Priceline Hotel: Seeking bid advice 3.5*/4* New Orleans (French Quarter/Downtown)

JayM
By JayM,
in

Hello!

I am seeking advice on bidding on a room in New Orleans July 1, 2010 until July 5, 2010. I'm hoping to get something in

the $125 or less range. My zone of preference is the French Quarter, second would be Downtown. My star rating of

preference is 4, second would be 3.5 or possibly 3.

Thanks in advance.

I use the BetterBidding Hotwire and PRICELINE links to search & bid, always have and always will.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Are you willing to pay more for a 4* hotel vs. 3.5* vs. a 3*? Are you willing ot pay more to be in the French Quarter vs. Downtown zone OR is the least expensive hotel in either of these zones your goal for this stay?

Let us know the above so we can suggest a strategy based upon your preferences.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the welcome!

I have been to New Orleans only once. I stayed at the Hilton Riverside, which I enjoyed. I'd like to be a little closer to

the center of the action this time, if possible, without sacrificing quality or breaking the bank. With that said, I"m willing to

pay more to be in a 4* French Quarter hotel, but I have no qualms with a nice 3.5* or 3* Downtown hotel. I know this is

a big weekend in New Orleans, staying within or close to my budget is the main goal.

Thanks again.

I use the BetterBidding Hotwire and PRICELINE links to search & bid, always have and always will.

I haven't yet looked at rates for this stay, but with your first goal being a 4* in the French Quarter, if that is rejected, what would be your next target... a 3.5* in the FQ or a 4* Downtown? (and if that is rejected, next target zone/star rating)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It seems like it might be a bit early to start comparing prices, as it's still more than 6 months away. I looked at hotel fares and most of the hotels don't show vacancies. I would assume it's because they don't book this far out in advance.

My suggestion is to start searching about 2 months out.

It seems like it might be a bit early to start comparing prices, as it's still more than 6 months away. I looked at hotel fares and most of the hotels don't show vacancies. I would assume it's because they don't book this far out in advance.

Not the case... the more likely scenario is that the Essence Music Festival takes place during these dates and many hotels may already be sold-out! Try looking at rates for the following weekend and i guess you'll likely see rates available, indicating that hotels do indeed book 6+ months out.

I believe you are correct. I'm looking to attend the Essence Music Festival and I'm pretty certain hotels are booking now. I really just need a clean, safe, quality place to rest my head, close to the action. I wouldn't anticipate spending all that much time in the room.

If the above criteria is met, I'd prefer going from 4* to 3* in the French Quarter, then 4* to 3* Downtown.

I'm trying to make a move now,so in case things don't work out, I can make alternative plans.

Much thanks.

There's nothing much on HOTWIRE aside from a 2* boutique for $53 in FQ, and some of the lower rated properties in NOL get some very negative reviews. Next cheapest HOTWIRE option is a 3* in the French Quarter for $159. I'm doubtful 4* is possible in this range - a 4* is $296 and a 4.5* is $242 in the downtown zone for these dates on HOTWIRE - but you may be able to squeak in at a 3* using PRICELINE, although I would imagine it may require going towards the top of your budget.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and your searches.

So do you want to begin by trying for hotels in the following order:

4* French Quarter up to $125

3.5* French Quarter up to $125

3* French Quarter up to $125

4* Downtown up to $125

3.5* Downtown up to $125

3* Downtown up to $125

Is this your gameplan with a $125 maximum budget?

I'm not sure how realistic $100 will be but you can give a try...

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones; at the 3.5* level FOUR re-bid zones; and at the 3* level TWO re-bid zones. Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 4* FQ...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* FQ...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 3* FQ...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* FQ and re-bid zone2...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $75

At this point you can wait 24 hours, trying the entire cycle again, but increasing your 3* bids OR you can go thru the above again, substituting Downtown for the FQ zone.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sorry, I guess I didn't quite make myself clear. I meant to say, I'm hoping to max out at $125 because I figure taxes to bring the total to at least $600 (4x$125)+$100. I'd like to keep it to $650 or so.

I'm figuring, you'd suggest to start at $100 for 4*, $105 for 3.5*, and $85 for 3* and increase each bid by $5.

The re-bidding zone concept is somewhat confusing to me and scares me. I will read & study the link provided and start the bidding tonight, using your PRICELINE links of course.

Thanks a million for your time, patience, and consideration!

Based upon your higher maximum bid i would revise as follows:

Select 4* FQ...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Select 4* FQ and re-bid zone5...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* FQ...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Select 3.5* FQ and re-bid zon4...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* FQ...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* FQ and re-bid zone2...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $75

At this point you can wait 24 hours, trying the entire cycle again, but increasing your 3* bids OR you can go thru the above again, substituting Downtown for the FQ zone.

It's highly recommended you understand re-bidding before proceeding and confirm your re-bid zones with the board and/or ask any questions you have regarding this subject.

Thanks in advance for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for your bidding.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

So far, I haven't had any luck with my bids. I went up to $155 with 4* hotels and $125 with 3* hotels.I haven't given up. I think I might try again later, but right now, I think I'm going to try to make a Las Vegas and Los Angeles trip a reality. The listed rates for those locales seem reasonable.

Thanks for the update.

Would those locations replace this trip... or just shifting gears to hopefully get some success in those locations before coming back to this trip?

I think these locations will replace this trip. I'll be posting at those respective forums.Idealistically, my goal is to snag an inexpensive 4* on the Vegas Strip 7/2 to 7/5, then snag an inexpensive 3* to 4* in LA (Westwood,Santa Monica,Marina Del Rey) June 29 to July 2; renting a car in LA and dropping it off in Vegas.

• 5 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]