Priceline Hotel: 4* London (Bloombsbury-Marble Arch) The Cumberland

lookup
By lookup,
in

It seems to me that London now has no free rebid zones for 4 star hotels on PRICELINE.

I am travelling to L. Eng. March 6th to March 15th prefering not to stay at the THISTLE MARBLE ARCH ( was in L. Eng. in August and stayed at the TMA: found it old, musty and with a downcast vibe!) And what i see on the message board is that it (TMA) seems to be the only one coming up for bidders in the 50-80 price range.

So, i want to stay in the Mayfair Soho area - the intention is to be within a 15 minutes walk of the Sofitel Hotel where my course is ( near Piccadily square ).

Any suggestions? Would bidding $85.00 - $90.00 dollars in the Mayfair Soho 4 star zone increase my chances at a better different hotel? Or would I just end up paying $$85.00- $90.00 for the TMA?

There are no re-bid zones at the 4* level when bidding in London... but i'm doubtful $90 will be enough for the Mayfair-SoHo zone.

Would bidding $85.00 - $90.00 dollars in the Mayfair Soho 4 star zone increase my chances at a better different hotel? Or would I just end up paying $$85.00- $90.00 for the TMA?
If you don't include the Bloomsbury-Marble Arch zone then you don't have to worry about receiving the TMA, so i don't really follow the question above.

Were you considering bidding both zones anyway?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My Understanding is that there is a Marble Arch Hotel in Bloomsbury and that is called the Bloomsbury Marble Arch Hotel and one in Mayfair Soho and that is the Thistle Marble Arch - am my mistaken? Are they the same Hotel?

oh!! ok - my mistake!! Can you then tell me if there is any recent history of any 4 stars to be gotten in Mayfair Soho zone for under $100.00

This past summer i got the Radisson Edwardian Berkshire - i am sure that was in the Mayfair Soho area - and that was in the $100 range!

Click SEARCH

Type "Mayfair" (without the quotes) in the selection box, make sure the "Other Countries - Priceline" forum is selected from the list of forums, and then select "Search Titles Only".

You'll then be able to see all reported posts for this zone and scan the topic titles.

We take great measures to make sure that all topic titles are in the correct format so that searches such as the one above can be meaningful.

If you have problems with the search let us know.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am looking for two nights in London (Mayfair/Soho area) in March

Does anyone know - if it is easier to get two nights by bidding for two nights or bidding for one night and then asking for an additional night for the same accepted price on PRICELINE ( has adding a night for the same accepted $ ever worked for anyone?).

Please keep all posts for this stay in this thread rather than starting new topics for each question as it helps keep things better organized.

Bid for both nites together whenever posssible, as you only get one shot at the "add a nite" feature.

Usually if not successful for both nites at a given price, you won't be able to successful with the add a nite feature at the same price (as both look at the same rates to determine your success). Many are able to get the same rate for the add a nite feature (but they also would have been successful if simply bidding both nites together).

In my opinion the Add a Nite feature should only be used when your plans change after the fact and you actually need to add a nite to an existing reservation, it shouldn't be used as a strategic strategy as i believe you are attempting to do above.

The one exception is if you suspect there is a rate change during your stay and you would have been splitting the bid anyway... you can then purchase the cheaper nite thru "name your own price" and then try to add a nite, for which Priceline will likely offer you a higher rate than your original purchase, but this eliminates the risk of having to change hotels for the unpurchased nite.

Please keep all posts for this stay in this thread rather than starting new topics for each question as it helps keep things better organized.

[Point taken - thank-you]

Bid for both nites together whenever posssible, as you only get one shot at the "add a nite" feature.

[Great sensible advice - thank-you]

• 2 weeks later...

CAN you please help me with a bidding stratagy for scoring a great 4 star hotel in London Mayfair area under $105.00 March 7th -14th?

The evenings of the 7th and 8th, i am on my own and i could stay at the Thistle marble Arch in whatever zone that is.

The 9th -14th i wish to be in Mayfair area.

I would not mind breaking up the stay into three hotels in all - perhaps the 13th - 15th i could stay at a third hotel in Mayfair if that helps?

Any suggestions. Does it help if one bids sooner then later? Any comments would be appreciated.

zigzagidiot

With the timing, it can go either way. You might as well start trying now. I'd take a look at the rates for the Thistle Charing Cross and the Holiday Inn Mayfair and the Waldorf Hilton for your dates, to get an idea of whether these are high-demand days or not.

But for now, I'd probably just start with a bid of $80 and see what happens - counteroffer. As you know, you can't rebid, so that's your only shot until you can bid again.

Thanks WillTravel, when you say 'counteroffer' - do you mean i get a second shot at a counter offer after i bid? coz if there is no rebid then i am bidding once and if rejected.... waiting 72 hours...yes?

And i am hoping for the Thistle Charing Cross -i would pay up to $100 a night for that one!! :-)

Zigzagidiot!

Oh yes, I didn't finish my sentence.

I meant try with $80 and see if you get a counteroffer.

That will give you an idea of what to try out for your next bid, in 72 hours.

As you know, there's no way to guarantee the Thistle Charing Cross, but I think all the Mayfair hotels seem fine.

Did you check Hotwire for your dates?

rapazfreiburg thank-you

but i have friends travelling to London for the exact same dates as me ( we are all going for a course ) and they have both gotten rooms at the Thistle Marble Arch in the Bloomsbury Marble Arch zone for $59....- how do you see that it will cost me around $91.00 - did prices go up in Bloomsbury Marble Arch zone the last couple of days?

Zigagidiot

WillTravel

Got it . Thank-you

" Did you check Hotwire for your dates? "

I have never used HOTWIRE before - i am not familiar with that route.

zigzagidiot

Regarding your question as to why it would cost you $91: I tried it out, just believe me.

When did your friends book? Prices have obviously been going up since then.

The same happened with my trip in May/June for which I got the Thistle Marble Arch for $53 back two months ago or so.

Now, for the same set of dates, Priceline counters with $102 and does indeed accept at $91.

oh i better get into action on this.....seems like pools of rooms dry up! I will post my bid and results. Thanks again. I can also break up my stay into 3 different night - that might help.

zigzagidiot

For Hotwire, Just take a look at the Hotwire.com site and try the Mayfair-Soho zone to see what's available. If you want help identifying a promising hotel, you can look at the list and see what you can find, and post here about it.(And if you do book, do so through SavingsBarn.com !) Hotwire is usually more expensive than Priceline, but it's always worth checking.

A great victory! I wanted a shiney clean hotel ( and anything but Thistle Marble Arch!! ) and i got a beauty! Through *SavingsBarn.com* I bid $90 in Bloomsbury Marble Arch zone and PRICELINE counter offered at $105 i added Mayfair Soho zone and rebid $97 and it was accepted. :)

A hotel called the The Cumberland.

Check-In Date: Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Check-Out Date: Thursday, March 9, 2006

Great Cumberland Place

Your Offer Price: $97.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $194.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $43.39

Total Charges: $237.39

It's the good karma that's coming your way! :)

Congratulations on your win... glad to hear you are <very> pleased with the results and you successfully avoided the property you didn't want.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE links at SavingsBarn.com to begin your bidding.

Have a great trip.

Thank-you thereuare

The hotel savings $ and fun and the benefit of the betterbidding community in these boards is so great!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]