Priceline Hotel: New York and DC in late March

Jay
By Jay,
in

Hello everyone. Just booked flights for our Easter holiday, flying into JFK on March 25th and out on April 3rd .

We were thinking of spending most of the time in New York City area and maybe drive down to Philly and Washington DC for a day or two. Do you think one night in DC is enough to do some sightseeing, maybe drive down there on Thursday morning and back for Friday night?

We're a Finnish couple in our late twenties, and I feel we'll enjoy Manhattan

Just checked Hotwire, they have what appears to be Grand Hyatt for around $135 / night (+taxes). Is that an okay price for that week? Seems their weekend price is now $110, weekdays are more. Any suggestions?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

For what dates are you seeing the above on HOTWIRE (<-- please use this link if you book it)?

The rate sounds good but you could always try to do better via Priceline if you're not that particular about a specific hotel/location... of this is the hotel you want then it seems like a good deal, imo. However, i wouldn't book it until you know if you'll only be day tripping to DC and/or Philadelphia or staying overnite there.

As an FYI, there are busses that will take you from NYC to Philadelphia, DC, or Boston (to add another city into the mix) very inexpensively. Probably cheaper than renting a car and driving yourself... although some don't like to the bus "atmosphere" (i have no porblem with it... but to say my wife isn't such a fan would put it mildly)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It seems the rates change constantly, now I get $138/night for 3/25-3/31 and $106 for the weekend 3/25-3/27.

I would prefer not having to change hotels constantly, but maybe I could book the weekend now and then try to find something on priceline for the week? If I search the weekdays separately, it sums up to lot higher a total than with the 6-night booking, so I fear that I'll end up paying more for the extra nights later :) I've used Priceline before, but New York looks like a hard market.

Also wouldn't a daytrip to DC be a bit exhausting, it's a four hour drive or so? Nothing wrong with buses, but we usually like to explore (battlefields, movie/tv locales, weird truck stops in this case maybe :) ) on the way so driving would suit us better. Plus I'm sort of a closet car nut. :o

I've done DC in a day a few times, but mostly to visit friends. It's a bit of a trip, but that's why i took the bus, could sleep on the way there and on the way back... don't try that while driving! :)

Regarding your dates i was trying to clarify which ones you were actually searching for, given your desire to head to DC and Philly (btw, Philly is less than 2 hours, DC is about 4 hours).

The prices changing slightly are common and explained in this thread: HOTWIRE PRICES CHANGE DURING THE DAY

I'm not sure i understand your reasoning for not booking the complete stay at the Hyatt(?) thru HOTWIRE, what is the purpose behind waiting?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]