Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Chicago (Mag Mile-Streeterville) Embassy Suites Lakefront

Sunrise220
By Sunrise220,
in

My first attempt at researching and booking with hotwire/priceline and have been reading, reading, and reading. Love this website! I'm really liking the Embassy Suites idea, but not sure if it is available for my dates. It seems a bit more $$ than some other hotels, but might be worth it given the free breakfast. Would enjoy having a pool, so the kids could unwind a bit, but not completely necessary. We'll be 2 adults and two children (5 & 10). Need to be close - walking distance or easy city transportation - to lots of stuff to do. Planning to take in some of the museums in Grant Park, Museum of Science & Industry, American Girl doll store and Watertower Place, skydeck or Hancock tower. Even read something about the Chicago Fed Reserve free tour. Disappointed to see that Navy Pier is not so highly recommended - would younger kids like it? What about the many boat ride tours? We need everything - recommended eating too. Definitely need Chicago Style Pizza (we have a Giordano's here locally - so not that, although we do like it). Is it too early to start bidding/looking for these June dates? Any help given is appreciated.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you're plans are firm and you see a good deal it's never too early to make your purchase.

What is your desired zone, star rating, and budget?

If you search HOTWIRE for 2adults/2children does any appear within your parameters?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

7 3-star hotels are available -(loop or Mag Mile). We just want to be walking distance to everything downtown (vs closer to the airport). Not a particular hotel, necessarily. The cheapest thing I see is $119 - which seem high for what others seem to be getting. The only one offering a breakfast and pool is $139. Guess I'll wait it out since we have time, unless I am missing something.

An assortment of things:

1. Navy Pier is fine for kids, but it really wouldn't be my first (or second or third) recommendation. I would far and away rather recommend the Lincoln Park Zoo/Nature Museum combo (see below) over the Pier. The Children's Museum at NP would be fun for them - but the rest of it is overpriced and not particularly memorable - the rides are pricey, the restaurants pricey (and not really unique in any way) and much of the space is filled with booths selling souvenir-type items. Navy Pier is definitely a tourist trap.

Personally, I would much rather recommend a combination of the Peggy Notabert Nature Museum (small admission fee; this is a nature museum geared a bit towards younger audiences; there's a beautiful live butterfly exhibit) and the Lincoln Park Zoo (awesome and free), which are next to one another in the Lincoln Park area. The Lincoln Park Conservatory (which is also free and has great flower shows) is also right there, as is a popular Farmer's Market (Wednesday/Saturday). If you have more time in the day, the lovely Old Town area and the Chicago Historical Society are also right nearby.

Personally, I think you could do something like this:

Day 1 (15th): Check-in/Michigan Ave shopping and/or boat tour (depending on when you get in) and then up to the Hancock Observatory.

Day 2 (16th): Field/Shedd (which are next to each other). Millennium Park on the way back.

Day 3: (17th) Lincoln Park Zoo/Notabert Museum/Historical Society

Day 4: (18th) Museum of Science and Industry (which is a definite trip; it's a ways South of the city.) I'd recommend taking the Metra train from the Millennium Park station.

Day 5 (19th) See American Girl before leaving.

That's just a rough outline.

As for hotel, prices are going to be higher during this time of year, which is busy in Chicago. Prices for dates during the this current time of year (March-April) are going to be cheaper, as it's definitely a slower period.

Rates are also going to vary from day-to-day; if there's a convention or something else going on on these dates, they will be pricier than dates around it. Regular rates do actually look unusually high for these dates - there is a sizable convention that ends on the 16th (40,000 people), and that is likely driving up prices, although there are also smaller conventions going on during the period, as well.

There is a 4.5* showing for these dates w/restaurant, fitness, business, internet for $119; that's actually cheaper than the other listings showing for these dates. This would possibly be the Intercontinental, James or Conrad - all three are very nice properties and quite well-located. While those possibilities don't have a pool (the Intercontinental does have a pool, but it's definitely not a relaxation pool - it's a junior-olympic lap pool), that is an awfully good deal, considering what prices are like for these dates.

