Priceline Hotel: 5* London (Mayfair-Soho) Grosvenor House

jackstar
By jackstar,
in

Hi,

I'm hoping you guys can assist with my dilemma..

I will be arriving in London in April and will be roughly staying for 4-5 nights, i understand most areas are accessible by the tube but because of the limited time i have there i would prefer to be right in the heart of most 'tourist' sites ( if thats possible).

More than happy to spend up to $140-$180usd for a ( 4-5 star hotel), can anyone suggest areas i should look at?.

I have had a look in areas such as Mayfair & Westminister but am still unsure which is a better location.

Appreciate everyone's help

jackstar,

Which part of London is "better" for a visitor really depends on what the person likes to do. Museums, bars, shopping, plays, music, historical sites, gardens, zoos, people watching, ??

I think you would help yourself, and help others help you if you compiled a list of things you wanted to do in your 4 or 5 London days.

golondon.about.com/od/thingstodoinlondon/tp/top10attraction.htm has the top 10 tourist attractions in London. It should get you started.

There are other good lists too, and wonderful guide books for free in your local library.

Then find a map of London, and mark your choices on it. I'm reasonably sure that will help you define which area is best for you personally. Or areas. Quite a few of your choices will likely cluster in one area, or perhaps two adjacent areas.

There are also web sites more into tourist discussions - Fodors, Lonely Planet, TripAdvisor and even the World section of FlyerTalk.

This site sometimes gets into visitor advice, but it's strength is helping you get a good rate on a hotel (or car rental or air ticket) after you've already figured out where you want to stay. There often is an awareness of things that will fill hotels in an area at certain times - conventions, holidays - so dates are needed to work through that problem.

Romelle

I agree the Mayfair zone is best suited to what you want. Also keep Hotwire in mind, because you can more specifically target your hotel, so it might be a better choice in your case.

If your budget were lower, or you fail to succeed in Mayfair for some reason, the Bloomsbury zone (which includes a bit that is not Bloomsbury) would be my second choice.

If you stick to these two zones, and 4* or higher, you are very unlikely to get a lousy or poorly-located hotel (in my opinion).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

On the Hotwire website the amenities for the 5 star Mayfair Soho are as per below:

Fitness Center,

Restaurants

High speed internet access

Spa Services

Sorry i am new to this but i'm looking into bidding for the hotel on Priceline, does Hotwire offer the same hotels but instead without the bidding option?.

( just want to make sure i provide the right amenities),

Thanks

jackstar

Sorry i am new to this but i'm looking into bidding for the hotel on Priceline, does Hotwire offer the same hotels but instead without the bidding option?.

HOTWIRE and PRICELINE are two diffrent services. Looking at HOTWIRE don't mean that you will get the same hotel at PRICELINE If you're trying to target a specific property then HOTWIRE can often be a better option if you're successfully able to identify it based upon the star rating and amenities shown before your purchase... the trade-off is that HOTWIRE usually costs a little more than PRICELINE, so you need to decide what is most important to you for a given stay, the lowest possible price OR the ability to take an educated guess as to the property you may receive.

Do you want to go with PRICELINE or HOTWIRE? If you're set on PRICELINE is there no need to start ID hotels on HOTWIRE.

Just post if you have any further questions.

Yellowdog.

Hi guys,

This is my first bid on priceline and am excited!. Have placed a bid of $105.00 to start off in London Mayfair for a 5 star hotel for the 2nd of April to the 6th April.

Obviously this was rejected and i've read i can rebid only if i change the zone....Can anyone assist me?.

Definitely want to stay in the Mayfair area..after reading the bidding strategy am i best to select the Bloomsbury Arch area since they do not have a 5 star rating hotel in that location?

There are lots of instructions for "free rebidding" if you search on that. But for a very short course, all you have to do is just use zones in which there are NO 5*s. And you determine this by looking at Priceline and checking and unchecking the boxes just before you bid (it can change).

For London, you should discover there are 5 free rebid zones at the 5* level, so you can squeeze in a few more bids today.

If you want to get really fancy, later you can study up on using permutations of these free zones to get even more bids.

Romelle

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.
2x

You can read about re-bidding here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

PLEASE confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding. If you read the above thread and are confused just post back and we'll break it down further for you.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

hi guys,

i have now used up all my free bid options and my current bid is sitting at $138.00. I was hoping to pick up the 5 star Grosvenor Hotel in Mayfair for under $140usd as some people on the forum have been fortunate enough to get winning bids around $128usd.

How should i proceed and is my bids unrealistic due to the dates i have selected ( 2/04-6/04/10 - Easter weekend)?

You do have the many combinations of 2, 3 or 4 zones together in london, but it does take time.

As that is the Easter holiday weekend, I do not imagine that 5 star hotels that cater heavily to business clientelle will fill up, so you are not really in a hurry.

I note that the Intercontinental has a prepaid of

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]