Hotwire Hotel: New York 4/26-5/2

jbhall
By jbhall,
in

We are looking to go to NY over my childrens spring break. The problem is there is a total of 5 of us. And to make things worse, my wife would really like to have an indoor pool for when the weather is nasty. The pool is somewhat optional however being able to sleep 5 is not. I am willing to get two rooms or maybe a suite. I understand that with both Priceline and Hotwire, the max. number is 4 (maybe only 2 with priceline?). My kids are 7, 9 and 11 and at least one, if not two could sleep on the floor.

Ocassionally Hotwire will list a suite hotel, but I am not sure what that means. If that comes with at least a queen bed and a double or queen fold out, that would be great, we could always find room on the floor for one.

On hotwire there is a 2 1/2 star hotel listed in Midtown East with the following ammenities: Suite, Restaurant, Complimentary Breakfast, Kitchenette, Hi-Speed Internet, Laundry. I didn't find a hotel that matched in your list. If I could find out what hotel this is, I guess I could find out what Suite means and are there two beds. The price for this room is $160 a night which would be very nice. Although it doesn't have a pool.

Finally if we don't get a hotel with a pool. Are there any public pools on manhattan that are open year round.

Thanks

I think you're going to have to go with 2 rooms, unless you can wait to see if any of the hotels with 2BR suites are available for your nites thru EasyClick, but they have not yet released their inventory for April/May yet (you should bump this thread, by replying to it, in 2 weeks or so when i suspect they will have released their inventory at that time).

I don't think that the 'suite' hotel on Hotwire is going to do the trick, since these are usually just Amerisuites or Embassy Suite type properties which are not true suites, but a half a wall dividing the two areas of the room. As well, in NYC you have a lot of suite properties that are converted apartment buildings (like the Murray Hill Suites) and you won't be able to guarantee enough space for five people (i'm assuming you've never been to NYC before, so be prepared for one of the smallest hotel rooms you've stayed in)

As far as a hotel with a pool, there are only about 4 that i know of, so you're greatly reducing the number of possible hotels. As well, my advice is to think about your priorities on vacation... there is so much to see/do in NYC that i wouldn't recommend spending much time at a hotel pool. However, if your family must swim, there are a few YMCA's throughout the city that you can get a day pass to. I've never been, but a friend of mine tells me that the one on 14th St b/w 6th and 7th Ave is one of the nicest in the city and has a pool, sauna, steamroom, lockerooms, etc (not sure if there is a minimum age though). There is also a free one week pass online, but the link appears to be down now so i'll try to make sure it's 'live' before posting it.

Update us on your plans given the above information/advice and we'll advise accordingly. Keep in mind the above represents my opinions (knowing a fair amount about NYC), but ultimately it's your vacation and you have to be happy with your plans (ie- maybe one of your kids will be an olympic swimmer someday and you need to have a pool while on vacation).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the input so far. We have actually been to NYC several times. You have helped us with info the last couple of times with great information such as Cafe Wha!, Grimaldis (sp?), etc. Our last visit was the week after christmas. One place that I would like to recommend is, Rice to Riches. I don't know if you have been there, but this is a fantastic place, not only is the rice pudding fantastice, but I think the store is incredible. I am involved in construction and can truly appreiciate the thought that went into this store. In my opinion this is a place to go and at least look, even if you don't like rice pudding. We went there for desert one day when we went to Lombardi's for pizza.

You are right about the small rooms. This past christmas we stayed in the Park South, while very nice, it was very small. There wasn't even enough room for a night stand on my side of the Queen size bed. We could of put one kid on the floor, but there was limited storage, so it wouldn't be a good place for staying 5 or more days. We are not concerened about small rooms, as long as there is adequate room for everyone to sleep. We don't spend much time in the hotel room.

The deal with the pool is that we like to have one available just to relax or if the weather is bad. It is not absolutely necessary, but when we go on a 7 day vacation, we can't usually spend the whole time going and seeing the sights, it's nice to have a place to relax. Almost every hotel in the country that is 3* or above has a pool, with the major exception being NYC. I understand that, and it is not a deal breaker, but if we can get one, we would like to.

It sure would be nice if there was a listing on the internet, that listed all the hotels with there ammenities. I'm an engineer and I like my lists. I have a guide book from when we were last in NYC that has a nice table with a bunch of hotels, but it is not complete. If you know of any site that has a complete list of hotels in NYC, I would appreciate it.

As far as the hotel, while I like to spend as little money as possible, I have resigned to the fact that I may have to spend $400+ a night for the five of us. I like staying in nice places, but not too nice, because like I said before, we mainly use the room to sleep. I like the idea of a true suite hotel. I will check with easyclick.

Thanks for you help.

I was maybe a little over zealous when I said I have resigned to pay $400+. I would obviously like to pay less.

