Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-River North) Hotel Felix

annecb
By annecb,
in

Yesterday I bid $50 rejected and then I added Lincoln park area and bid $55-nothing.

Today I bid $55 added Lincoln park and bid $59. Got this hotel. It supposedly has a four star rating but I have been reading on trip advisor and elsewhere that the rooms are super small --not what you would expect in a four star. I used Price line a number of years ago but often have kids so we have to confirm two beds but this time there are only two of us so thought I would give Price line a chance again as I was pleased last time. From people in Chicago I am hearing this is not 4 star quality hotel. Anyone stay there recently???? Other sites have reviews even on their upscaled rooms that indicate they are very small and not what you would expect.

Congratulations on your success and Welcome to Betterbidding.

I haven't stayed at this property as it's quite new - it only opened earlier this year. The tripadvisor.com reviews are mostly quite good (4/5) I only see one recent review that was negative.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

By chance I read a Yahoo travel story today the listed Hotel Felix as one of "America's Best Affordable Hotels". They state:

"Chocolate-brown carpets spun from recycled soda bottles are just one of the many earth-friendly details at the Hotel Felix. The 225 rooms have motion sensors to control the heat and lighting, and the spa has sustainably produced bamboo floors. Drivers of hybrids park free, but the hotel is a 10-minute walk from the Hancock tower, so you could also skip the car entirely. hotelfelixchicago.com, from $129."

Sounds like a very interesting property.....I hope you'll report back after your stay.

I stayed at the Hotel Felix on November 26 after winning on Priceline. I actually was hoping to get this hotel because I also had read the article "America's Best Affordable Hotels." After winning the hotel, I also started to read the reviews about the hotel not being of 4* quality and small rooms. So, I was prepared for something that was not the best.

We were able to park immediately across the street from the hotel for $23 for 24 hours. We did not do valet but it was in a covered parking deck. I can say with all honesty that is the cheapest I have paid for parking for years and I go to Chicago a lot.

The hotel staff was more than friendly and extremely helpful. I was there on Thanksgiving and looking for a place to have dinner. Didn't want regular Thanksgiving fare. They contacted businesses for me and were eager to help wherever they could. Even the doormen were as kind as can be and very helpful.

The hotel is indeed a smaller boutique style hotel. They have undergone quite a renovation and beginning with the hotel lobby, it is very modern. I happen to like this style so I found their details very interesting and fun.

Having read the "small room" comments, upon check in I mentioned that I head heard the rooms were extremely small so they looked to see if any of their larger rooms were available. They said there were some available but only on the 5th floor. I didn't care, thinking I'd rather have a larger room than be up higher. I was glad I asked because even the "larger" room was smaller than a normal room. While I enjoy having lots of space, I found that for some reason this did not bother me as I was only staying one night.

The bed was extremely comfortable, the decor was clean and modern, the flat screen tv was mounted on the wall (which I loved) and there was already a personalized message from the front desk waiting for me thanking me for staying with them and telling me to give them a call if I needed anything at all.

The bathroom was also fairly small, but certainly adequate. There was a walk in shower, which was fine for me. Some people don't like that though. The bath products were all Aveda, which was really nice. The only thing that bothered me is that I didn't have room to spread out all my stuff in the bathroom, from cosmetics to haircare stuff to whatever else you need as a female getting ready for the day! There was a shelf above the toilet that I could use for this stuff though.

The hallways were somewhat narrow, but made things feel private. Again, being Thanksgiving, the hotel wasn't that busy. You need a card to go to your floor on the elevator which was a bit confusing, but not a bid deal. We checked out the workout room and it was small, yet if you just have to work out while you're in a hotel (I do this a lot), it was adequate with elliptical machines, treadmills and weights. The ellipticals and treadmills had built in tv's.

There was free coffee every morning in the lobby. I am a huge coffee drinker, so would have preferred a coffee maker in the rooms, but honestly, there was not any place to put one! But I did get the coffee from the lobby and it was fine. By the way, the lobby has a very cool fireplace!

If you have time for breakfast, walk 2 blocks west and then 2 blocks north to Yolk's second Chicago location. The original Yolk is on South Michigan Avenue. They have amazing breakfasts which is served all day. I was actually going to drive to the Michigan Avenue location, and couldn't believe my luck to find their new one so close to the hotel.

I did notice that there is some major construction going on with the building adjacent to the west. Being Thanksgiving, no one was working on it at this time. However, if you're there during the week, it may be different.

I can't recall for sure, but the hotel is about 4 blocks west of Michigan Avenue, which is a quick walk. Wasn't sure how I'd like that as I usually try to stay on Michigan or as close to as possible. But this didn't bother me. If Michigan Avenue is your destination and the weather is bad, it won't be a fun walk. But after all, this is Chicago and that's what winters are about!

In the end, I think the smallness of the room wasn't a detriment to me at all. Is it 4*? Hard to say. I stayed at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers the night before, which is also a 4*, and didn't have near the quality of service and the hotel itself is a bit old on the inside.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]