Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Chicago (Magnificent Mile-Streeterville) Embassy Suites Lakefront

AngS1967
By AngS1967,
in

We have started some preliminary planning for March break and Chicago seems to be leading the race in votes. We went last year and fell in love with the city and had a fabulous time thanks to all the info Aaron provided on where to eat and shop etc. (Thanks again Aaron!)

We are again looking at March break but have flexibility within the week. Right now we are thinking 3 or 4 nights and either the MagMile or GoldCoast areas.

A couple of ones that interested me when I looked tonight were (any thoughts on what they may be?):

Gold Coast (dates Mar 16-19th) 2 adults/ 2 children

4 star: fitness, pool, rest, bus centre, internet & spa

hot rate, low price guarantee & best value

$84/night

MagMile (dates Mar 15-19th) 2 adults/ 2 children

3.5 star: suite, breakfast, fitness, pool, rest, bus centre & internet

hot rate

$83/night

Or any other ideas or suggestions you may have, Aaron (or anyone else). Would like to stay under $90/night before fees/taxes or max of $100 night with fees/taxes, if possible.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

I will of course use the sites Hotwire or support links (depending upon what I end up booking).

Angela :)

I'm thrilled that my suggestions were helpful! :)

For 3/17-21: A bit above your max, the Sutton Place Hotel is showing for $107 on Expedia.com (35% off sale), and coupon 10WINTER works for $40 off/$10 off each night. This is an excellent boutique property in the Gold Coast neighborhood, which would be the other side of the NMA area from the choices below (while those are on the South end of the NMA area, this would be a couple of minutes walk from the North end.) The Lincoln Park Zoo is a nice 12-15 minute walk North, through the GC neighborhood (which has quite a few beautiful and/or historic (there is an early Frank Lloyd Wright work a few blocks North) apartments. Once one walks North past the apartments, the Chicago Historical Society museum is right there, the Zoo is just a little further and the Old Town area is nearby. There is also a Red Line subway station (Clark/Division) nearby the hotel.

The Gold Coast area has quite a few restaurants nearby (such as the popular Original Pancake House across the street), as well as the Oak St boutique stores. This spot is shown quite often on the E!/Style show, "Giuliana and Bill", as they live right nearby. The Sutton is $107 for this set of dates (3/17-21), but appears more expensive when trying other dates around the time period.

For 3/15-19:

The 4* NMA would likely be the W Lakeshore, while the 3.5* MM would likely be the Embassy Suites Lakefront. Both are only a few blocks from one another, but fall within different zones.

I've liked my stays at the Chicago W properties (in large part because they are such a departure from the look and feel of the majority of other hotels in the city), but they are (quite) understandably not going to be everyone's cup-of-tea (and the reviews are "love it or hate it"), and wouldn't be a choice for a quieter getaway. One has to be in the mood for a funky, trendy, boutique that - at least in the public areas - may be loud at times. Both W properties are renovations of older, more basic properties and have their own unique look/style, as well as the W Beds. Not all rooms at this property face the lake (which is an upgrade), but a good portion of the rooms that face the city have nice views, as well. This same listing comes up for $74 (you may see a slightly different rate) when I search for 3/17-21. Additionally, while only a few more blocks further from Michigan Ave than the Embassy, if it's cold out, the extra blocks may feel a little longer. Although, with Chicago weather, March may be warm - you never know - there wasn't even that much snow here this year, especially compared to normal or last year's very harsh Winter.

The Embassy Suites Lakefront is essentially behind the Intercontinental and across from Dominicks. Both ES properties in Chicago are very nice examples of the chain, and both have been renovated (although they're not that old to begin with) in recent years. The ES would be a very different property than the W, but in its own way, also a great choice - kitchenette in room, free breakfast, evening reception and larger room.

Overall, the Embassy Suites - while not as upscale - would be the best value (larger room, free breakfast/reception) and is a nice hotel. $74-84 is a very good rate for a W property, but I would highly recommend looking at some of the tripadvisor reviews/photos to get a better feel for whether the hotel would be what you are looking for.

The Sutton would be a solid choice for a more traditional upscale/boutique property, and for a quieter stay. Very nice/different area, as well.

