Priceline Hotel: Paramus/ Ridgewood/ NYC?

msmckenna
By msmckenna,
in

Hey guys I am very new here actually the first time I have ever booked anything online much less bid on it. Really hope I am not asking to many questions. I am taking my son to Ridgewood NJ to meet John Cena on the 21st for his bday. Leaving either the 19 or the 20th from Texas depending on what I can get a better deal on. The guy at the bookstore in Ridgewood suggested I fly into newark and stay in Paramus. Course deals into LGA are better and also HPN? Should I just leave the deals out of it and fly into Newark? Also my daughter would like to spend a couple of days taking in NYC. I do not mind a bus or train ride to there and back from NYC of up to an hour maybe a bit more. Prices just seem so much better in Paramus and I am a cheapskate at heart. Am I crazy for trying to do this and stay in Paramus or should I just bite the bullet and stay in NYC?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

First, it seems that you'll be seeking triple occupany; be aware of of occupancy issues by reading the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ. I wouldn't expect too much of a problem in NJ, but it's something that you should be aware of, and possibly use Hotwire if it's a risk you aren't willing to take.

How much cheaper are the flights to HPN, LGA, vs. EWR? It sounds as if you're committed to renting a car?

Most importantly for us to assist, what is your target star rating and nightly budget for the hotel room?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

HPN is the lowest being in the low 200's, LGA being in the mid 200's, and EWR being in the low 300's.

No I really had not commited to renting a car it is actually the last thing I want to do is drive in that area. I actually called the Holiday Inn Express in Paramus and the guy told me there was a bus to NYC half a mile from the hotel that runs about 3.00 a trip? Am I being to cheap expecting this to work being able to ride the bus to NYC and back? Only going into NYC for two days other than the actual plane rides.

I actually have no star rating? As long as it is a good clean room so would that be a 2? The Holiday inn Express in Paramus is 91- 112 a night booking it strait thru the site so would 55-70 be unreasonable for priceline or hotline?

Callie

I know this area very well and i have some other (imo, better) ideas, but...

-if you don't rent a car, how do you intend to get from the airport to the hotel?

-if you don't rent a car, how will you get from hotel to Ridgewood?

-how would you get to the bus to NYC? (walk? what if it rains or is 90+ degrees (but maybe that's not considdered hot for a Texan:) ))

Additionally, the Holiday Inn Express recently (within the last week) had a big prostituion bust at the hotel (a big deal for Paramus as they don't typically see this type of crime there)... so you could take the attitude "well, they just got rid of them so it should be clean", but personally i wouldn't stay there just yet.

I hope i've convinced you away from the Holiday Inn Express, but even if i have/haven't, you have to understand that with the opaque services you're not bidding on a specific hotel, so what if you won a bid and received a hotel other than the HI Express... how would you then plan on getting to the hotel from the airport, Ridgewood, and then NYC? These are all things you have to consider if you don't intend on renting a car (so that you know the total cost of what you're getting into before bidding, and can decide of the opaque process is appropriate for this stay).

Bottomline is that i think there are better choices. Just from the outset, it seems as if you'll be heading to NYC two days and Ridgewood once... so why plan your stay with Ridgewood as your focus?

As i said above, i know this area very well and i think i can help coordinate this stay for you, but will need to know your maximum bid in order to help. As well, are you indeed seeking triple occupanyc? If so, did you read the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ and are you comfortable with that?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok lol give me your ideas. I had planned on riding the bus or the rail? I know Paramus is 15 mins from Ridgewood according to the guy at the bookstore and that there were buses? Sorry used to Dallas may be expecting more from public transportation than what is actually avaible in this area? No walking in 90 degrees would not be bad for us but you do make a point with the rain. Maybe a cab?

You have DEFINATELY sold me on not staying at Holiday Inn Express to say the very least.

Do you think I should just shoot for NYC and fly into JFK or LGA and then worry about the one day getting to Ridgewood? Just writing that makes more sense than trying to get back and forth on two days.

I guess I need to use Hotwire. The kids are young enough that we could all sleep in a king bed ok but if the hotel would not be ok with this that is the last thing that I need to go wrong. Is 110- 130 a night to bold to think I could get in under that? I honestly think 150 is the absolute most I could do ... they traded a 2000.00 go kart for this trip and I really do not want to go to very much over that. If that is too low of an estimate please lmk.

