Priceline Hotel: Accommodation suggestion MIA - March 3

solosf
By solosf,
in

I have a flight out of Miami to Buenos Aires that leaves at 11pm on March 3. I arrive in MIA the day before on March 2, and I previously made a 1 night priceline reservation in Miami Beach (actually mistakenly thinking I was bidding for South Beach; I got the 4* Sheraton Bal Harbour for $140).

I'm now thinking that since we'll be spending all day in Miami, I'm going to need somewhere to freshen up before the flight and don't really want to leave the luggage in the rental car all day. So, I've tried bidding up to $70 for a 2.5 star, $85 for a 3 star, and $95 for a 4 star (zones: airport, South Beach, Key Biscayne) with no luck.

I won't be spending the night at the hotel -- so I just need a safe place to leave my luggage, and it would be nice if the room had a safe (I realize this isn't common for 3 star and below).

Does EasyClickTravel usually come through with their "off the record" reservations? They have a 4star for $97, but want 48 hours to confirm.

I have a backup, cancellable res. at the Red Roof Inn for $99+tax, that seems steep for my simple needs, but may be the price I have to pay.

Any suggestions?

Does EasyClickTravel usually come through with their "off the record" reservations? They have a 4star for $97, but want 48 hours to confirm.

It depends upon a LOT of factors... if it's a slow time then there is a good chance, if it's a busy time and all hotels are sold-out then the chances are very low. However, regardless of occupancy levels, there are some hotels that never give them additional rooms when requested.

If you don't know, and for others reading, when EasyClickTravel lists an offer as 'on request', it means that they have sold-out of rooms at their contracted rated (unlike most booking agencies these days, EasyClickTravel actually pre-purchases blocks of rooms and then re-sells them, rather than simply acting as an agent). So when listed as 'on request' they did have rooms available at that rate, but have sold them all, so they manually call the hotel to see if they can ge additional rooms at that rate.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you have any status in the Starwood Preferred Guest program (not hard to obtain), they should let you stay until 4 pm at the Sheraton. I suspect there is someplace more than safe for you to store your luggage until you leave for the airport (like at the hotel?).

BTW, have you spent much time in Miami? I lived there for many years and am usually bemused by the worries people have over their personal safety in Miami. With the exception of a few neighborhoods, Miami is as safe as any US metropolitan area. Certainly safer than, say, today's Buenos Aires, where I have also spent significant time.

In other words, I don't think you really need a hotel for that evening. You'll want to be at the airport by about 9 pm anyway. You could have a nice dinner in Coral Gables (near the airport) at, say 6 pm, and I'd say the risk of you having your luggage stolen is about 1/20th of one percent!

Agreed on most of your points. I did live in South Florida in the late 80's and there's nothing about Miami in particular that makes me concerned. I've walked the streets of Sao Paulo and Mexico City without concern, so Miami is comparitively safe.

I do have a comp SPG gold that I got as the result of my FF status. However, I no longer present that when checking in on a priceline reservation after a Hilton clerk in NYC tossed my Hilton Honors gold card (also comped) back in my face while laughing, 'you're a priceline customer! you can't use that!' It was a painful moment. :)

Since we plan on going to the beach for the day, it was also about being able to take a shower, too, besides the luggage safety.

I have come up with two potentials: (1) asking the Sheraton to hold the luggage till ready for the airport, then taking a shower at the airline lounge in MIA. (2) a backup resv at the Comfort Inn Airport. it's $109 and has a safe (a nice to have to keep the passport secure, losing that would halt the vacation).

Thanks for the feedback.

I do have a comp SPG gold that I got as the result of my FF status. However, I no longer present that when checking in on a priceline reservation after a Hilton clerk in NYC tossed my Hilton Honors gold card (also comped) back in my face while laughing, 'you're a priceline customer! you can't use that!' It was a painful moment.

This is rude and totally unacceptable behavior, I believe you can still earn points for incidentals such as meals. Don't let someone as insignificant as a desk clerk intimidate you, present your HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club card with all Priceline check ins.

solosf, the only thing I've been able to find comparable to what you've booked is the La Quinta Airport West through hotelclub.com for $92. (Never used them, don't know if they're reputable.) I don't think they have in-room safes, but maybe lock boxes at the front desk? You could call them and find out.

dahammer, watch out! Some of us were desk clerks at one point in our careers. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]