There is a 3* in the Loop w/breakfast when I search on HOTWIRE for $145; this would likely be the La Quinta - while it would offer breakfast, that would NOT be a convenient location and the Intercontinental would be a far nicer hotel for the money. Additionally, there are some very nice, reasonable breakfast spots in the city.

Please ask any questions at all. :)

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Additionally, I wouldn't recommend waiting - these do appear to be quite expensive dates when I look for regular rates on Expedia or Orbitz and other regular rate services. Rates could go down, but these dates do appear busy and if they stay that way, the $119 offer could go at any time, then you're left with a couple of possibilities at $143 a night, neither of which are that appealing.

June is a busy month and hotels tend to get significantly higher prices for their rooms. If you go to Priceline and ask for a 4* hotel and bid in the $85-$100 area chances are that you'll come up with the Mellenium Knickerbocker Hotel. For 3.5* the Westin or Embassy Suites might come up. Whatever you do reserve now as rates for the better hotels can approach $275 per night in the summer months.

We are taking our chances and waiting it out since we can adjust the length of our stay if necessary. But do plan to book through this site.

Now I am seeing....

4 1/2 star, MMS, Fitness, Bus Ctr, HS internet, Rest - $119 - Conrad, InterCont, & James (?)

3 star MMS, Fitness, Bus Ctr, HS internet - $99 - Holiday Inn Express, Hilton Garden, Inn of Chicago (?)

Any thoughts? Remember, we have kids 5 & 10 with us.

If you want to wait out and book more towards the dates of travel, there could very well be different listings appearing by the time you do book, as HOTWIRE listings change all the time. The 3* would not likely be the HGI, which would be the most family friendly of those 3 possibilities.

When I search for 2/2, the 3* is showing for $139 and the 4.5* is $119. The 4.5* $119 is the cheapest option available.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello!

We very recently visited Chicago MMA ~ streeterville area with 3 young children. (if interested see post regarding hotel booking here: Hotwire Chicago Mag Mile

This was not our first visit with the kids - that was actually in December ( the hotel booking for that trip is also on a post here, stayed at the W that time). Because it was the kids' first visit to the downtown Chicago area, and because the W is so close to Navy Pier, we gave in and visited Navy Pier. Frankly, I wouldn't do it again.

This trip (weekend of April 16), we were able to visit the Lincoln Park Zoo and I VERY HIGHLY recommend this. We will definitely do this again! Absolutely LOVED it. The lions and the polar bear, the lakefront location -- definite highlights!

Tip: as with many attractions, the cafe at the zoo is a bit pricey for what it is. Rather, we packed our own snacks for while at the zoo. (Aaron recommended a market that was close to our hotel - thanks Aaron!) From the zoo we walked a short distance across the street to find a neighborhood restaurant. I can't remember the name exactly... but it served pizza pot pies. Very good! The pizza is cooked like a "pot pie" and the waitress turns it over when serving it at the table... nice little twist. If I remember the name/details, I'll post.

Anyway... just wanted to echo the Lincoln Park Zoo recommendation. You will not regret the choice!

Best of luck and have fun!

PS - I think the name of that restaurant is The Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder Co (no credit cards, cash only). FYI, the dessert there (tortoni) is definitely worth it. I don't often do dessert, but the 5 of us split it... quite good.

Just secured Embassy Suites Lakefront, $89/night. I did book through this site. I'm very happy - reviews seem great and should be child-friendly.

I think we'll definately be doing the zoo and I am excited about the restaurant mentioned too.

Thanks for all the great help and posts. I'm sure I'll be using this site again. All other info is still welcome.

Congratulations on your success. :)

Awesome deal for this property during the Summer! Glad to hear you are pleased with the result.

Can you confirm the amenity icons that were showing for this listing? Thank you.

