bidding for dates farther out or shorter notice???

annecb
By annecb,
in

I have used PRICELINE twice, both for Chicago area and both times got Hotel Felix which was fine. I have usually done it a couple weeks before going but something has come up a couple months out and wondered if you are better to wait to bid till closer . When I check others wins it appears they are done more for the 2-3 weeks out. Is it better to wait??

Also, I did check wins and someone won Hotel Allerton on the same dates for $54 per night which is a great price (similar to my Hotel Felix wins) but hotel Allerton is not something I would enjoy getting . The rooms are super small. The rooms are small at Hotel Felix but I still prefer that to Allertown.

If you bid higher do you get the lower hotel say Allerton just at a higher rate or would they give you some other hotel that will take that amount as the lowest?

Any recommendations or comments? Any way to try to avoid getting allertown which is in the area I want?

annecb

There is no way to know regarding bidding last minute or further in advance; it depends on city, date and hotel, as well as other factors. If there's a convention or other event happening, or if it's a busy season and traffic comes in higher than expected, rates could suddenly ramp up or options may suddenly become unavailable. One also has to be realistic; if rates are already low for your dates, downside/discount may be limited, as hotels likely do have a "floor" for discounts due to profit margins.

If you try to bid higher to get a particular hotel, you could very likely get the same hotel you would have bid for had you bid lower ("overbidding.") With PRICELINE, you have to be willing to accept any of the possibilities - if there is a hotel you do not want, you may be better with HOTWIRE, where you can make a guess based upon the information showing which hotel it may be.

Additionally, the Allerton was last reported on PRICELINE as a 3.5* - the Felix was last reported as a 4*.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]