Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on Hudson

jdmss
By jdmss,
in

My husband and I have never been to New York, and I want to go in April for my 50th birthday. I have used Priceline and with the incredible help from thereuare I have booked hotels in Vancouver, B.C. Los Angeles and Miami with great results.

I am just a little intimidated with booking a hotel in New York.... I dont know the areas obviously and not knowing which areas are safe to book and being Canadian, every penny counts and I have been reading about Hotels in Jersey City... but that may not be worth it as we would obviously be spending our days and nights in New York. We are wanting to be there for 5 days.

To be honest we do not want to spend anymore than $100.00 U.S. not before taxes a night. Can you help ?

Thank you so much and I love this board !!

Actually many Jersey City Priceline hotels are directly connected to New York by PATH.

These 2 hotels are definately connected

3* Doubletree Club Suites is connected to the Grove Place PATH Station (iirc) Newport Station (and it's an outside walk, but close)

3* Hyatt Regency On The Hudson is connected to the Exchange Place Path station, which is 5 minutes from WTC.

PATH The Website for the train

Jersey City Hyatt

Doubletree Jersey City

I am staying at the Hyatt in May and like it the best due to the view of the NY skyline.

Post the dates of your stay and im sure theruare will be able help you with strategy.

EDIT by thereuare: added closest PATH station to Doubletree to avoid confusion

My niece and I are going to NYC in March for six days. We will be staying in at the Sheraton Russell in Midtown East for three days at $144. For the last three days we're staying on the Jersey side at the Hyatt Regency (Jersey City) at $48. (Weekend rates at this Hyatt are the lowest.) So the average night cost is $96. US, not including taxes and fees. We are also Canadian so we get to add an additional 20 percent. But it is an incredible bargain still. I don't think I could say in a hotel in my own hometown for as little, let alone NYC!

So if you're willing to split your trip you can have the experience of staying in Manhattan and cut the costs by staying a few days in Jersey City.

Betterbidding.com provided the advice on the bidding and were, as usual, unbelievably helpful.

What are the date(s) of your stay.... if rates are very low for your dates in NYC you may be able to get a hotel in NYC for a few dollars more than $100.

If not available, then i think Jersey City will be your best bet when taking into consideration price, convenience, and value.

Let us know the dates and we'll get started (and if this thread will likely be moved to either the New York>>Priceline or New Jersey>>Priceline section of the board... since it's currently in the "Tips and Tricks" forum.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think this is currently going to be a tough feet as i don't think anything of a high quality is aviable either in NYC or Jersey City... although the Candlewood Suites in the area is a possiblity.

Are you willing to SPLIT YOUR BID? What will you do if you're unable to get a hotel in either area for under $100/nite?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's not a tough time... but it's a tough time to get something under $100/nite.

Such a constraint in the NYC area would normally make this tougher rather than easier... as 'normal' rates are usually much higher than that.

What are your thoughts about the Candelwood Suites (reviews) in Jersey City?

Would you prefer something of the Candlewood caliber (it's rated as a 2* or 2.5* hotel, depending upon which service you look at) or to raise your bid?

You may want to consult some 'non-opaque' sites to see what the typical rate of a NYC hotel room does cost during these dates... i think you'll be surprised by the cost.

geez i thought i was university educated... ...but you have me confused with ??? LOL

Such a constraint in the NYC area would normally make this tougher rather than easier... as 'normal' rates are usually much higher than that.

I just do not understand what constraint? I understand that NYC is probably out of my $$$.

So how about if I only concentrate on Jersey City..... I finally booked our flights and they are into Newark.

I still love you thereuare !

Yes I do thank you, after reviewing many posts I think I will try for Jersey City instead of New York. I understand I can only bid once, as there aren't any rebid zones. I will post my bid once completed. Thank you again for all your help and suggestions !

Yes I think I am going to need help ! I have bid 50, 60 and 66 with no luck. I researched on Hotwire their rates, and found that the 29 and 30th are way higher than the rest of the week. We are going to be there March 29 to April 3, hopefully in Jersey City and we dont mind a strategy using a split bid.

Thanks!

OK, here it goes...

Another user suggested biddnig 2* in MTS as the Murray Hill Suites is often received there and gets good reviews, but my fear is that another hotel (a 'true' 2*) would be won and you'd be misserable. It's probably not the path i would take, but I only mention it to give another point of view (i asked the user to post in this thread but i don't know if they will).

I just realized in re-reading this thread that you're looking for $100 after taxes and fees which makes this even a bit more difficult.

Here are my thoughts (all prices are before taxes and/or fees)...

I think you can likely get a 3* in Jersey City for $55 or less, we'll suggest exact strategy once you comment on the entire plan (as you don't want to book half of your stay without knowing what you will do for the second half).

Assuming the above can be obtained, you then have a few choices for the 2nd half of your stay (3/30-4/1)...

1) You could choose another hotel in Jersey City, likely the Candlewood Suites, for about $110/nite

2) You could choose HOTWIRE where i what i beieve is the Murry Hill East suites is available for $125/nite.

3) You could get a 1BR suite at the Beekman Tower for $119/nite (review).

Of the above, i think the best plan is two nites in Jersey City (ideally at the Hyatt) and then 2 nites in NYC (ideally at the Beekman).

I haven't worked out all the numbers, but after taxes and/or fees i think the above will average $100/nite... +/- $5/nite.

Let us know if the above gameplan works for you and we'll go into the details of each. Any questions feel free to ask.

OK, i had it reversed...

You can get the BEEKMAN TOWERS for 3/29-4/1 at a rate of $119/nite. This company allows you to cancel reservations up to 72 hours before arrival, so first book that in order to lock it in.

Second try Priceline for 4/1-4/3...

Select 3* Jersey City and bid $48.

If rejected you can either wait and try again in 72 hours at $55, or try HOTWIRE where the Hyatt (3.5*) appears to be available for $79/nite.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]