 adults: 3.5* Monterey

Boutique

Non-Smoking

Pools

Restaurants

Laundry on site

High Speed Internet Access

Golf Nearby

Tennis Nearby

Total $502.45 with tax

After booking I tried to check the normal rate on a number of booking sites, including the hotel's own, but it's showing as unavailable for these dates.

Used the HOTWIRE link. Thanks.

I booked 5 nights at the Hotel Abrego (3.5*) in Monterey, starting May 3rd, and have just received a phone call from Hotwire saying the hotel is overbooked and I can either be walked to the Victorian Inn, a 3* hotel, or be given a refund. I've discussed this at length with a supervisor at Hotwire who says these are the only alternatives.

I have a feeling that the Victorian Inn does not have complimentary parking (have not checked this yet), so that could be an extra expense, and it doesn't have a pool which is an amenity I really wanted.

My understanding is that if you're walked, it should be to a comparable or higher rated hotel. I've never heard of anyone being walked "down" before. I also understand that the Abrego is part of a chain of hotels that include higher rated hotels.

Hotwire say I could book a higher rated hotel but would have to pay the difference: they said the only one showing with a pool is about $60 a night more.

Can anyone advise on what my rights are? Unfortunately I'm very close to travelling from the UK, and the logistics of sorting this out are quite difficult.

It seems to me that Hotwire want me to cancel, by offering me something that isn't really acceptable.

I've said I'll get back to them.

What an aggravation just five days before your trip!

When I check your dates on Hotwire now I see these:

4* $153

3* $163

2.5* $55

2* $39

You paid $89 for a 3.5* and there's no 3.5* offered now. When you ask what your rights are I think you're asking if Hotwire has to walk you to the 4* if there's no alternate 3.5* available, even if the 4* costs more. I don't know the legal answer, and maybe someone else will comment on that, but as for options to consider...

I doubt Abrego is sold out all five nights. (I haven't checked.) If just one night of your five night stay is sold out that could cause them to cancel the entire reservation.

Do you still want to stay at Abrego three or four nights, if those are available? You can check rates on their website, one day at a time, and isolate which is the problem date(s). I think Abrego and Hotwire should be willing to honor those days, at least, that are available--if you still want them.

And regarding Victorian Inn. I don't know anything about it and I haven't read the reviews. But as general comment you shouldn't assume a 3* hotel will necessarily be "worse" than a 3.5*. If you look at the website and read the reviews and it sounds like Victorian Inn is place you'd overall enjoy then accepting Hotwire's offer might be a good resolution.

If you don't want the Victorian Inn then yes, you should keep pressing Hotwire for alternatives. Are you willing to split your stay? If you are (three nights at one hotel and two at another) then Hotwire might have some more and/or different hotels to offer.

Thanks Colfax. It's nice to see a sympathetic response.

I found a legal'ish paper on the issue that implies that damages can be awarded, should anyone ever feel like exploring that path:

http://www.ahiattorneys.org/handouts/sandi...Overbooking.pdf

I've spoken to the Abrego and they've said they'll waive the parking fee at the Victorian Inn, and have suggested they will make sure I'm well looked after. At such short notice I don't have an alternative to what has been offered. The unavailable dates are smack in the middle of my stay so it would mean packing and unpacking more than once.

I spent a long time researching the options before booking and I don't have the time to do it again. That doesn't mean I'm happy about having been put in this position. Both Hotwire and the Abrego have been very pleasant, but completely inflexible in what they've offered. The Abrego explained that they had taken rooms out of service to be renovated. Until I can verify that I have to say I'm rather dubious that this happened so unexpectedly, within two days of accepting my booking.

I also have to wonder if they select foreign tourists to be walked to the lower rated hotels in the chain, assuming we don't understand standard industry practice? I was sitting in a bar with people from the hotel industry when I received the call from Hotwire, and we were all in no doubt whatsoever that they've behaved inappropriately. My understanding is that it's standard to at least waive the cost of the first night's stay, move you to an equal or higher standard accommodation, and offer to transport you to the new hotel (which I don't need).

The Victorian Inn is certainly not a bad place to be and I'm sure I'll be very comfortable; it's just not what I'd selected in terms of amenities and price (at the time of booking). But having got nowhere with either party, I'll see what my stay is like there before deciding what to do about it. For one thing, I very much doubt I'll be staying the extra week that I was contemplating if I'd been happy with the Abrego. But maybe the complimentary wine evenings at the Victorian will make me feel more mellow about the whole thing.

I've received no written information or confirmation about this, which is a bit worrying, but I am 8 hours ahead so I hope to hear something before I fly early tomorrow.

If you had more time I'd suggest "take it up the chain of command", but given how close your trip is I understand your overriding need to secure something in Monterey now, even if it's not 100% satisfactory.

According to their websites Hotel Abrego and the Victorian Inn are under common management, which is in your favor. The same people who wronged you now have the opportunity to make it right by the way they treat you at the Victorian. Waiving the parking fee is a good start.

I also have to wonder if they select foreign tourists to be walked to the lower rated hotels in the chain, assuming we don't understand standard industry practice? I was sitting in a bar with people from the hotel industry when I received the call from Hotwire, and we were all in no doubt whatsoever that they've behaved inappropriately. My understanding is that it's standard to at least waive the cost of the first night's stay, move you to an equal or higher standard accommodation, and offer to transport you to the new hotel (which I don't need).

I really doubt you were singled out because you're from abroad. I don't think Hotwire forwards any personal info (address, phone number) that would alert the hotel you're from abroad. Just your name and the reservations details. It's more likely Abrego overbooked and decided to fix by cancelling the most recently booked Hotwire reservations, and you were among those.

I hope Victorian Inn works out for you but if there are issues don't hesitate to call Hotwire's customer service again from the hotel. Overall Hotwire's record is pretty good for trying to make things right. And if you think you'd be happier at Abrego you might check again on your day of arrival to see if any five day availability has opened up there.

Good luck!

An update:

I stopped by the Abrego on the way to the Victorian Inn, since my GPS failed and I needed directions. The Abrego looked good, but the pool was really very small and wouldn't have suited me anyway since I can't imagine being able to swim in it (like many hotel pools, it seems to be more for decoration, or to get a higher rating).

My first impression of the Victorian Inn is positive, even if it's not in the part of town I wanted to be in. The staff have been very helpful. I'll write a review after my stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]