I'll add my 2 cents. If you guys are ok with the risk you get one king bed (or the extremely remote possibility one double bed), the hotel will almost certainly be ok with it, and you could use priceline. Priceline is almost always significantly less expensive than hotwire.

I am almost always ok with this risk. Most of the time I've gotten exactly what I wanted. I am always prepared to have to negotiate with the front desk. ("Ok, I'm willing to give you $30 more if you give me the room with two beds..." for example). I can think of only one time I didn't get what I wanted -- had to take two doubles instead of a king. I can deal with that kind of risk considering that I average about 50% off using priceline. :)

You know yourself and your family better than we do. It's ok if you don't want the risk and would prefer a guarantee for triple accommodations. Restrict yourself to hotwire in that case and be prepared to pay more.

(Take note, however, that hotwire does not specifically guarantee how they will accommodate three people. Could be a king bed and a rollaway. It's at the discretion of the hotel for the most part. Also note that neither service will give you a smoking/non-smoking guarantee.)

If i were in your shoes i would be looking to:

1) Rent a car and stay in the Jersey City or Meadowlands areas. Fly into either EWR, LGA, or HPN if (this is a BIG if) i weren't arriving between 8am and 7pm... between those hours traffic can be just awful and i would stick with EWR. Outside of those hours traffic shouldn't be too bad (typically) and the ride shouldn't take too long depending upon which airport. You can get more details as you firm your plans and before your commit to anything, as i'm just trying to give the 'broad stroke' of your current options.

Having a rental car will make it affordable/easier to get from the airport to hotel, hotel to Ridgewood, and hotel to airport for your return; still using mass transit to go into Manhattan.

2) stay in NYC... although the risk here of a room with only one bed is greater than elsewhere. However, you could then (likely) avoid the rental car as transportation options to/from the airport would be easier (although i'm not sure from HPN, but you could easily do mass transit or taxi from EWR, LGA, or JFK). You could also then use mass transit to go from Manhattan to Ridgewood (which is typically much easier than going from one point in NJ to another point in NJ).

The room in NYC will likely cost you more than a room in NJ, but you also save on the cost of rental car (although you'll still have mass transit costs), cheaper plane tickets (not clear how much from your previous post), and will have more of a "nyc experience" than staying outside of the city.

For starters i would calculate your total costs for each option (airfare, transportation, hotel, etc) and then make a decision which route you'd like to go, or at least your maximum bid for one option before it pays to start trying the other option.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll advise accordingly. I have a general idea of transportation costs from each of the airports to Manhattan if you need that info to help you make a decision.

Ok I guess prices have gone up. I can get airfare from DFW to LGA flying in on the 19th and back out on the 22nd for 290.00. I am probably going to just book my flight strait thru the airline and not use priceline for it. Have heard a lot of people saying that is the best thing to do? Also I need to be sure I have plently of time between layovers because my youngest is in a wheelchair.

So I would like to get a room preferably at 120.00 a night but will go up to 150.00 for the 19th 20th and 21st. I am not really big on the stars like I said as long as it is clean. Ideally I would like a pool for the kids but I do relize that I may be asking a bit much for NYC :) .

The last thing I honestly want to do is rent a car. I hate driving, especially with reved up kids. Is there an option from NYC to ridgewood besides a cab? Or can you even get a cab to go that far?

Thanks so much also for all your help. I think you have already helped me avoid some major problems. And keep a reasonable amount of my sanity.

Callie

A few points:

Will you need a wheelchair accessible room? What if the hotel will not honor that request if you book thru priceline?

Also, if you book a flight directly, please begin your purchase using the airline's link in the SUPPORT BETTERBIDDING page, if it's an airline listed there.

You're probably better off NOT using priceline for a flight because of the unpredictability of it.

No no accessible room needed. Thankfully he is still small enough to carry to wherever for short distances (ie in and around a hotel room etc.) plus he crawls and knee walks which would be my reason for stressing clean lol.

