Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Doubletree

pang
By pang,
in

I'm new to this forum and thought I would give it a try because I'm in need of a bidding strategy for 3* to 4* in NYC from 3/31 - 4/4. I have checked HOTWIRE and their rates look exceptionally high for this time period. I am going to place a bid through PRICELINE and need some pointers before I start.

I have no particular location in mind but prefer to be centrally located with quick access to the subway. I'm comfortable paying no more than $125/night, which might eliminate the 4*s but I'm willing to aim high. I also saw the wins posted for this time period and it looks like 3*s are going for $100/night in MSG and Midtowns.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

We'll take this one star rating at a time, as the 'best' zones often change when changing from 4* to 3.5*. At the 4* level it's generally considered that MTE, MTW, CPS, TS, and ESB are well located and near mass transit, but before bidding you should look at the PRICELINE zones and confirm that a hotel anywhere within the shaded boundaries of these zones would work fine for your plans. Assuming all are fine...

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE, MTW, CPS, TS, and ESB (leave off any of these zones which may not be acceptable)...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

...prefer to be centrally located...
Downtown is do-able, but it's not really considered to be "centrally located" and would be less convenient than the zones above.

If you want to include this zone in your bidding, do you still want to aim first for a 4* hotel OR are you now looking for the least expensive 3* or better in any of your acceptable zones?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There are 3*, 3.5*, and 4* hotels available, and we can supply a strategy for all three, but let's take it one step at a time... what do you want to try for first and up to what bidding limit? As well, as you lower your star ratings, there are some zones which you may want to add and others that you may want to remove, so let us know the next step in your gameplan and we'll take it from there.

Let's start with 3*s since this will likely yield a lower rate. My budget is $85/night. I hope this is reasonable.

Yesterday, I placed the following bids:

3* Soho

Bid $74, rejected & added MSG

Bid $78, rejected

Bid $85, rejected & added MTW, CPS, Chelsea, TS

Bid $86, rejected & added ESB

4* MTW, CPS, TS, MSG, ESB

Bid $100, rejected

Bid $105, rejected

I refrained from adding MTE as I've seen comments indicating public transit may be farther than desired.

I'm thinking of splitting my bids after realizing this falls on Easter weekend, which may be the cause of the rate hike. This would be my last resort, however.

As for 4*s, my preference is to remain under $130/night. Let's tackle this after we exhaust the 3*s. I know this board is for PL bids but I'm open to trying Hotwire as well. I've been vigilant in my efforts on Hotwire but haven't seen any reductions as of lately.

You can bid better and more systematically then you did... and is there a reason why you didn't try for a 3.5* between the 3* and 4* bidding cycles?

At the 3* level, which zones are you interested in and what is your maximum bid?

At the 3.5* level, which zones are you interested in and what is your maximum bid?

At the 4* level, which zones are you interested in and what is your maximum bid?

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

No reason - I got anxious and wanted to book right away.

I'm interested in the following zones for all levels 3*, 3.5*, and 4*: MTW, CPS, TS, ESB, SoHo, MSG, and MTE but I understand mass transit may be an issue here.

My maximum bids are listed below. However, I'm flexible as the dates are quickly approaching.

3* - $85

3.5* - $110

4* - $140

At the 3* level you have NO re-bid zones, at the 3.5* level you have THREE re-bid zones, at the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

I would bid as follows:

Select 3* MTW, CPS, TS, ESB, Soho...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MSG...

Select 3* MTE...

Select 3* MTW, CPS, TS, ESB, Soho, MSG...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MSG and MTE

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTW, CPS, TS, ESB, Soho, MSG, MTE...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW, CPS, TS, ESB, Soho and re-bid zone (not a zone used above)...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MSG re-bid zone (not a zone used above)...

Select 3.5* MTE re-bid zone (not a zone used above)...

Select 3.5* MTW, CPS, TS, ESB, Soho, MSG and re-bid zone (same one as your $90 bid above)...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MSG and MTE re-bid zone (same one as your $90 bid above)...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW, CPS, TS, ESB, Soho, MSG, MTE and re-bid zone (same one as $90 and $95 bid above)...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTW, CPS, TS, ESB, Soho, MSG and re-bid zone (one not yet used, such as Brooklyn, although doublecheck just before bidding to ensure still a proper re-bid zone)...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone (Brooklyn)...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, CPS, TS, ESB, Soho, MSG, MTE and re-bid zone (Brookyln)...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140

Any questions (perhaps likely :) ) feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Feeling discouraged after receiving a few rejections in NYC on Priceline so I'm going to give EWR a try. I'm interested in a 3.5* Newark Intl Airport EWR area Hotel priced at $68. The amenities are below.

Airport Shuttle

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Laundry Facilities

High-speed Internet Access

I've seen past wins for the Hilton Newark Airport (also known as Hilton Gateway and Sheraton) and think this may be the same hotel.

After reading other topics, a hotel in EWR may not offer the shortest commute to NYC. Therefore, I would like your suggestions on areas in New Jersey with mass transit near by that may be no more than 20 min train ride into NYC. Thank you in advance.

before we address this EWR property, what was your highest bid in the New York zones?

How much is your budget per night for a New Jersey stay? The Newark zone is not recommend for visiting New York City because public transportation options are limited and infrequent. For an easier commute into Manhattan, the Jersey City zone is more favorable.

BTW, the Hilton Newark Gateway, Hilton Airport, and Sheraton are three different properties.

I'm glad someone knows what they're talking about! :) I will take your recommendation and avoid the Newark zone altogether. Given that the properties in NJ are much more reasonable, my max is as follows: 3* at $70, and 4* at $100.

My highest bid for 3* in Soho, MSG, MTW, CPS, Chelsea, TS, ESB was $86. And my highest bid for 4* in MTW, CPS, TS, MSG, ESB

was $105.

How long is the commute from Jersey City to NYC? And how much is the fare?

In the future if you change locations please continue your existing thread for the same dates rather than start NEW TOPICS and we'll move the entire thread to the correct section of the board... this helps keep the board better organized by not having threads which suddenly come to a halt with no resolution as to a hotel received, failed bids, canceled trip, etc.

Commute from the waterfront area of Jersey City is ~15 minutes to midtown via PATH train... fare is $1.75.

Would you increase your 4* in Jersey City budget to $110? We'll try lower, but i think you may need to go that high to be successful.

Let us know and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

PS- what happened to your previous NYC bidding limits??

My maximum bids are listed below. However, I'm flexible as the dates are quickly approaching.

3* - $85

3.5* - $110

4* - $140

That previous strategy tailored to your preferences took some manipulating/effort to make sure you did it right.

Good news! Priceline accepted my first offer of $75 for 3* in Jersey City 3/31 - 4/4. I figured $75 would result in a rejection because there was another win posted for $86 during 4/1 - 4/4. I wish I started my bid lower or selected 4* because I saw others secured the Hyatt for about $75 back in Nov. Oh well, it's still cheaper than NYC.

Before this attempt, Priceline rejected the following offers (in addition to the bids mentioned already):

3.5* MTW, CPS, TS, ESB, Soho, MSG, MTE - $90, rejected; $95, rejected

4*MTW, CPS, TS, ESB, Soho, MSG, MTE - $100, rejected; $105, rejected

Thanks for your assistance! I will definitely use your service again as I am a regular HOTWIRE user.

Congratulations on your success!

While not NYC, looks like the savings are worth it given the higher rates across the river. Glad you're pleased with the outcome and you can make this work well for your plans.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

PS- i have added Hyatt Regency to your topic title... can you confirm that this is the property you received? Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]