Priceline Hotel: HELP: NYC

jpoirier
By jpoirier,
in

Dates: 2/21 thru 2/25

Midtown central

4.5 star

Selected amenities include: Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, Spa Services, Business Center

Price: $176

Sounds like Westin Essex to me, but....I am a bit surprised to see the price I was quoted was $20 more than for a room in March. I am not in a rush to book this room, and am wondering if there is a chance the price will drop if I wait. Does anyone have thoughts or feedback? Thanks!

Hello all,

I made the mistake of not jumping on a Hotwire offer of $176 for the Westin Essex last night (wanted to sleep on it, as I have never used Hotwire or Priceline before), and the offer is now gone. I'm now considering bidding for the Waldorf Towers in MTE on Priceline (which appears to be the only 5* hotel on Priceline, yes?).

I'm interested in any advice or strategy for bidding on a 5* property in NYC. Since there are plenty of additional locations without 5* hotels, it should be easy to rebid. I'm primarily wondering what number I should start at and what incremements to go up. All thoughts are welcome! Thanks!

There is no way to know if prices will drop (or go up) between now and then. As well, with Hotwire prices can fluctuate up to $15 from search-to-search.

Keep in mind that hotel supply and demand aren't just reflected by seasonal factors... there are conventions, catered affairs (weddings), business meetings, etc. that can all effect pricing at an individual property.

Best bet is to just continue doing searches every few days and if/when you see a price you're comfortable with then take it. Please use THIS LINK for your searches.

Good luck and keep us updated or let us know if we can be of additional help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have merged your two posts... i'm assuming this is for the same stay?

5* in NYC is very difficult as there is only one known (<-- this answers your other question) and they typically don't release inventory to Priceline until very close to check-in.

My advice is to not have your hopes set on this and to make alternate plans, but if you'd like to try let us know your maximum bid amount and we'll advise from there.

What are the requirements you're looking at for this stay, as we have many resources at our disposal to try to get you what you're looking for at a good rate.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. This is indeed for the same stay.

The stay will be Feb 21 through Feb 25. Requirements for the stay are fairly loose. We'd prefer to stay near Central Park if possible, and I'd prefer to avoid Times Square, due to the noise/people factor. But it's not a big deal, since I know it's easy to jump on the subway and get around, so I'm not terribly concerned about location, as long as it is safe.

We're willing to pay up to $180/night, for the right property. (For example, if the Westin/Essex came up again on Hotwire for $176, we'd take it.)

We're definitely making fully refundable reservations too, while trying to get a bid (or find something on Hotwire) we like, so we're not counting on making a successful 5* bid. On the other hand, I figure it can't hurt to give it a shot!

Thanks again for your input! I really appreciate it.

We can supply a 5* strategy if you'd like and/or something just for the UM/CPS area, but since you'd ideally like to be near the park i also found:

The Swissotel Drake for $179/nite and the Le Parker Meridien for $169/nite.

Reviews of the Swissotel are pretty good, of the Parker Meridien i their a bit mixed as i think people are paying too much for what they're getting and therefore leave disappointed.

Let us know if you'd like to take one of the above, or use them as a benchmark to beat thru Priceline. If use them as what you're trying to beat, please let us know exactly what zones you're willing to accept, as i'm not really sure which zones you're willing to accept (ie - you say that Times Square you'd rather avoid... but on the other it's "ok" but not ideal). I understand what you're saying, but it's hard for me to interpret at what point you would want to add a zone which included Times Square (or not include it at all).

Bids were for a 5* hotel in NYC (MTE) for February 21st through February 25th (2005).

1st bid: $105 MTE

2nd bid: $125 MTE & MTW

3rd bid: $145 MTE, MTW, UMCPS

4th bid: $165 MTE, MTW, UMCPS, & Soho

5th bid: $170 MTE, MTW, UMCPS, Soho, & MTS

6th bid: $175 MTE, MTW, UMCPS, Soho, MTS, UES

7th bid: $180 All areas

Not surprisingly, no bids were accepted (and I've made other arrangements).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]