Thank you for using the site's PRICELINE, HOTWIRE or Expedia inks to start your purchases and searches.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aaron,

I just booked for March 16-19/10 (using the site's HOTWIRE link of course) for the 3 1/2 star for $83 and it was indeed the Embassy Suites Lakefront. I am very pleased with that as it is myself and my teenage daughter and her friend, so having the extra space with 2 teenagers will be welcomed and the complimentary breakfast and evening reception will definitely help the pocketbook. Last year we stayed at the Intercontinental and loved it too. We shopped at Dominiks a few times (for the best carrot cake in the world - did you ever get to try it?), so we know the location well.

I still have all the info you provided us last year on where to eat etc, as I printed it off. Some favourites that we will visit again will of course be the Cheesecake Factory, Giordanos, and Flat top Grill. With 2 - 16 year olds, the focus of our trip will be shopping and we loved State Street and the Water Tower Mall last year. I will also have to visit the Spice House again as I am almost out of a few of my favourites I bought last year.

The girls want to do the Pier, 'the bean' and the Art Institute as they are things we did not get to do last year (due to time) and I want to see a show. I am hoping that something of interest is playing at the Drury Lane, as its nice to stay in the familiar areas at night.

Please feel free to provide any additional thoughts or suggestion, Aaron. Your advice made last years trip perfect.

Thanks again to Better Bidding for this great forum!

Awesome deal for this Embassy Suites property, and the Dominicks carrot cake (which I tried recently, and was excellent) will be right across the street. Fox and Obel Cafe and Market (fox-obel.com) is also a couple of blocks East on McClurg and Illinois, and there's a giant movie theater and bowling alley half a block E on Illinois from the hotel.

Shopping on Michigan Ave. is definitely fun, but I think Belmont may be worth going to, as there are a lot of neat thrift stores (Ragstock, Brown Elephant and many others) around the vicinity of Belmont and Broadway, and one can really find some gems at times in these places (the Brown Elephant is also a charitable organization, as well.) Ann Sather on Belmont is a great choice for breakfast, but I would highly recommend going there on an empty stomach, as the portions are sizable and the food is rich. Ann Sather is an institution in the North Side area.

There is a great walking route from Belmont/Broadway to the Zoo if the weather is decent. If you are in the mood for a very substantial walk, you could take the subway North to Belmont, walk around Belmont, walk South to the Zoo and then to the Spice House and then back to the subway (a giant circle tour.)

You would walk North from your hotel half a block to Grand, then West on Grand to Grand/State to the subway stop and then take the Red Line North to Belmont (at one point during this trip, the subway goes from underground to the above ground tracks). Walk East on Belmont to Belmont and Broadway, browse around the area and then head South on Broadway. Head South on Broadway to Clark and then continue further South on Clark to Fullerton. Head East on Fullerton to Stockton. Across the street to the North is the Peggy Notabert Nature Center (admission), which is a smaller (although very sleek looking) museum whose key exhibit is a beautiful live butterfly exhibit.

Continue South on Stockton a short distance to the Zoo. Walk South through the Zoo to the Farm in the Zoo (the South end of the Zoo) and then head West a short distance across the park to Clark Street. Continue South on Clark to North Avenue. Walk a few blocks West on North to Wells. The Spice House is just a few blocks South. After the Spice House, walk a couple of blocks due East to Clark, then continue South on Clark to Clark and Division. There is a red line station right there, which you can take South to the State/Grand station. Would definitely require nice weather and is definitely a huge walk, but a great route through the North side.

Navy Pier couldn't be much closer, but I honestly would not recommend devoting too much time to it - there's not going to be much going on there in March, and in general, the Pier is otherwise fairly limited - there's a lot of booths selling souvenirs, pricey/average restaurants and not a whole lot else. There is a lovely stained glass museum (which is very randomly placed in the middle of Navy Pier, but is gorgeous) and an IMAX theater, but I just think the Pier is not too much fun. I'd go there earlier in the morning for some nice views.

I think State St shopping (Nordstrom Rack and other stores that are more sale-oriented than Michigan Ave.) is also a fun idea.

The Pier and Bean are an easy walk from the ES; additionally, I'd recommend going to the visitor's center at Millennium Park to see if they have any coupon books for local attractions. As for the Drury, I'd recommend seeing if Hottix (which is a discount service) offers anything at the Drury during that time period.

Always happy to help! :) Please do feel free to ask if you have any questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Aaron,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your wonderfully informative reply.