I checked and you guys do not have a link for the airline I am flying :) . I did buy an Entertainment Book thru your link though. :)

Callie

We just had a win reported for 7/20-24 at $130 in NYC so your budget is probably reasonable.

I would go ahead and book the flights now. Don't want to lose the fare and you're getting close to your arrival date.

Perhaps thereuare could suggest a bidding strategy for you, for the most common tourist zones, up to your maximum at $150, probably 3 and/or 4*. (I don't go to the city enough to have the strategy down firmly.)

Thanks for the tip I am going to go check that out.

I actually had to change my plans a bit for what was avaible for the three of us to fly. Going to be flying in at 12:30 pm Thursday July 20th to LGA and leaving from LGA at 3:50 on Monday July 24th. But feel much more relaxed now that that part is booked.

Callie

When bidding 4* in NYC you have two re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE....

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW....

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS....

Select 4* MTE and MTW....

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS....

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

If the above is rejected you'll then have to make a decision if you want to bid higher or consider SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, but we can cross that bridge when we get there and you can start with the above.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have decided on splitting the difference spending Thursday and Friday in Paramus booking straight thru the hotels site... via your support page. My fear of being stuck out due to the triple occupancy or accessability needs.

I had not planned on renting a car Have a bad enough time driving in Dallas. I had been told that there was a bus that went from Paramus to NYC was going to call and maybe talk to someone at the chamber of commerce in the morning and see how reliable that is. I spoke with a lady today at NYC transit who said when I had decided where to stay to call back and she would tell me how to get around NYC without running into non accesible areas. My major concerns are just the trip from LGA to Paramus then to Ridgewood and of course getting to NYC lol. This trip has made me insane, I will never plan another trip without my husband cause he usually drives lol.

I was thinking if you could recommend a route maybe splitting the difference and spending two days in Paramus and then the two days I am going to be in the city anyway actually staying in NYC maybe at Beekman, or someplace I will not have to worry so much with there not being an elevator or with the triple occ problem.

Callie

Paramus-->NYC

The Paramus Crowne Plaza (where you told me thru PM you'd like to stay) is adjacent to Paramus Park Mall and that is likely the closest bus into Manhattan. Here is a link to the bus schedule.

From LGA-->Paramus

This is tough and/or expensive.

Easy and Expenisve: A taxi will likely cost you $100+.

Cheap(er) and do-able: Shuttle to NY Port Authority (~$15/pp), then NJ Transit bus to Paramus Park (see schedule above).. i'm guessing ~$4/pp. Just make sure that the bus runs late enough depending upon what time you arrive into LGA.

From Paramus-->Ridgewood

There may be a bus, but i don't know of it, you can trying calling NJ Transit. I'm guessing a taxi would cost ~$25.

Once you have things on the NJ stay settled feel free to continue this thread with your dates adn budget for the NYC portion and we'll try to advise with that as well. The Beekman may not be your best bet with its east location.

I'm a little late to the game here, but is staying in Secaucus and renting a car for one day (for the 21st) and driving to Ridgewood a possibility? It seems that the one event in Ridgewood is affecting your choice for which area to stay.

I'll add that getting from NYC-->Ridgewood would not be too difficult if you could stay in NYC for the entire stay (although costs may be prohibitive) assuming where you need to be in Ridgewood is on the 'main street'.

The NJ Transit system works similar to the 'hub and spoke' system as airlines do, with the NY Port Authority being the epicenter. Therefore it is usually easy to get from NYC (the hub) to points in NJ, but it can often be difficult to get from one point in NJ to another point in NJ (via mass transit).

Confused yet! :)

:) Yes thanks I am now completely confused :) .

OK this is what my plan was to fly into LGA Thursday at 12:30 and go to the port authority and then go to whatever hotel I needed to go to in Paramus. They told me I have to call back a day in advance to make a reservation for the bus for Alex because of the wheelchair. So not a lot of timing freedom there. I was going to stay in Paramus Thursday after we get in at 12 and then stay Friday go to Ridgewood Friday around 12 find something to do there, so we would be there in plenty of time. They said at the NJ transit there was a bus that goes from Paramus to Ridgewood bus terminal. They did say on the phone it was on the same street as bookends 232 E. Ridgewood Ave. But I am waiting for an email back from the guy in Ridgewood to be sure. Friday night we go back to Paramus stay the night. Get up Saturday morning get our stuff and head to NYC where I will book a room for two nights. Our only plans are going on the circle line night cruise around the statue and doing a day in central park and one of the museums so not really full I hope. We leave at 3:50 monday so no rushing that day either I would not think.