Thank you for sharing your result with the board and using the site's HOTWIRE link.

Enjoy your stay.

You'll love the free breakfast. That's where we stayed. There is a made-to-order line for eggs or an omelet any way you want, plus buffet lines with scrambled eggs, pancakes, cereal... great value for the kids. Oh, and the kids loved the glass elevators, the pool, and the hot tub, too. :) (tip: to avoid a longer made-to-order line, go to breakfast earlier rather than later - - typically the buffet lines do not have a line, regardless of timing)

Also, every evening there is a cocktail reception in the lobby serving beer, wine, liquor, and soft drinks. (Our bartender made cherry cokes for the kids.)

Have fun!!

PS - if your 10-year-old likes legos, there is a Lego Town store in the Nordstrom Mall that is a very short walk from the ES. Our nine-year-old loved it. They have some displays that appeal to younger ages, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. Amenities were as follows:

Suite

Complimentary bkfst

fitness

pool

restaurant

bus center

high speed internet

The actual dates are 6/16 - 6/19. The ES wasn't available on the 15th and we fly in at midnight (our flight just changed) so we might just stay close to the airport that night and transfer the next morning. Traveling any distance with ages 5 & 9 at midnight doesn't sound fun!

We are close to starting our details. I think I'll check into the bus passes since we will not have a car. Love the zoo idea and can't wait to try the pizza place across from the zoo too. Sounds awesome.

Again, thanks for all the help from this site.

Thank you HOTWIRE. I followed all your tips and suggestions and just secured the Embassy Suites for $89/night. An unbelievably good rate. Their rooms are going for about $249 on their web site. I've stayed at this hotel before and wanted to use them again but was not willing or able to pay the going rate. Matched up the ammenities and there it was, just waiting for me to take it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We most likely will get bus passes for a couple of days. A few questions, if someone can help.............

1. Best way to get from Embassy Suites (Lakefront) to Lincoln Park Zoo

2. Best way to get from ES to Museum of Science and Industry

3. Is the Chicago Trolley worth it - thought the kids might like the ride on a double decker

Thanks.

1. Walk out the door of the hotel and half a block South to the corner of Illinois and Columbus. Walk slightly West on Illinois and you will see a large set of stairs leading up. Once you walk up the stairs (which lead to the driveway to the NBC Tower), then you walk a slight distance further West to Michigan Ave. On Michigan Ave, I'd take the 151 bus Northbound. (http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/bus_schedules/151.pdf)

I'd also suggest the Peggy Notabert Nature Museum near the zoo, as well as the Organic Farmer's Market in the park near the Farm in the Zoo part of the Lincoln Park Zoo (the market is Wednesdays and Saturdays - http://www.chicagogreencitymarket.org/

2. This is definitely a longer trip - I'd take the Metra Electric train from The Millennium Park Station to the 55th - 56th - 57th Street Station:

The Museum of Science and Industry is a block or two East of the 55th/56th/57th St station.

3. Chicago is pretty easily explored by foot and public transit, but the ride may be fun for the kids.

They may also like the Red Line ride to the North side, as there is a point just outside of downtown where the subway heads above ground and goes on the "L" (or vice versa if you are heading South). You could choose to - after the Zoo - head North on Fullerton (which runs E/W just North of the Zoo) and walk West on Fullerton to the "L" station and then take the Red Line Southbound towards the city, then get off at the State/Grand Red Line stop and walk E on Grand back to the hotel. You could also take the Red Line North to Wrigley.

Two options:

Cab: About $40-45.

CTA Orange Line train from Midway to downtown.tp State St station, then walk one block North to Wacker, then short walk East to Michigan Ave. Then head just a tiny bit North over the Michigan Ave. bridge to the other side of the bridge. Then, once walking North over the bridge, walk East around the side of NBC Tower (so East along the river) to Columbus, then a block North.

The CTA option would be considerably cheaper, but require some lugging luggage.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]