Priceline Hotel: Need help with SANTA BARBARA area

lls138
By lls138,
in

I am looking for a hotel in Santa Barbara for memorial day weekend (may 27-29). I have a wedding to attend in the area. Listed hotels are very pricey. I see no history with Priceline bidding in this area before. When trying to Priceline "Santa Barbara", there is no box to check which makes me believe that there are no priclineable hotels.

Goleta area and Solvang/Ynez area are available.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions. Also, what is the proximity of these other locations to Santa Barbara and are they worth pursuing?? If so, have any ballpark first bids?

Thanks.

LS

Goleta would be much closer. I have no idea of whats there for hotels, I usually take the pass on my way up north thru santa Ynez. I think most of the hotels are of the holiday inn, motel 6 class. Not a real travel destination, more of a budget stay up the coast. If you have time, Solvang up the coast is cute, but for sheer distance to Santa Barbara I would stay in Goleta. If you can find a deal in Montecito (just south of Santa Barbara) thats a very pretty, high end location.Good luck. :)

That is a very overpriced property. It is not located in Santa Barbara, so you will need to arrange transportation to get into town. Goleta would be the area to look for accommodation if you are interested in being closer to the Bacara.

You can check out the link for Santa Barbara accommodation I posted for heinous a few entries down on this page.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very difficuly area to get a winning bid for. I have been trying goleta for the dates I need for over 3 weeks now. Every three days I try another bid. I am up to $75 for 2* hotels!!!!!!!!! CRAZY. Anyway I have an overpriced reservation on hold just in case.

I'll keep you posted

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the SB area, so I thought I'd give you a few tips. First off, it definitely IS a tourist destination, which is why the hotels are so expensive. Memorial Day is the start of the biggest tourist season we have, so you will have a lot of trouble getting a deal.

The Bacara (where the wedding is being held) is really far north. As a previous poster said, your best bet is to stay in Goleta, which is the closest city. I would not advise staying in Carpinteria unless you have a rental car--it's 9 miles south of the city of SB, which is itself perhaps 10 miles south of the Bacara. It would take you a half hour in the best traffic to drive that far, and a cab would be about $55 each way. Not a good idea.

Santa Ynez or Solvang would be a bad idea too. The quickest route to and from those areas and the southern part of the county has been repeatedly washed out by rains this year, so it could take you hours to get to and from there. At the best of times, it would be a half hour drive or more.

I think the Motel 6 is a good bet, but go for it right away. It will fill up quickly.

The good news is that the S.B. airport is very small and very easy to deal with, so if you're flying in and out of there, you will be close to Goleta and the Bacara, and you will have a very relaxing travel experience.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]