Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* San Francisco (USW) Pan Pacific

mothepro
By mothepro,
in

Hi.

First of all, thanks for this amazing website. I havent used either of these two and i am staggering in a daze through all these new concepts (bidding, Bonus Money etc etc.)

I am going to San Fransisco the end of Feb for 3 nights with the wife - an anniversary thing.

I would really like something fancy although of course i cannot afford it :-)

I am assuming that the top class - 5 star hotels are not something available on Hotwire or Priceline right?

What is the best way to approach getting a hotel as nice as possible (without booking direct of course). Priceline seems to only allow a cohoice of 4* or lower - not 4.5 or 5. Hotwire give a 4.5* but that will turn out to be Pan or Clift. The reviews i have seen about Clift make it sound extremely small / squashy which isnt ideal.

Any suggestions on the best strategy here? Also, how to make best use of any Bonuses currently available?

Many thanks

Mo

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Best place to start is here: I'VE NEVER USED PRICELINE or HOTWIRE as it explains the similarities and differences of each service.

The short version is that Priceline usually costs a bit less than Hotwire, but Hotwire often gives you a bit more control over the actual hotel you will receive. Which one you use is often a trade-off of how important price is to you and how important 'knowing' the actual hotel before purchase is a factor.

Let's proceed as follows...

What zone(s) are you looking to stay in within San Francisco, what are the actual dates of your stay, and what is the maximum per nite cost are you budgeting?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi There. Sorry about posting in the wrong section.

I am going to be in SF for the nights of the 22nd and 23rd of Feb. I think the Zone to be in is the Union Square West or East and the Embarcadero area.

I am looking to be in a fancy place - the problem is that not everywhere that is a high class is always that comfortable.

I was hoping to spend anywhere from $60 - 100 per night.

Thanks for the help

Mo

Take a look at the PRICELINE HOTELS list for California.

What do you think of the 4* hotels listed in the (Union Square East - Embarcadero) zone and the Union Square West zone. Would you be happy with any of those property (or those that Priceline deems to be of similar quality)? If not, what are a few examples of hotels that you're looking for?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi.

I checked thorugh the reviews of the 4* hotels on the priceline forum. Some of them seem OK but others seem to have quite a few complainants which is a little worrying.

The Pan Pacific Hotel seems to be extremely nice and if that is the one available on Hotwire at $95 i would certainly take it. Is there any way of knowing that?

Details I have on Hotwire are;

4.5* in Union Square West (Downtown)

Selected amenities include: Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, Business

Dates are Feb 22 - Feb 24

Price is $95

If i can be relatively sure that this is Pan Pacific I would go for that.

What is the lowest i can expect to pay for those dates if i took a 4* on Priceline?

Thanks

Mo

Given that the CLIFT has the same exact amenities and star rating, you can't be reasonably assured that the hotel you're seeing is the Pan Pacific.

Priceline will cost you a little bid less, but you're then going to be 'exposed' to all the 4* hotels in the zone and not be able to narrow it down to <presumably> these two. If you'd like to try Priceline we can suggest a strategy to follow, but as a ballpark idea i'd guess more than $70 but less than $100.

I'm never one to say that something is not possible, but i don't think a 4* acceptance at $55 or less in the zones you mentioned is realistic, and i would put it at 'highly unlikely'.

Your research in trying to figure out which hotel (CLIFT or Pan Pacific) is a common one, but not one with much reliability. Since each hotel has a greatly different philosophy as to how much to discount their rooms thru the opaque services in order to fill vacant rooms, there is often little correlation between the hotel with the lowest conventional rate and the hotel that is won. As well, a hotel with lower rates may have higher occupancy numbers due to their lower rate, and therefore may not offer any availability to the opaque suppliers.

As well, while you may very well get awarded the Pan Pacific, the CLIFT is still a definate possibility. Hotel awards seem to come and go in streaks, and every streak comes to an end (and a new one begins) with the awarding of a new property.

You have 5 re-bid zones in this area. If you're not familiar with re-bidding it is discussed in this thread: RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED. Given you've never bid before, we highly recommend you confirm you re-bid zones with the board before bidding. If you don't understand re-bidding after reading the previous thread, feel free to ask questions as a reply to this thread.

Select 4* USE-Embarcardero

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone and....

Bid $52, if rejected add re-bid zone and....

Bid $54, if rejected add re-bid zone and....

Bid $56, if rejected add re-bid zone and....

Bid $58, if rejected add re-bid zone and....

Bid $60

Ask any questions that you may have.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]