Priceline Hotel: Should I be able to get a 4* for $150

United79
By United79,
in

Hi,

I'm looking for a hotel for one night on the 8th of March. I'm looking to spend a maximum of $155 including tax. Should I be able to find something for that price? Or, will I have to increase the amount I bid? The areas I'm looking at are Midtown West, Midtown East, Midtown South and Upper Midtown-Central Park South. Also, I'm from the UK and I was just wondering if I'd be better of using the US site as opposed to the UK Site? Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You're right on the cusp of success/failure, but it's hard to answer as i'm not sure of the amount you're actually willing to bid....

NYC taxes are about 13-14%, and for a one nite stay Priceline fee will be about $6... so a $150 bid actually equals:

$150 + $20 (tax) + $6 (approximate Priceline fee) = $176 ... but it seems from your post you believe your $150 bid will ultimately cost you $155.

It seems as if you're willing to go higher, but perhaps are unsure of where to start. If you let us know your maximum bid, we'll supply a strategy that takes you up to that amount, but also strategically gives you the ability to be successful first at lower levels.

Let us know what your true maximum bid is (before taxes and fees) and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Taking into account taxes and the priceline fee, the maximum I'd be willing to bid before taxes etc is $135. With taxes and fees added this would add up to about $160. So, $135 is my max (before taxes and fees). Would you be able to suggest a strategy, please? Thanks!

I don't think you'll be successful with a $135 bid, but you can try as follows:

When bidding 4* in NYC you have 2 re-bid zones, available, if you're not familiar with re-bidding please read: PRICELINE RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board (in order to avoid any mistakes).

If you understand re-bidding, this is how i would proceed...

Select 4* MTW and...

Bid $100, if rejected add MTE and...

Bid $105, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone1 and...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bdi zone2 and...

Bid $120.

If the above is rejected close that browser and re-access priceline however you did prevously.

Select 4* MTS and...

Bid $115, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $120, if rejected add UM/CPS and MTS (at the same time) and...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone1 and...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bdi zone2 adn...

Bid $135.

Any questions on the above feel free to ask.

If you are rejected with the above, let us know if you'd like to lower your star rating or raise you bid amount, or if you had some other ideas.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

PS- if you're thinking of raising your bid, the best price i could find for a 4* hotel on your dates was $159 at the Millenium UN, so if you are sold on a 4* hotel i would use that as the 'price to beat' (it comes to $181 after taxes and there is no booking fee)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You can try that and i'll suggest a strategy to go along with it, but before i do, can i ask on what basis you are choosing your maximum bid amounts? As i won't rule out $109 being successful, but i'd consider myself doubtful.

In NYC there is often not much difference between the accepted bids of 3* and 4* properties (yes the 3* properties are usually less expensive than the 4* properperties, but the difference is not as significant as we usually see in other areas)

At the 3* level you only have one re-bid, try as follows:

Select 3* MTW

Bid $90, if rejected add MTE and...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bdi zone and ...

Bid $100.

If rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS

Bid $90, if rejected add MTS and...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bdi zone and ...

Bid $100.

Select 3* MTW and UM/CPS

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zonea and...

Bid $110

Select 3* MTS and MTE

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zonea and...

Bid $110

Select 3* MTE, MTW, UM/CPS, and MTS

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $120.

Let us know if there are any questions and/or how it goes.

Good Luck.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]