Hotwire Hotel: Trying to figure out a few downtown hotels on Hotwire 6/4-6/6

pixie508
By pixie508,
in

2* - Mag Mile/Streetersville, $99 - 6/4-6/6/10

35% recommend (that makes me nervous)

I'm trying to figure this out, and I've looked through the hotel list. It doesn't list any ammenities

(I thought maybe Inn of Chicago, but maybe not...)

3.5* - Chicago Loop, $274 - 6/4-6/6/10

75% recommended

Fitness/High Speed Internet

I'm guessing Club Quarters Chicago

4* - North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast , $259 - 6/4-6/6/10

60% recommend

Boutique/Fitness Center/Restaurant/Business Center/High Speed Internet/Golf nearby

I'm thinking maybe the Whitehall by your descriptions in the Hotel list, however their direct site says they have no rooms that night.

I'm having issues w/ finding a reasonable hotel downtown that weekend, as apparently there is some kind of conference for physicians (35,000 attendees according to one of the commerce websites), and the few hotels that do have openings are saying that its going to be $350+ a night (the courtyard told me $415)

I'm planning this trip for my husband's birthday, and while I don't need a super swank fabulous hotel, I don't want to stay at a dump either. I'd like to stay either downtown or really close to downtown. I did get tix to a CWS game while we're there, but don't want to stay in that area (I've heard its not a nice place to stay, and not much around)

Do any of you have a guess at the 2* and a recommendation about which place would be best. I'm I better off trying to wait a little longer? I just get nervous, especially since a lot of things are already completely booked because of the convention in town.

Welcome to Betterbidding! :)

Yipes! Those are some tough rates. Let me look and see what I can find for these dates. Are you driving or flying in (in terms of suggesting areas outside the city, there are some I would only recommend if driving.)

Are there any amenities showing with the 2*? There are few possibilities for what it could be, though - I'm guessing the Red Roof Inn is a possibility, and maybe the Howard Johnson (although I think that may fall in the NMA zone.)

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

We're flying into Midway, but not renting a car. I really don't want to stay near the airports (I can get reasonable rates by the airports, and way outside the city) - we want to stay downtown, or right in the general vicinity.

the 2* lists no ammenities, and I don't want to stay at the HOJO or RRI, so I may have to step it up....

Do you think I'd benefit from holding out?

What about the 3.5* and 4* do you think I'm right? what do you think of those hotels?

Okay ... way cheaper idea

Expedia.com has a condo for $180 for these dates - Steps to Everything - Gold Coast 10 - for $180. 800 Square Feet, and awesome location a few blocks from Lincoln Park (and probably about a 7-10 minute walk to Michigan Ave. Also right near the Gold Coast area, which has a fabulous Farmer's Market on Saturday's. Also right near the Old Town area and Zoo.

Would be an unusual choice and I'm not familiar with the property, but it's an 800 square foot condo (according to Expedia.com) in a really nice neighborhood - it would seem like a far more appealing idea (to me, at least) than spending a lot more for the CQ or Whitehall.

On the high end:

Expedia.com also has the Walton Residence, which is a new-looking 4* condo property - great location right off Michigan Ave, and the pictures look quite sleek. That is much more expensive though, at $284. On the higher end, if I had to choose between the CQ (whose rooms are rather basic) and the Walton Residence for about the same price, the Walton Residence looks - at least from the fab pics - to be the better choice.

Please use the site's Expedia.com link to start your purchase if you decide to go this route.

I would like to be between $100-200/ night, but I would be willing to be in the $250-300 range for the right hotel.

It just stinks that my husbands birthday and the CLE/CSW game falls on a "bad" weekend because of this convention.

I really appreciate your help with this. I've been racking my brain! I'm Silver Elite w/ Marriott, and I have rewards w/ Crowne Plaza/Holiday Inn and HiltonHonors, but none of them could help me!

I've walked past both buildings many times and the neighborhoods are certainly terrific in both instances. I've not stayed at either or been in either buildings, but the Gold Coast area is certainly more upscale in terms of the condo buildings, especially a little further North. Additionally, if anything is problematic, you could call Expedia. It's not unusual for condo buildings to rent rooms on the popular travel services - quite a few major downtown condos rent rooms on Expedia and Orbitz.

I don't know for certain, but I believe one also doesn't have to pay hotel tax when going this route - nevermind, taxes are charged for this property.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]