Priceline Hotel: NYC MTE/MTW March 3-8

Raymond
By Raymond,
in

First time in the forum, actually registered today. Never used Priceline nor Hotwire, as I travel extensively on business, and usually just extend my trip/stay at any given hotel I'm at. This time I'll be going to NYC with my wife usually we stay with friends, but thought that this time it would be fun to do something nicer. I'd like to stay in the MTE area but MTW is fine as well. Looking for a 4*+ hotel in that area for up to $130. I've looked at your list of 4* in those areas for PL and at this price don't think I could go wrong.

Any ideas on bidding strategies or alternatives. Remember I've never done this before so I'm not comfortable with it yet. Additionally, what type of bid do you think would give me a chance at a 5* in that area for the same days?? Who knows...as I've still got time to bid, why not give it a try and splurge a little.

Thanks...

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There is only one 5* hotel that is known in the area and it comes up very rarely, and when it does, it's usually only very close to check-in.

I don't think your $130 bid will be enough for a 4* hotel in the areas you are looking (and is there a reason why you aren't including UM/CPS?).

If you're not successful with Priceline, where and how much would you be paying? We can suggest a strategy going up to $130, but if that fails, would you sooner lower your star rating, raise you maximum bid, or make some other plans?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply...

Actually I wouldn't be averse to staying in the UM/CPS area and could add to the bidding strategy if you believe that it would be possible to get a better deal.

If I couldn't get the 4*+ in these areas at $130 I would prefer considering raising my bid, and actually getting a really nice hotel in Midtown. An extra $20-30 a night won't kill me.

If I'm unsuccessful with PL I guess I'll just start that traditional search of travel sites, including checks at Hotwire (which as well I've never used) to find a good cost/benefit. Ideas??

OK, here we go....

First thing you need to know about is RE-BIDDING which is explained in the previous link. When bidding 4* in NYC you have two such re-bid zones, since this is your first time bidding, please feel free to confirm them with the board and/or ask for help before proceeding.

What follows in a lengthly strategy, but if you get your re-bid zones correct, and follow it exactly (assuming the prices are within your budget), it should go smoothly...

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone1 and...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone2 and...

Bid $120, if rejected close that browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone1 and...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone2 and...

Bid $120, if rejected close that browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Bid $120, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone1 and...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone2 and...

Bid $135, if rejected close that browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTE...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone1 and...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone2 and...

Bid $135, if rejected close that browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTE and MTW...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone1 and...

Bid $145, if rejected close that browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTE and MTW and re-bid zone2...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone1 and...

Bid $155.

If rejected you can purchase you can get the MILLENIUM UN (a 4* rated priceline hotel) for $159/nite.

Hopefully you have some questions after all that, so please feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Found a 3.5* for $132 (March 3-8) in MTE but couldn't match it exactly with anything on the "pinned" list.

Selected amenities include: Fitness Center, Business Center

Thought it would be the Roosevelt, but the Roosevelt says it has a restaurant and high-speed internet. Any ideas on what hotel this might be.

Thanks

Yes, I have tried the strategy above...3 times!! Waiting 72 hours between tries just making my top bid at $140, holding out till the end. I just tried again seeing that the Drake for similar dates was won at $124, I had big hopes, but struck out. I will try again Thrursday night again (after the 72) for the last time, then go either HotWire or price shopping on the net. Any new suggestions if I don't get my pick on PL on Thursday?? After the bid I'll drop a note with the results.

If you stopped at $140 you didn't really try the above strategy.

We can cross the 'if i fail' bridge when we get there as i think if you bid as per the prices above you will have success (assuming of course that rates are similar to what there were when i researched this and provided the strategy... i noticed the Millenium Hilton is no longer available)

Please keep us updated.

Hotwire has what seems to be the Drake for 147$ a night. I got the Drake for March 3-6 for 124$ on Priceline and I followed the strategy to a " T ". The key I believe is to log out and log in the same way from www.savingsbarn.com. I prob just got lucky but read my post and follow exactly it should work for at least 130$ a night.

-G-

pennypinchin,

It's not recommended to follow a strategy presented in another thread as strategies can differ based upon prevailing rates... following another strategy could work out ok, but it could also result in an overbid OR simply be a waste of time.

Best bet is to start your own thread with the dates of your own stay, and we will explain re-bidding there in more detail.

However, first please follow-up your previous PRICELINE NEW YORK CITY thread with what you ultimately did for that stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]