I found a hotel on Hotwire. It is a 4* in MTE, and has the following ammenities; Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, tennis (nearby), Business center. Any idea what this is. It's close to the Grand Hyatt on your list, but your list doesn't have the Grand Hyatt having a pool.

Also, I can get a room through their website at the Le Parker Meridian, for $215 a night. There pool looks nice, almost too nice. What do you know about this hotel, and would it be good for kids.

Also, since there are rooms available, do you know why it is not coming up when I search on Hotwire? Is there a chance it will come up later as we get closer to taking our trip.

Thanks.

OK, last post for the morning. I looked closer at you list, and it does not have the Le Parker Meridian as having a pool. But I went to their website, and they clearly have a pool. At least they have pictures of it.

So I looked at hotwire again, and there is a room with the same ammenities as the listing for Le Parker, but again no pool. Why would they do this, am I missing something. Also, it is $263 a night, more than I can than going through them, again am I missing something?

Thanks.

Not every amenity that a hotel is always shown on a HOTWIRE search.

I think the 4* MTE that you are looking at on HOTWIRE is the Millenium UN.

If you're confident that the Le Parker Meridien is what you're seeing on Hotwire and a lower rates is available on their website, you can purchase it thru HOTWIRE and then apply for their Double the Difference Guarantee. The risk here is that if you're claim is denied for any reason you now own an expensive hotel room. This is a nice hotel, with a very nice pool, some recent reviews are a bit less favorable, but from what i have heard it's still a great hotel (and is rated much more highly from the comments at Frommers). One problem here, as it is everywhere, is many of the rooms are extremely small... i dont' believe you would be able to fit 4 (much less 5) in the room. Another problem (for some) is that every around the Central Park area is expensvie... not just the hotel rooms, but everything you buy from the local delis too (soda, snacks, lunch, etc).

I think i answered all of your questions above, but if i left anything out please let us know. If you take anything in the nearterm thru Hotwire please use the links above to begin your purchase. Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have been checking on easyclicktravel.com. It appears that they have a lot of hotels open. You said earlier, that it doesn't look like the suite have opened up for March-April. How do I know when they open up?

Also, I am still very interested in the Le Parker Meridian. But when I put these dates in, I don't see it come up. It is an off the record, but the discription starts out, "Dysfunction is out..." It does come up with some dates, but not at all on these dates. I check the Le Parker site and they have rooms available. Also, I have heard that when they don't have any more rooms available to Easyclick, that it will have "On Request".

Any more info you can provide.

Thanks!

There is a good discussion currently going on in this thread: PRICELINE DOUBLE OCCUPANCY.

I'm sure some would do it, but knowing just how small a NYC hotel room can be, i personally wouldn't chance it.

Regarding the suite, i was thinking about The Beekman Tower, but i don't think they can 'legally' hold five either (although the room is probably better suited than most to do so).

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked hotwire and they have a 4* in MTE for $181. The ammenities are: Restaurant(s), Pool(s), Fitness Center, Tennis Nearby, Business Center. These are the same as the Grand Hyatt, except the GH does not have a pool. However, I have looked at a couple of websites, nyc.com for one, that lists the GH as having a pool. I called the hotel and they said that they don't advertise that they have a pool, but there is one available in the fitness center. Which I assume is not part of their hotel, but is close by.

So, any ideas what hotel this could be.

Thanks,

Also, I searched for this looking for two rooms with one adult and one child in each room. If I change this to two rooms, with one adult and one child in one room and one adult and two children in one room, then this hotel goes away.

I also noticed that other hotels that were in the low $200's are now over $300 a night by just adding a child.

What's up with this? Would I be taking a big chance by booking two rooms with 2 adults and 2 children and showing up with an extra child?

The 4* MTE hotel with pool is most likely the Millenium UN.

Allowing more than Double Occupancy is a new Hotwire feature, so i imagine that hotels needed to 'sign on' to allow more than two people in a room. The hotels that disappear have not yet 'signed on' to allow more than double occupancy (this could be due to laziness of filling out the paperwork needed to do so, their rooms not being able to handle more than double occupancy, etc, etc).

If you book anything on Hotwire please use THIS LINK to do so.

As my statistics professor used to say, "It's going to be zero or one... it will either work for you or it won't"

Bottom line is that it's a risk, how much of a risk is dependent upon the hotel, the mood of the clerk when you check-in, occupancy level of the hotel, and a bunch of other similar factors.

I think more than a factor of "will it work" is "what will i do if it doesn't?"

If you're fine with one of your kids sleeping on the floor, and it won't ruin your vacation or create tension between the two parents, then i would think you should be ok (i'm assuming you'd be getting two rooms for the five of you?). To play it safe i would have one parent watch the 3 kids while the other checks into both rooms... no sense parading yourself up to the check-in desk as a group.

I wouldn't do it with the same number of adults, but usually with kids (especially those under 12) it's a bit easier.

Hope that helps.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]