Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego (Downtown - HI) Westin Horton Plaza

suesrn3
By suesrn3,
in

We are looking for 2 rooms, San Diego area (not sure which area is better) 3 * or 4 *, 4/17-4/20

We are traveling with 3 boys ages 11-19. Planning on going to Seaworld and Tiujana. I tried some downtown SD hotels via priceline last night all bids rejected.

I started at $45 for Downtown area 4*

I increased the bids by $5 each free re-bid done and ended at $70. all beds re-jected. Should I wait and try again in a few days? Should I bid a 3*? or should I change locations? any help is greatly appreciated.

Sue

You may want to try 3* Downtown- probably more in the price range you're looking for (2 rooms + 3 hungry boys= lots of $). If you looking for a 4*, the Coastal Zone may also be available in the $50-70 range. Bidding 4* will allow many free rebids, not as many when bidding 3*. Both Downtown and Coastal are close to Sea World.

Accoding to the hotel list in PL, there are NO 3.5* in mission bay area, but with this said I will take a poke on the hotel.. In HW, a 3.5 will be the Hyatt Islandia right by the harbor and the price seems to be inline.. The Hyatt is not a 4* and maybe the PL folks finally change it to a 3.5*. There are 2 buildings in the Hyatt:

1. 2 level section areound the prameter of the resort, which is not too nice and the main building that is X high that is decent. Most likey you will get the section with 2 stoies and if you do choose and not like it, you can always upgrade to a better room this there are vacancy.

2. The main building that has a good vire of the harbor and or the sea.

The resort has a nice pool but there are NO beaches. The nearest beach is ~1 mile away and its more like a cove with little to no waves. The location is right in mission bay and near sea world. They did not use to charge for self parking but a little sweet talk can get you away from this fee. For the $$, I will recommend this pace but do not expect too much from it but who am I to say for I do not know your taste.

The Grant will be closed from 2/1 until 7/4. Priceline knows this now, because there are existing winning bids falling during this period, and they have begun to notify these people, offering them a $10 bonus link and re-accomodating them at a comparable hotel. I doubt that there will be any further winning bids for the Grant during this period. However, people should welcome this happening so that they'd be eligible for that bonus link. :)

I'd hold off on Hotwire this far out, as you may very well find something substantially less expensive on Priceline. Prevailing rates are high for downtown 4* for your dates, and it looks pretty tough going for 3* as well. I think you're going to have a much better chance for a 4* in the Coastal zone, which is generally a good zone to stay. I wouldn't bid higher than $75 for a 4* Coastal at this time though.

Or you may want to consider Del Mar. Del Mar is a quaint area just north of Torrey Pines, adjacent to the Coastal zone, with easy access to I-5. There's a 3* Hilton there that you could probaly pick up for $50.

You are correct Thereuare! sorry. In summary - We were to stay at the US Grant this past weekend. When we arrived at the hotel around 5pm to check in. The employee working the front desk let us know that they had no rooms available because of a "plumbing problem" and that we would be sent to the Quality Inn. (I found out later from an employee that there was no plumbing problem but that they had already closed half the 5th floor for renovations) Which is not the same star quality as the US Grant. I let him know that through the contract I had with Priceline that a move should be to a similiar or greater quality hotel room. He said that he has a list that was put together by the hotel sending some people to the Sheraton Suites some to the Wyndham Emerald Plaza and Some.....to the Quality Inn. However they were still checking some into the hotel. This made me extremely upset. This list was based on what you were paying I'm assuming. We demanded to know from the manager why they could not send us to either the Wyndham or the Sheraton and he simply said that is how it is and there is no changing it. Priceline spoke with the manager to try and have them send us to a comparable quality hotel to no avail. They said that we should accept the Quality Inn and they would refund the money for our stay. However, that is not the way you want to start a short vacation. And when you pay only $40 night the money is secondary. I feel that we were discriminated against because we were a Priceline customer. What a nightmare.

SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island (Central San Diego) - See map

Customer Favorite! Read reviews

Selected amenities include: Restaurant(s), Pool(s), Fitness Center, Spa Services, Business Center. View complete amenity list and description

dates of stay 4/17-4/20

anyone have any idea which hotel this might be?

3.5 *

$109/night

I decided to hold off on the hyatt islandia becaus eof bad reviews. I thought I would try my luck at Priceline again given the good results of the previous two posters. But unfortunetly I did not have the same luck :)

I tried the DT area 4* started at $65 denied

added mira mesa $70 denied

added Mirra mar $74 denied

added mission valley $78 denied

added Point loma $82 denied

added Escondido $86 denied

added del mar $90 denied

added Carlsbad $95 denied

Maybe it is too early for these prices. (4/17-4/20)

I will try again in 4 days :)

Dates of stay...4/17-4/20

The Westin Horton Plaza

Check-In Date: Sunday, April 17, 2005

Check-Out Date: Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Downtown San Diego & Harbor Island

910 Broadway Circle

San Diego, California 92101

619-239-2200

See Hotel Website

View Map and Directions

Reservation Information:

Check-In Date: Sun, Apr 17, 2005

Check-In Time: After 04:00 PM

Check-Out Date: Wed, Apr 20, 2005

Check-Out Time: 12:00 PM

Your Offer Price: $84.00

Number of Rooms: 2

Number of Nights: 3

Subtotal: $504.00

Taxes & Service Fees:

$70.62

Total Charges: $574.62

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]