Priceline Hotel: 3* San Diego (Del Mar) Hilton and Doubletree

zins
By zins,
in

Hello! Very excited to get a great rate on a hotel based on what I have learned here.

I have a few questions for the experts:

The dates we're looking for are 1/14-16, 2005 MLK weekend. Should I wait to book this or should I do it now for best availability?

Has anyone bid on a 4* in Del Mar and received L'auberge? Don't know where I can find out what hotels are available. If I then broaden to Coastal is it likely that I'd get La Jolla Hyatt? That's my second choice behind L'Auberge. Wouldn't mind Marriott or DoubleTree Del Mar.....

Also, is there a place on Priceline to include a preference for a suite? May bring my mother along to help with the kids. :)

TIA!

Getting the hang of it.....

I just noticed that Del Mar does not show a 4*, so L'Auberge must not be on the list. Does anyone know which 4* are in the Coastal section? trying to decide between La Jolla or Del Mar.

OR

thinking 2 rooms at a decent rate at any of the 3*'s in Del Mar. So, let me make sure I'm doing this correct...

I'll bid $50 for 2 rooms in Del Mar for 3* or is it best to pick 2.5*'s....I prefer Del Mar Hilton, Marriott, or Doubletree.

TIA! :)

You can see all the reported hotels in the PRICELINE HOTEL LIST for California.

I personally try for higher rated hotels first, prefering to bid up to my limit and then lower my star rating if unsuccessful. Some people though prefer the 2.5* rated properties in certain areas as many include items like parking, breakfast, internet access, etc (although not all do and none of these can be counted on).

If you let us know your maximum bid we'll be happy to provide a suggested bidding strategy for your to follow.

You should also know about re-bidding (explained in: PRICELINE RE-BIDDING)... you have one re-bid zone available when bidding 3*, if you want us to provide a bidding strategy for you please let us know which zone is your re-bid zone (to make sure you understand it and to avoid any mistakes).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello and thank you for your response. I most definitely will go through the Barn. I've already gone to the site and checked it out.

Here's what we're looking for:

3* in Del Mar: Doubletree, Marriott, or Hilton

4* in La Jolla: La Jolla Hyatt at the Aventine (only!)

January 14 - 16

2 rooms max $70 OR Suite (bedroom + roll out) max $140

Any help would be appreciated.

Will look into this further......but also going to need a minivan to and from Burbank-- dates 1/14 - 1/17 (10:30 AM p/u and return both).

I took a look at the car rental site and will do more investigation....

TIA!

For the hotel portion of your stay I don't think you can bid La Jolla because you're not willing to accept any hotel in the zone. If you're comfortable with the Del Mar area, you have one re-bid available at the 3* level... if you're unsure of which one it is or just want to confirm it with the board to avoid any mistakes, feel free to ask. If not:

Select 3* Del Mar and...

Bid $41, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $47.

Any questions let us know; if not, good luck and let us know how it goes.

PS- i will reiterate that you're not bidding for the hotels you listed above, but a star level within a shaded region accordng to Priceline's map. There is always a chance that a new hotel will appear that has not yet been reported or one that has previously been reported at a lower level and has been upgraded... i don't necessarily think that will happen in this instance, but that risk is always there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

HI and thanks for all the advice!

We booked the Hilton for $53/room for 2 rooms a few days ago. Friends said they wanted to join us so we attempted to get them a room for the same rate....ended up getting the Doubletree for $53. No complaints!

When we booked the Hilton, it asked us to add the $12 for a room--knew that was the going rate so did it and got the Hilton w/o having to add a new zone. When we booked the second room, it denied the first bid at $41 and asked us to add new zone.....we added Miramar and plugged in $53 hoping for a sure bet at the Hilton and got the Doubletree.

Also booked a minivan for 1/14 - 1/17 out of Burbank for $30. Online rates are $36.

Used the Barn for all transactions!

Thanks!

Thank you very much for placing your bids thru the SavingsBarn.com, we appreciate that!

You may have been able to shave a few dollars off of the Hilton bid, as i've never seen a Priceline counter-offer which couldn't be undercut. Perhaps not that big of a deal in this situation, but just want to make sure you know for any future bids where it may make a significant difference on a multi-nite stay.

Not sure of the circumstance behind your friends joining you at the last minute, but i usually have many that are interested in traveling once they hear the rates we're able to get! (nobody can resist a great deal) :) The more the merrier... i'm sure you will all have a great time!

A big "thank you" once again, and we wish you both a great stay!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]