Priceline Hotel: NYC Midtown West 5/15-18 shot down at $130

CathyM
By CathyM,
in

Yikes...just tried to bid for a 4* NYC MW for May 05 and couldn't even get a bite for $130. Hotwire is offering a 4* for $160.

Last October I bid for 4* for $125 and got NY Hilton and Towers and the Waldorf Astoria.

Have the prices gone up this year? or is May a peak time?

Do I have to up to $150 for a 4* or go down a notch to 3* for $130? I really want to be Midtown West not the East side.

I don't mind spending $150 for a 4* but I have to check with the other couple that is joining us.

Thanks.

The hotel market has been steadily increasing, thus prices are generally higher than they were a year or more ago.

As well, you're not comparing apples-to-apples... the hotel you won was in MTE, and now you're only bidding MTW, so you comparison isn't fair (you may as well be comparing hotels in different cities)

Once you decide what you want to do (add other zones, raise maximum bid, lower star quality) let us know if you'd like us to help by suggesting a bidding strategy.

Keep us updated as to your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your input about the prices going up. Although my $125 price last year was for a Midtown West hotel (NY Hilton and Towers) as well as the Waldorf.

I have been looking at hotel prices all morning and because we have travel partners that might have to cancel, I am going to try and book a hotel so I can have the option of cancelling if need be.

Then as we get closer, I might try Priceline again in April and try bidding again for a 4* but I will up the price to at least $150 or $160. I think this is a fair price to pay for a NYC hotel.

Luckily I got a great price on my cruise to NY and my one-way air fare home, so I can go the extra for a roonm in NYC.

I'll keep you posted.

• 1 month later...

I will try again to get the NY Hilton and Towers for 3 nights for under $200 for May 15-18.

Any suggestions?

I am travelling with another couple and we are getting together this Tuesday to discuss our hotel accommodations.

I'm leary about bidding on a 3* and thought I should just go for the 4* which is what I really want.

I know the prices have gone up since last year when I got the NY Hilton and Towers and the Waldorf both for $125 a night in October.

Now I need three nights and want a 4* again in MTW and hopefully will get the NY Hilton and Towers again.

Does anyone know what I might start my bidding at...... and how high should I go?

If I was just booking for mylself, I wouldn't care as much on the price, but I'm also booking for another couple who have never been to NYC.

Thanks.

Use current HOTWIRE rates as a basis to discuss with your friends.. then try to beat them... but you better double-check rates as they've changed since you've last mentioned hotwire rates in this thread.

After you discuss the other couple let us know what you've decided and we'll try to advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]