Priceline Hotel: 3.5* NYC (MTE) Roosevelt Hotel

bakkie
By bakkie,
in

Hello, this will be our first touristic trip to New York and our first use of Priceline and Betterbiddding. I have read a lot on Betterbidding regarding Priceline (little less on using Hotwire) and I saw that all people here get very good and detailed advice, thanks in advance for that! I also read the getting started thread.

Our stay will be in the period of monday may 3rd until friday may 14th. I have read about the possibility on splitting our stay in hotels, we don't really mind if we have to change hotels once, but we'd rather not offcourse. But what would be a best split date?

Our budget is about $100 a night (including taxes), I am not really sure whether this is realistic for priceline? If not, plz tell us. Star rating isn't that important, as long as the hotel is clean and proper. $100 inlcuding taxes is a bid of about $80 a night?

Regarding regions, well best would be centre manhattan, in priority: TS, MW, ME, CPS, ESB, MSG, CA, UES, UWS, if again realistic.

What would be a good strategy? Bidding first on about 2,5 stars and adding zones? Are there any zones which are not advised which I state above? Thanks for any answers :)

Geetings from Holland!

(BTW: we like colorfull hotels :) )

(For my help: Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'm not sure your $80 maximum bid would be realistic, but you can give it a try, but for us to suggest a strategy, let's first comfirm your zone(s).

TS, MW, ME, CPS, ESB, MSG, CA, UES, UWS
I don't think i would include UES and UWS in the bidding as at the 2.5* level you're likely to end up in the Northern end of the zone, which is a bit far from where you would idealy like to be... but as your budget is on the low end of a likely accepted range, not sure if you want to include these in hopes of getting a cheap deal OR if you would prefer to increase your maximum bid for a more centrally located area.

Do you want to first try up to $80 not including UWS and UES, then make a decision if rejected?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 2.5* level you have NO re-bid zones.

Select 2.5* TS, MTW, MTE, CPS

Bid $55, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2.5* ESB, MSG, Chelsea

Bid $55, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2.5* ESB, MTW, MTE, CPS

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2.5* TS, MSG, Chelsea

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2.5* TS, MSG, MTE, CPS

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2.5* ESB, MTW, Chelsea

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2.5* TS, MTW, Chelsea, CPS

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2.5* ESB, MSG, MTE

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2.5* TS, MTW, MTE, CPS, ESB

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2.5* TS, MTW, MTE, CPS, MSG

Select 2.5* TS, MTW, MTE, CPS, Chelsea

Select 2.5* ESB, MSG, TS, MTW, MTE, CPS

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2.5* ESB, MSG, TS, MTW, MTE, Chelsea

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2.5* ESB, MSG, TS, MTW, MTE, CPS, Chelsea

Bid $85 (if you decide you want to try up to $85)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You could try a shorter period, but there's the concern that if you were able to get - for example - a 2.5* for $75 for half of your stay, what if the other half your stay required a bid that would result in an overall average above your max? Additionally, splitting your stay may not be successful if the $80 or under price point just isn't enough for a 2.5* for these dates in general.

While I understand about staying on budget, it may be worth trying a little bit higher for a 2.5* for the whole stay. If you were able to get a hotel for a little bit higher for the whole stay, then you wouldn't have to change hotels.

Let us know your thoughts on the above.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hi AaronJB, thanks for your thoughts! I did not try to split up the period, but that would be my next strategy. Yesterday we tried some bids again and some higher bids (up to $85) but not yet a bid of $90. We have the time, tonight I will have a look at HOTWIRE and what prices they offer, perhaps try a higher PRICELINE bid or split up the period.

Thanks again and I will post the next outcomes!

Don't pay a great deal of attention to the median retail price differences. You could certainly try bumping up to $95 and see if any properties accept, or try 3*, although if a 3* is going to accept (and unfortunately, I think that may be tough) it's most likely going to be at the top end of your budget range.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

This means I have better chance of winning when bidding on 3 star hotels?
Not necessarily.... as AaronJB pointed out, you shouldn't use PRICELINE's "median price" in your bidding strategy; but even if you did, we have seen many examples of a higher priced hotel accepting your winning bid, so there is not a strong a correlation of the hotel with the lowest retail price being the won that you'll receive.
Btw I have raised my budget to 90 -95 dollars, perhaps even want to try 100. Should I change may strategy? Tnx again.
I'd repeat the previous strategy above, but raise each bid by $15, so that you're starting at $70 and increasing each 'group of bids' by $5 from the previous bid.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I've been bidding up until $95, but no luck. What to do, try again next week, split up the dates or should I go on a different star level? We streched our budget little more and are willing to go up until $105. Should I stay at 2,5 star level? Or try also 3 star level because that would mean other hotels and perhaps other deals.

Secondly, when I want to split dates, in the period 5/3 till 5/14, split before the weekend on 5/7 or on sunday (5/9), or is there no best split and just try?

Should I stay at 2,5 star level? Or try also 3 star level because that would mean other hotels and perhaps other deals.
When you select a star level it is the minimum you're willing to accept... so PRICELINE has already been checking 3* (and higher) hotels on your 2.5* bids.
Secondly, when I want to split dates, in the period 5/3 till 5/14, split before the weekend on 5/7 or on sunday (5/9), or is there no best split and just try?
I would simply try to get the greatest number of dates you can on the first purchase, so going thru each bidding cycle for each set of dates:

5/3-5/14

5/3-5/13

5/4-5/14

5/3-5/12

5/5-5/14

5/3-5/11

5/6-5/14

5/3-5/10

5/7-5/14

5/3-5/9

5/8-5/14

• 2 weeks later...

Back again! Last week I have been trying your suggested strategy, it resulted in one booking for the moment! We booked The Roosevelt from 5/3 till 5/7 for $110! Very happy with this :)

We now still have a week left and we'd rather do nog change hotels during this week. So our challenge is now to book one hotel for at least 2,5 stars for max 115 dollars. Think that will be possible, aiming off course at 3 stars first. So fingers crossed the upcoming weeks for booking 5/7 till 5/14!

Through hotwire we saw one 3-star hotel from 5/7 till 5/13 for $149 in midtown central area, but it misses the last night.. my guess it's the Park Central New York Hotel, in Central park south. But we need the last night too offcourse.

I'll let you know when there are results! tnx again for your great help AaronJB and thereuare :)

Congratulations on your (partial) success!

As this topic title will now reflect your purchase of the Roosevelt for 5/3-5/7, please start a NEW TOPIC for the balance of your stay.

Please remember to use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases and searches too.

Enjoy this leg of your NYC stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]