GA Atlanta Airport Renaissance Concourse

Welldone Rumproast
By Welldone Rumproast,
in

This first-class property is arguably the best hotel in the immediate area of Hartsfield Internetional Airport. It is rated 4* by AAA and 3* by Mobil.

The hotel is literally adjacent to the north runways of the airport. There's a reason for this - the hotel was built on the site of the old Atlanta Municipal Airport Terminal (the old building was razed when the new Hartsfield "mid-field" complex was opened in the early '80s).

The hotel is eleven stories and features an open atrium design with glass elevators in the center atrium area. The rooms are medium-sized and in excellent condition, with large picture windows and a step-out balcony. I asked for and received a room on the airport runway since I like watching the airport activity and because the sound doesn't bother me (the soundproofing is excellent, however, it is by no means 100% total, so be aware of this factor).

The room furnishings include a large desk with data-port-equipped phone, along with a second phone bedside. The king bed had four soft pillows and was triple-sheeted. Lamps had bulbs with good wattage and an alarm clock-radio was on one nightstand. There was a very comfortable love-seat-size sofa as well (I forgot to look if it was a foldout sleeper).

The large screen TV (probably 27" ) had about 35 cable channels, including the usual suspects (and including four ESPN options) :) Pay movies and 24 hours of internet via the TV (web-tv style, with decent reposnse time) are available for $10.95. No Nintento, though.

The bathroom is large with shower-tub and marble sink area. The shower water pressure was good to very good (though not pummeling the way I like it) :o A good-quality line of "Bio" soaps and shampoos is provided. A coffeemaker is also provided, and iron and board are in the closet. Housekeeping is excellent and towels are aplenty.

The Concourse Grill is the restaurant in the atrium area. I had breakfast one day, and the quality was very good, although the omelette station promised in the hotel book was not provided. $10.95 for the full (hot) option, $8.95 for the continental. Coffee was excellent.

Coke products are sold in vending machines on each floor for only 75 cents (I wonder if Coca-Cola being HQ'ed in ATL has any thing to do with this) :)

The staff was very friendly and has been trained to be very gracious. The person checking me in was especially good.

Tip: If you don't have a car, use the hotel shuttle to get to the airport, where you can catch MARTA (the rapid-transit system) for many dining and tourist options. The basic fare is $1.75 for a single trip on the system (multiple-day options are also available). The shuttle runs every 15 minutes. When arriving exit baggage claim and go to the F parking area to catch the shuttle (the Renaissance shuttle will use one of the parking slots between F-1 and F-8). Lots of food options at Underground Atlanta (Five Points station), Peachtree Center and Lenox Square http://www.itsmarta.com/

• 1 month later...

I just returned from a night's stay at this hotel. Previous review is generally on the mark. The renovation appears to be on upper floors and is blocked off by plastic - had no impact on the rest of the hotel. We had two rooms and found the beds in both to be a bit too soft - otherwise this is a fine property. Best to ask for a room on the side away from the airport runway - it's quieter. We stayed on that side and had no problems at all with noise. The jacuzzi in the indoor pool area appears to be more or less permanently out of order.

Staff was very friendly and accomodating. Parking is $6 per day but allows unlimited in and out privileges.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]