I definitely will be following many of your suggestions.

Unfortunately we won't be able to do any extensive walking as my daughters friend has scoliosis and extensive walking flares up pain. We will purchase the 3 day transit pass as you suggested last year.

We just will need to figure out from our hotel which buses we need to take us where we want to go.

Would you have any ideas on that, Aaron.

From the hotel, which bus would be want, to take us to:

1. State Street and which bus from State Street back to the hotel

2. Millenium Park and which bus back from the park to our hotel

3. Spice House/ Flat Top Grill and which bus back from their to our hotel

4. Belmont and which bus back from Belmont to our hotel

As for Navy Pier, I am not expecting to spend much time there. I really would like to see the stained glass museum you mentioned and the girls want to see Alice in Wonderland at the IMAX. They wanted to go last year to the Pier and it got scratched off the list for far more wonderful places such as the Linken Park Zoo (your suggestion).

Thank you for the suggestion re: checking out the visitor centre at Millenium Park for possible discount coupons.

The thrift stores Belmont sound interesting and if time permits we will definitely check those out.

As always, Aaron, thanks so much for any info you have and for all your suggestions. I really think tourism Chicago should be paying you :)

--

From the hotel, which bus would be want, to take us to:

1. State Street and which bus from State Street back to the hotel

2. Millenium Park and which bus back from the park to our hotel

3. Spice House/ Flat Top Grill and which bus back from their to our hotel

4. Belmont and which bus back from Belmont to our hotel

1. I'd catch the 29 bus a block North of the hotel on Grand and Columbus. That heads West to State, then South on State. You should be able to catch the 29 back. (schedule/more info: http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/bus_schedules/29.pdf)

2. I'd catch the 124 bus (more info: http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/bus...edules/124.pdf) on Grand. This would be an extremely quick ride - a couple of minutes from the hotel to MP. You would get off the bus before it turned on Michigan and Madison (and that corner is right across from Millennium) at either Washington and Michigan or Madison/Michigan.

3a. The main option in this case (although there's another good one) would probably be the 151 bus (which you would get from Michigan Ave; http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/bus...edules/151.pdf) heads North and would go past the Zoo - you'd get off at Stockton and LaSalle. That'd be right by the Zoo, but about a 4-5 block walk to Old Town/Spice House.

3b. A more direct option (although more complicated) would be to take the 65 (more information: http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/bus_schedules/65.pdf) bus from Grand next to the hotel headed West several blocks to Grand/LaSalle. At Grand/LaSalle, you'd catch the 156 LaSalle bus (http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/bus_schedules/156.pdf) headed North on LaSalle to LaSalle/North Ave. Then it would be one block West to Old Town.

4. Personally, in this case I'd suggest taking the 65 bus West on Grand to State/Grand. Then I'd take the Red Line subway North to the Belmont station (and at one point the train comes up from the underground to the "L" tracks - I'm not a huge fan of taking the "L" as Chicago doesn't have the country's best transit system, but I still think that's a neat moment.) Then walk East on Belmont. You could take the 36 bus (more information: http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/bus_schedules/36.pdf) back from this area. You would take the 36 back to State/Illinois, then take the 29 bus (http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/bus_schedules/29.pdf) from the SE corner (as it'll turn East on Illinois) the brief remaining distance back to the hotel.

This is the overall map for the transit in the downtown area: map

North Side Transit Map

Stations Mentioned:

Belmont

State/Grand

There's also a Flat Top Grill on 30 S Wabash (a couple of blocks from Millennium Park) if you would like to work stopping there into the Millennium Park trip instead.

• 1 month later...

Sorry it has taken me so long to come back and report on the hotel... I would highly recommend the hotel. The service was excellent, the amenities were more than you would expect for a 3.5 star. The wonderful full breakfast buffet and made to order was awesome and really cut down on our meal expenses and the evening managers reception was a very nice touch as well. Overall, I will definitely be looking to stay here again my next trip to Chicago.

Chicago again this year was wonderfully clean and so friendly and helpful and we again lucked out and had absolutely amazing weather.

Aaron your bus information was 'bang on' and with our bus passes and your info we very easily navigated ourselves to where we wanted to be.

Thanks, better bidding, thanks Aaron and thanks Chicago for a wonderful March break!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]