Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Fort Lauderdale Downtown Embassy Suites

rocks
By rocks,
in

Hi!

Well, I have been surfing this site for a few weeks & I 'think' I'm ready to make a move to try this bidding stuff.

We are going on a cruise 11/30 from Fort Lauderdale & are flying in on the 28th (day after Thanksgiving) We have stayed at quite a few hotels in the Downtown area (I LOVE Ft. Lauderdale!) but would REALLY like to stay at the Embassy suites. The internet rate is $159 and for $109 we could stay at the Marriott Marina. If I could get the Embassy Suites for $59-79 I would be THRILLED!

OK...so what I need is some encouragement & any extra advice anyone is willing to offer.

Also, I'm thinking Hotwire seems easier - is that true? I know to look for 3 1/2 stars, downtown area, & the 'S' for suites.

Is it too early to book? Are there any other 3 1/2 star hotels in that area that have ever come up?

As I mentioned, I was almost ready to book the Marrriott for $109 but REALLY want to stay at the Embassy Suites.

Should I do this on my own or use the bidding services?

Any extra tips, advice & especially some encouragement would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks....Pat

Hotwire is easier from the standpoint that you don't have to pick a price, but it's usually a few dollars more than Priceline.

In Downtown Ft. Lauderdale there is indeed another 3.5* hotel that has appeared, BUT it doesn't have the Suite icon (the red S).

Our history shows that Priceline has rated the Embassy Suites 3*, and the Marriott Marina has also come up as 3* in that zone. So if you bid on Priceline, you could get either of these hotels (or some other hotel that has not yet been reported yet).

If you really prefer the Embassy Suites, i think the safer bet is to use Hotwire, and make sure you choose the 3.5* with the "S" icon (indicating a Suite), as well as compare to the other amenity icons that have been reported in the list here: Hotwire Hotel List and Tips

(also, don't confuse it with the 2.5* with the "S" icon)

I just checked your dates and it appears that the 3.5* with the "S" icon comes up at $58. There is indeed some risk (as hotels can be added/removed at anytime and there could be a hotel not yet reported with the same exact description), but i'd say your chances are EXTREMELY good (i have to hedge because it's your money, not mine, although most are on this site because they feel the savings outwieigh the risk).

So if you would be happy with either the ES or the Marriott, you could give Priceline a try. If you would much rather have the Embassy Suites (and have the greatest chance to get it based upon matching up the amenities) then you're probably better off with Hotwire.

As far as early or late to bid, i usually recommend trying to purchase as soon as your plans are firm (as rooms/reservations are non-cancellable and no refunds). The disadvantages to waiting could be that the hotel decides to no longer participate in Hotwire/Priceline, the hotel is available today but begins to book up and no longer offers availability for your dates, another hotel comes into the area with the same amenities and makes it harder to identify which one is being offered, etc, etc.

Hopefully this answers most of your question, but if you have any add'l questions, please feel free to ask. If you decide to try either, you can use the link at the top of the page.

Let us know what you decide and/or how it works out.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I GOT IT!!!

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH for your help!!!!!

Embassy Suites for $58!! The internet special on their site was $159 a night. My 2 nitghts will be less then 1 night thanks to you! I'm THRILLED!!!

Thank you again for helping me!

rocks

I'm very happy for you and glad it worked out!!

I was fairly confident it would work out this way, and i think it's as close to certain as you can get without actually seeing the name of the hotel, but there's never any guarantees until the hotel is actually revealed.

There's a very good chance you won't book a hotel any other way from now on! You'll also see how difficult it is to keep your mouth shut as you'll want to brag to everyone that you know about your great deal. (if you do, please send help spread the word and send them to BetterBidding)

Have a great hotel stay and a great cruise!

Thanks for following up with your results and we hope to see you around the board again soon.

PS- call the hotel tomorrow and put in your bed request (King, Queen, etc) and preference for smoking/non-smoking

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotwire is easier from the standpoint that you don't have to pick a price, but it's usually a few dollars cheaper than Priceline.

I think you meant Hotwire is usually a few dollars more expensive. (Of course there are exceptions, and there are lots of times where Hotwire is the best deal for getting a room when all factors are considered.)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]