Priceline Hotel: 4* Naples Central no go up to $145

CrazyOne
By CrazyOne,
in

Not really looking for help necessarily, just a point of reference on the very small chance that anyone else is looking at last-minute arrangements in Naples.

I bid on this late last night, targeting Central Naples only, starting around $100 and running up to $145 with all the rebid areas. There are decent choices at just a little more than that (like the Hilton, selling at $166 on some sites), but the two reported hotels on the list here are more appealing locations to me and selling at $240-260 I believe. I could bid 3* instead although not thinking it'll be worth it; 4* is usually solid and I could live with that even if it's a surprise new hotel win with a different location. I don't think I want to be in the resort areas; we're going mainly to check out the Everglades a bit. I may ultimately just decide to be picky and book something I'm more sure of. (Nothing on Hotwire looks that interesting.)

Probably just try again tomorrow. On the Priceline iPhone app a while ago (just downloaded it to play) it said someone won a 4* at $200 or $205, something like that. Kinda defeats the purpose of Priceline at that rate! If I'm getting nothing at $150-ish seems like the Hilton, though not exactly where I'd like to be, would be suitable enough. Or I'll find something else. :-)

Will update this thread if I end up with a win.

Bid up to $159 today. Nada. Seemed to be some reduction in other hotels prices on other sources (Hotels.com, etc.) so it's weird, although perhaps the demand is more for the 4* places. Perhaps I expect too much of a weekend and someone will release inventory during the week, so will probably finalize something cancelable today and bid some more starting tomorrow. May be pointless but we'll see.

Heh, getting antsy here because yesterday just before noon after looking at lots of stuff I spied a good Request option on Easy Click Travel for $125/night at the Inn on 5th. This place is selling at $299, but the Tuesday night was actually (at the time, but not now) showing "available" instead of "request", so I thought I might have some chance. I've never tried one of these before. Hasn't been 48 hours yet, but I was hoping that was mainly covering for making requests on Saturday, etc. Haven't heard anything back yet.

Meanwhile, I can't bid on Priceline yet because the cancel policy on this one from Easy Click is having to pay for one night if you cancel within 7 days, and my stay starts on Sunday night (6 days away). And I've checked other things today, not much budging in price, really odd. I think most of these places aren't going to lower prices on their regular sites, but they might do it on Priceline. (Nothing new on Hotwire, though.) We decided that location was more important than the nicer hotel, so my absolute, cancel-on-the-day-of-stay backup is now the LaQuinta downtown (which isn't exactly downtown, but close enough), chosen based on a combo of location and reviews. THEIR prices dropped by $20/night this morning, and I promptly redid my res. I thought that would be a sign for others but so far not so much. I can't really bid 3* on Priceline because too many of them will be notably north of the old town area.

The great hotel room chase always has me on the edge of my seat. It usually doesn't take this long though. ;-)

PS Your Easy Click Travel affiliate link is not working....

PPS If you want me to shut up about the process let me know. :-) I thought others might be interested in the various things being tried here, but it may stray a little from the typical aim of the board.

Easy Click Travel came back with a confirm! So no more bidding for me this trip.

Hope this helps someone. Thanks for reading.

Booked as "request" on Easy Click Travel 3/28/10

$125.xx/night for 3 nights

4/4/10-4/7/10

Unsure of what the equivalent star level should be. At least 3* if not 3.5* or 4*. Priceline has it in their standard listings (at $299/night!) but does not give a star level. Easy Click called it 3* I think. I dunno. I was going for location more than real 4* amenities. If I paid more than a 3* bid would have been for what turns out to be a 3* place, well, it was worth it to get the right location. It looks fine. You can read about it on the site or TripAdvisor.

Inn on Fifth

699 5th Avenue South

Naples, FL

http://www.innonfifth.com/

This was not a hidden/opaque bid; Easy Click Travel did give the name of the hotel. The risk here was that it wasn't a confirmed reservation at the time of booking. It was possible the hotel would refuse.

Confirmed 3/30/10, took an hour or two longer than the stated 48 hours.

Still listed for $299 elsewhere. According to booking will probably be stuck with double bed instead of king, but I can live with that.

CrazyOne,

Just to let you know I enjoyed your saga and appreciate the time you spent typing it. As I clicked in here, I noticed your thread already had 80 views so others also were following. And people searching on Naples at a later date will also have the benefit of your efforts.

Priceline doesn't always work for me either, but I always give it a shot first.

Regarding the Easy Click non-function, I understand the board is working on some overhauls and is addressing such issues. Doesn't hurt to mention it again though.

Enjoy Naples!

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]