Priceline Hotel: 4* Portland (Downtown) Benson

Mikol K
By Mikol K,
in

Looking to book at 4-5 * hotel in Downtown Portland, OR for 3 adults.

Hotwire shows:

4* hotel for $118 w/Food, business center and HS Internet. Not sure which hotel this is.

5* hotel for $137 w/ Non-smoking, fitness center, food, bus. center, and HS Internet. Most likely the Nines, the only 5* rated hotel.

Also looking at PRICELINE and I have placed bids up to $65 at this point, but not sure which hotel I will get and they normally do not accommodate more than 2 people. Any idea which hotel I will get if I win at PRICELINE?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Betterbidding.

The list of hotels in the state that have been reported to the board are available at the site's Priceline Hotel List for Oregon. and the list of HOTWIRE hotels is available in this hotel list.

PRICELINE does not guarantee more than 1 bed.

Please provide the date/s of travel and desired budget per night.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I was just looking for one night on 4/2. I have already looked over those provided links before I posted, but was still unable to determine the 4 star hotel or the possible priceline hotel. The budget is up to $120, however I am just working on getting the best available rate and would also like to know which hotel I would get.

Mikol K,

As PRICELINE provides no clues or amenities regarding the hotel you are bidding on, there is no way to determine which hotel you are likely to get... you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating, or higher, that you select. Also, as you are aware, another issue is that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, and you'll be triple occupancy, are you willing to take the risk that you receive a room with only one bed (or that there may be an additional charge for a third person/room with more than one bed, if available)

however I am just working on getting the best available rate and would also like to know which hotel I would get.
The two are generally mutually exclusive.... PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper than HOTWIRE, but HOTWIRE gives you the ability to take an educated guess as to the hotel you are likely to receive, so you need to make a choice as to which aspect is more important to you (and also take into consideration the double/triple occupancy issue mentioned above)

For the HOTWIRE hotels above are you searching for 3adults? As i'm getting a different offering for the 4* hotel (the hotel in my search shows more then just three amenities) when searching HOTWIRE for your dates and 3adults.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts on how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I understand all those issues, which is why this purchase is taking longer than normal for me. Normally I just use priceline and expect to get the benson or the hotel monaco and by searching for previous winning bids, I can determine exactly which hotel I will get, however this particular time I will have an extra person with me and would like to figure out the location. Yes, I did put in three people for my hotwire search. I have also done a search for 2, which does show different results, cheaper, but again I need to accommodate 3 so that will not matter.

Mikol K,

You can book the 3.5* Portland Marriott City Center via the Marriott website for $99/nite for your date. It's a pretty nice place centrally located.

Expedia has the Westin for $119/nite for 3 adults, again centrally located.

Just offering some options.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did spend another hour looking into it. I am still leaning toward the Nines as the best hotel in Portland, although I wouldn't mind staying at the Monaco again. Since I am a Starwood Preferred Gold member, the Westin is always a good choice, but since this is for my lady's bday it might not be good enough. I'll update my status when I conclude my decision.

I tried the search with 4 adults, and Hotwire shows a 4* downtown with the following amenities: Boutique, Restaurant, Business, High-Speed Internet, and Spa. The set of amenities (plus the TripAdvisor rating of 4.5) is a match for the Riverplace Hotel. I don't know if you want a hotel in this location, though.

I tried the search with 4 adults, and Hotwire shows a 4* downtown with the following amenities: Boutique, Restaurant, Business, High-Speed Internet, and Spa. The set of amenities (plus the TripAdvisor rating of 4.5) is a match for the Riverplace Hotel. I don't know if you want a hotel in this location, though.

I really appreciate the continued help, thanks. This is an interesting choice and I have been intrigued with this place for quite some time now, as I have never been here. The hotwire rate is also a deal compared to their regular rates found at their website. I love the river view, but you are right about the location. It is quite far away from the venues we will be visiting.

I've just stumbled on Travelocity's "Top Secret Hotels," which is similar to hotwire and easy to figure out which hotels are which. Over there I am getting:

the Avalon for $69 ($106 w/ t+f) and Hotel Modera for $102 ($126 w/ t+f). Avalon might be too far and Modera is a maybe. Just something I thought I'd share, since it was new to me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did spend another hour looking into it. I am still leaning toward the Nines as the best hotel in Portland, although I wouldn't mind staying at the Monaco again. Since I am a Starwood Preferred Gold member, the Westin is always a good choice, but since this is for my lady's bday it might not be good enough. I'll update my status when I conclude my decision.

The Nines is also a Starwood property.

I ended up calling SPG to make my reservation with the Nines, it was $223 for a 1 bedroom suite with 2 queens. After talking it over with my friend about our night, we figured it was farther away from our destinations than any of our other choices. My friend wanted to go with the Benson, because of the proximity. So I canceled my Nines reservation and continued my Priceline bidding, as the Benson tends to always be the winning hotel. My winning bid came at $65, which was my losing bid the other day. So I will probably upgrade to a double double junior suite, which should be $30-40 extra. Total costs will come to $120 at the most with taxes and fees.

Not as modern as the Nines or Hotel Monaco, but the Tempur-pedic beds are always nice.

And yes, I did use the PRICELINE links on this site to support all the help!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were expecting and that you're happy with the results... a nice savings vs. your alternative options.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]