Priceline Hotel: Last minute bid for NYC - 1/8/05

heinous
By heinous,
in

Hi! So I'm taking a last-minute trip to NYC tomorrow and I need a place to stay for the night. I pretty much don't care where in Manhattan it is, as long as it's not in a scary or very outlying area.

I'd prefer a 3* or up because anything lower in NYC tends to be pretty bad. I'd like this to be as inexpensive as possible. I found some decent-seeming backups for about $99, but can I save more?

I've never bid in Manhattan, and I only have one chance! What's my winning strategy? :)

What are your back-ups (where and how much?)

If location is not important, or you need to be near the convention center, you could be the first to give us a review of the Best Western which is a new hotel and only $69 for tomorrow nite... some external reviews can be found HERE. I figure $69 for a "name brand" in NYC may be worth a shot for one nite... depends upon the user i suppose.

If you'd like to try Priceline i would follow the same strategy i posted for a user earlier (it's a bit lengthly, but the correct way to bid for the best price, they were successful at $85 with a previously rejected bid at $75, deviating from the strategy when they received a counter offier)...

Select 3*:

MTW bid $75, if rejeced close broswer and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

UM bid $75, if rejeced close broswer and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

MTE bid $75, if rejeced close broswer and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

MTS bid $75, if rejeced close broswer and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

(with the above you should only be bidding one zone each time)

MTW and UM bid $80, if rejected close browser

MTE and MTS bid $80, if rejected close browser

MTE and MTW bid $85, if rejected close browser

MTS and UM bid $85, if rejected close browser

MTE and UM bid $90, if rejected close browser

MTS and MTW bid $90, if rejected add MTE and UM bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone and bid $100.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 5 weeks later...

Oops! Sorry for not following up! I checked out the reviews on the Best Western, and I decided not to go with that. I'm familiar with the convention center area, and there's not much going on there - it gets pretty desolate at night.

I did follow the bidding strategy up to $80, but then I ended up going with my backup at the Ramada Inn Eastside. The AAA rate was $80.99, and the reviews were all strong. It's a nice little place - very clean with wireless internet access.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]