Hotwire Hotel: NYC - May 7-12

t13nif
By t13nif,
in

I have my airfare booked and a back-up reservation at the Belvedere which i can cancel up until the day before arrival. I am planning on checking Hotwire and Priceline continously until departure--i have noticed that checking so far in advance on Hotwire for instance has resulted in a best rate of $180 /night at 4* MTE (it's showing $188 as of today--is this the Grand Hyatt?). I have noticed that the rates are quite a bit less one week in advance of the desired 'booking'. Is this due to the season (Jan) or is this fairly typical? I was hoping if i wait until the last week before my trip i could get a great deal on Hotwire last minute (i am scared of Priceline!)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Rates are likely currently much less than you're seeing in May due to seasonal factors, not because it is now last minute for January. January is one of the cheapest months in Manhattan.

Please go back to HOTWIRE and list here all the amenities associated with this property... then we will be able to help you identify it.

Also, what is the price of your back-up at the Belvedere.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The 4* MTE has Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, Tennis Nearby, Business Center (it's at $238 today). 4 1/2* MTE has the same amenities minus tennis.

The backup rate for the Belvedere is $125, $155, $160, $160, $160 for a total of $760 plus taxes.

So would you recommend trying Priceline?

The 4.5* is most likely the Inter-Continental Barclay. The 4* as you describe is most likley the Grand Hyatt, but in doing a search for your dates i just received a 4* with the above amenities but with a pool icon (likely the Millenium UN)... so be careful. I'm showing the 4.5* at $317/nite... is this really even an option? If you decide to take any of these please use THIS LINK to begin your purchase.

Should you try Priceline? I don't know, you said about you are "scared" of Priceline... what is it that you are scared about? How 'fussy' are you when it comes to a hotel room? Are there any hotels that you would absolutely want to avoid? Are you only looking for a hotel in the MTE zone, or are you also open to other areas (such as MTW and UM/CPS)?

If you'd like to try Priceline let us know and we'll suggest an appropriate strategy if you also supply your maximum bid amount and desired star rating.

Let us know whatever you decide to do.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well i am somewhat fussy on the location of the hotel--i would prefer to be in the Times Square/Theatre district. I am satisfied with the Belvedere reservation and would only look at cancelling that reservation if i could get a significantly better deal on a more upscale property. I am not interested in paying more than the Belvedere reservation (which is $760USD plus taxes). I am not too familiar with NYC, having only been there once last summer and i didn't get to explore much. I am travelling with my elderly mother so we want clean, safe, comfortable and relatively cheap.

I am scared of Priceline only because i have never used it and have no idea what a good price/bid is for NYC hotels. From what i gather on this board, i am thinking i should stay away from the Millenium UN ??

I'm not sure what your experience is with the Belvedere or its appeal; the reviews are indeed excellent, but it's also listed as a 2* hotel (also rated 2* by Orbitz, 3* by Expedia).

One comment that i always make when it comes to hotel reviews is that they're relative to expectations. Users can go to a nice Days Inn for $100/nite and have rave reviews as it exceeeds their expectations, and a Hilton for $300/nite could have negative reviews because it is not up to the typical Hilton standards... but offer users that Hilton for $100/nite and they're estatic, and would take the 'bad' Hilton over the 'good' Days Inn almost everytime.

Is the Belvedere a diamond in the rough that is under-rated, or is it a hotel with great reviews because users expect little from it and receive more? (this is rhetorical, i don't think there is an answer, but the truth probably lies somewhere in between).

Given the Belvedere's 2* rating, or the benefit of the doubt of a 'shakey' 3* rating, i think you can get a better deal on a more upscale property, but to do so you need to be willing to accept the likelihood of less stellar reviews (for reasons mentioned above) and be a bit more flexible in knowing the exact location of your hotel.

Opaque purchases are not for everyone, and it may or may not be right for you in this particular situation... but for anyone that can be flexible in their plans, the savings and value can be incredible.

Yes, i see what you are saying. I was drawn to the Belvedere mainly because of the favorable reviews/ appealing cost. For me, location and cleanliness are probably the most important factors. Amenities are not a priority. I do have to take my mom into consideration as well. I was previously going to book the Novotel, only because my sister stayed there and said it was ok. But the Belevedere had good reviews and was much cheaper. So all in all, i don't know what to do!! We are both newbies to NYC and a little worried so i thought if we could stick with an area i am *somewhat* familiar with we would do ok. We are both pretty easy going as far as expectations go--we have both stayed in fleabags motels and some of the finest hotels in Canada and find that there are more similarities than differences between them!!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]