Priceline Hotel: Advice on 4th of July in San Francisco

mtsublueraider
By mtsublueraider,
in

Hey board! You guys have been a blessing in the past helping me in past trips. My wife and I will be in San Francisco the night of June 30 and then the nights of July 3 and July 4. She really wants to stay in Fisherman's Wharf area so we can park our car and go eat at the nice resturants downtown near the water. Any advice?

I'd surely be happy with any of the 3.5 starts in FW but I have mixed reviews on the 3* property. Most likely it would be the Holiday Inn which I'm not really sold on. I've bid all the way up to $90 for each night. But, by using the calendar for priceline for 2009 around 4th of July I was seeing the 3.5* go for under $100 for sure. Think I'm bidding too far out?

I see on HOTWIRE where the holiday inn in FW is showing for around $76.

Thanks for any advice!

Please use separate threads for each stay. We'll use this thread for your 7/3/10-7/5/10 stay, free free to start a NEW TOPIC for your 6/30 stay (or eventual win)

At this point i would think it's just a bit early... rates are not too high at the moment for these dates, but hotels may be reluctant to sell rooms at to deep of a discount, prefering to see how reservations come in relative to expectations due to the holiday weekend. While HOTWIRE's 3* is priced at $76/nite... the 3.5* is priced at $159/nite, which is not much of a discount vs. conventional rates for 3.5* hotels when booking direct for these nites.

I would be patient, book a cancellable back-up if you can, and continue to bid once a week or so (and monitor HOTWIRE for any price changes or new availablity)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Are you willing to consider other zones? I just won on priceline the Hyatt in the Embarcadero zone for $90 on July 2-5. You may also get a 3-4* hotel in Union Square East or Union Square West zones for under 100 as well. San Francisco is fairly compact and you can get to Fisherman's Wharf taking the street car from Embarcadero and Union Square.

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn on Fisherman's Wharf before. While the room I had was nice and clean, it was on the first floor of the auxiliary building which actually is below street level so the view was very limited.

Thanks for the advice. That's good to know. My thinking is that since my wife wants to visit the resturants and everything that is in the FW area we would want to stay close to the FW area. We'll have a car so I might as well park it at the hotel and leave it for those days. Do you remember if there were in and out privlidges at the Holiday Inn? We'll want to drive to the golden gate and such. I have been to San Fran just once before and was amazed at how "small" the area was. Parking cheaper in other zones?

Street car may be the way to go!

I did not have a car during my trips to San Francisco. I have noticed hotels, including the Holiday Inn, have parking rates from $30-50. Don't know about in and out privileges. I have noticed that driving can be a hassle and it is definitely better to use public transportation to get around the city.

Perhaps someone more familiar with San Francisco can comment about the parking situation.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]