Unsuccessful bid LAX-OGG 8/10-8/18

techmom
By techmom,
in

I've been watching airfares to Maui the last few weeks. We have a small window in August, between 8/9-8/18 to start traveling. The fares during that time is between $577-$1850 including traveling via nearby airports BUR, SNA, ONT & LGB. Non-stop flights and going from LAX on 8/10 seem to be the cheapest.

1) Started the bidding from LAX-OGG on 8/10-8/18 at $255/pp w/ tax+fee of $64.05 and travel insurance of $16 for a total of $355.05/pp. Got rejected.

2) Raised price to $265 and checked agree to flight red-eye. Rejected.

I don't really want to check additional airports since all of them have 1-stop that could add 2-5 hrs extra. What are my options?

Am I too early for the bidding? I want to secure condo so I don't want to bid too late. The flight schedule also determined if we need to stay one night near the airport since there are flights that get in quite late.

Any help are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

After a day, priceline sent me an email saying that I could try again.

So I've tried bidding again using the link in this forum.

My bid went up to $310, but still not successful. With fee+tax, it comes to $374.05. this is 65% of the published lowest price. I thought it is very reasonable.

Any idea would be appreciated.

Continental shows a nonstop SNA-OGG for $503. Kayak & Orbitz. Aug 9 - 16. I didn't check other dates.

One never knows with bidding, and especially with airfare. You really are pretty early though. Sometimes it seems there is a "sweet spot" between 2 and 3 months out when airfare dips. When you have to put together a package with other stuff, might be better to just grab something reasonable. How long can you wait on booking the condo? That will sort of determine how long you can toy with the bidding process for the air. I don't think I'd try bidding any later than 2 months out, with the other things you have to set up.

I hope you use the links from this site that are under the support page tab.

Romelle

Thanks Romelle for your reply.

Yes, I did use the PRICELINE link in the support forum.

Using your research, I tried again today going out from SNA-OGG, 8/9-8/17, starting w/ $295. Not successful.

I added option for red-eye, $305. Not successful.

I added LAX, $315. Not successful.

I changed dep-arrival date (since Kayak shows the same price going out on 8/11) 8/11-8/19, $320. Not successful.

All the time, Priceline tells me to raise my bid to $491.

$320 is my max bid. I'm going to lay low for a while and try again in a week or so.

Thanks again.

The ignore-counter-offer-try-again-about-a-week-later approach is a good idea, IMHO. Hope something works for you.

Romelle

And you've probably helped some other bidder with your detailed saga. The count of guests to members usually runs about 10 to 1.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]