Priceline Hotel: Help with Hotels/Priceline

jacquim
By jacquim,
in

We are planning a trip to Washington at the end of May..over Memorial Day weekend. Due to school/work schedules, date is pretty much set...arriving 5/26, leaving 5/31 & then a few days to visit my sis in NJ before heading home. The first 5 days in Washington will be just my husband and myself. My daughter will visit w/my sis and then they will come into the city on the 31st and we'll all head back to NJ that evening ...so this is an adult trip (to celebrate our anniversary).

After reading * a lot * here and on tripadvisor.com, I'm pretty sure we want to stay in the Dupont Circle/Woodley Park area.

We will not have a car, so we are looking for something close to the Metro to get around (really close...4 city blocks would be too much for me after walking around all day...esp if it's hilly), safe, with restaurants near the hotel.

I have read lots of good things about the Marriott Wardman Park and Jurys at Dupont Circle. Do these come up on Priceline? Or if I go with a 4 star, will it likely be the Omni? I've read some not so great things about that property on tripadvisor, but lots of folks here seem satisfied with that property.

For this time of year, what would be a good price range for 4 star and 3 star? (I would prefer 4 star, but I'm sure 3 star would be ok and make my husband happy b/c it would be cheaper). Any idea what will be the 3 star properties?

My husband is an Entertainment Card member, so we have that $30 coupon for Hotwire. Three hotels come up there for the days we are traveling:

A 4 star for $143 ( amneties: restaurant, pool, fitness, spa, high-spd, business center)

A 3 star for $108 (amneties: rest, pool, fitness, golf nearby, business center, self serve laundry)

and a 3 1/2 for $243 (that's out).

I guess depending on the PL rate, even with the HW $30 coupon, PL may still be cheaper.

I've never used Priceline before, so it's a bit scary to me to commit this early..just in case things change..it's not like making a reservation that you can later change if something comes up. How far in advance should we do this?

Thanks for any info...both on Priceline and hotels, and info on Washington!

First the easy question: Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), which has a Metro stop, would clearly be the most convenient airport. Dulles (IAD) would be the next best, then BWI (which is doable, but substantially more of a hassle). You might want to base your decision on which airport offers the cheapest fare. US Airways is currently offering a r/t into DCA of only $119 for you dates, so you may want to go with that, unless you're worried about their continued viability between then and now.

The only two Priceline 4*'s that have come up in the Dupont Circle/Woodley Park zone are the Omni and Westin Embassy Row - and it's usually the Omni. The 3*'s that have come up are the Washington Hilton, Churchill, Radisson Barcelo, Marriott Wardman Park and Hilton Embassy Row. Jurys does not participate in Priceline.

Although I'm fond of the Dupont Circle/Woodley Park zone at the 4* level, the Downtown/White House and Convention Center/Capital Hill zones are good too. I think you're probably looking at around $80 for a 4* on Priceline, and I would guess $55-60 for a 3*, although I've not checked prevailing rates.

I would definitely try Priceline over Hotwire at this point, as you'll very probably do better, even with the discount coupon. I think you're wise to plan in advance given you dates. However, if you're not 100% sure if you're going right now, you may want to book something on easyclicktravel.com, which is cancelable, then try Priceline when you're sure.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]