My main concern with the whole signing and staying in NYC is that the signing is not over until 8. Seems really late to be riding the bus back to NYC ... they do run that late though on the plus side.

As far as staying in NYC like I said my main concern is the triple occ and the elevators (had a nightmare about toting him up 16 flights of stairs was enough to scare me lol). I figured if I stayed in Paramus two nights it would give me some extra play room in my hotel budget for Sat and Sun. It also gives me time to chill out before the signing and we can relax because I am going to have already one very hyped child. If we stay in NYC my daughter will be hyped as well.

But I do trust what you guys say and if you think it would be best for me to just stay in NYC then we will do that.

Callie

Your plans seems sound but a bit more additional info:

The Crowne Plaza is adjacent to a pretty decent sized shopping mall, so would be convenient if you have find yourself with nothing to do at the hotel. Also a good food court for meals.

I wouldn't concern myself with getting from NYC-->Ridgewood-->NYC if you choose to stay in NYC for the entire stay. Ridgewood is a safe area, especially on the main street, and there is also a train station there which goes into NY Penn Station (the bus probably runs later back to NYC, but at least this is another option). NJ Transit but is fairly reliable... they may be a few minutes early/late, but it's not as if the bus just won't decide to come at all. I would try not to count on the absolute last bus of the nite, but i wouldn't have any major concerns.

If there is a bus from Paramus to Ridgewood then it's not that big of a deal, just make sure that it is indeed direct service so that you're not making any transfers (ie- getting off at once stop and waiting for a bus at that stop to take you to your final destination).

I could see the reason for splitting the stay (cost, convenience to Ridgewood, relaxation between 'excursions', the mall nearby to fill in any quiet time) as well as the benefits of staying in NYC (easier transportation, more to do/see, a more exciting trip of being directly in the city).

It comes down i think of what you want from the trip and your own termperment: a time to travel, do what you want, and also relax... or "hey, we're in NYC let's make the most of it and what it costs us to get here".

The Crowne Plaza in Paramus, next to Paramus Park, is a two story hotel. They do not have an elevator. There is one flight of stairs to go to the 2nd floor. You can always call the hotel ahead and request a room on the main floor. Have a fabulous time at the signing and spending time in Paramus and Ridgewood.

Thanks for the info about the Crowne Plaza, I called to double check they had us on the ground floor. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. I fried my laptop cord or I should say the dog did :) . So had to go spend 120 to get a new one woo hoo lol.

I am going to stay the first two days there in Paramus. Any suggestions about where would be good for us to try in NYC? Any ideas about going thru priceline and still being ok? The triple occ is what really scares me like I said ... it does not matter to me or the kids but it might to the hotel. That and the no elevator thing lol :).

Callie

HOTWIRE has a few options near your price range... but the disappear when searching for triple occupancy (vs. double occupancy).

At double occupancy what i believe to be the Inter-Continental Barclay is available for ~$150/nite and there have been users who reported a while back that they were able to get two beds here. The Parker Le Meridien is also avaialble for ~$190/nite but i'm not sure of the two bed scenario here... both of these are 'high class' hotels and i would think they would do what they could to meet your needs; but of course no guarantees.

If you search for triple occupancy what i believe to be the Sheraton New York is avialable for $200/nite, but after taxes and fees not sure if you want to go this high.

You could also book the Beekman Tower 1BR suite for $190/nite where you'll know you're getting one bed and a pull-out couch (assuming that works for you). You'll still need to search for double occupancy using this link (it doesn't show when searching for more than two, but the room configuration is 'one bed and a pull-out couch' and no other users have reported any problems with more than double occupancy here). The location of the Beekman is a bit east, so it does involve about a 10 minute walk to subways and such, although there is a bus stop right near the hotel too (which can take you elsewhere in the city as well as to a subway station).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]