Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Chicago (NMA-River North) Ambassador East

kimanjo
By kimanjo,
in

Hi, all.

I'm trying to book a room for a friend who is going to Chicago the week before Christmas. It appears that rates are pretty low at that time.

She's going with her teen (14) daughter and they want to do some vintage clothes shopping, walk around, hit some cafes & restaurants--maybe see snow (we all live in South Florida).

We don't know whether to go the Hotwire route--and if so, which is better, NMA, Streeterville, or Gold Coast? Also, it appears that 3.5* Ambassador East is $72 and though higher than what she wants to pay, is in a great area for an "alternative/vegan/Goth" type (she doesn't need a pool. she is not a tanning "beach" type).

Or should I go Priceline and if so, how to bid? She's hoping for a 4* or 3.5 star in Mag Mile area, wants to pay no more than $65--or she'll do Hotwire.

Please help with bidding sequence!

Welcome to Betterbidding! :)

Please let us know the dates of travel and desired star rating and I'd be happy to make suggestions. Additionally, in terms of clothes shopping, her and her daughter would be best to head to Lincoln Park, where there are quite a few good thrift/vintage stores. That is an easy "L" trip from the city (12-15 minutes, depending.) They could also head further North to Evanston (a college town - Northwestern - that also does have a number of vintage stores.) If she likes music, I'd highly recommend Reckless Records, which is just South of the Corner of Belmont/Broadway in the Lincoln Park area - that is a used CD store with a selection that is quite remarkable. "The Alley"

The Ambassador East is in the Gold Coast, which is a very nightlife-heavy area and near some high-end boutique stores on Oak Street (Barneys NY, for example.) In terms of an alternative/vegan/goth type, the Belmont/Broadway area and the surrounding Lincoln Park/Lakeview area will likely have a lot of appeal. See also "The Alley", a store nearby Reckless Records (http://thealley.com/) There are no hotels nearby though - I'd recommend staying downtown and then just heading up there on the "L" train.

I'll also be happy to answer any other questions about the city, as well.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links when you are ready to purchase.

Additionally, the River North/NMA area offers more in the way of open stores/restaurants at night, while areas of the Loop become quiet later in the evening. While the NMA area offers shopping, the Loop is closer to Museums.

As I mentioned above though, I think the Lincoln Park/Lakeview area (take the CTA Red Line North to Belmont) is going to have a lot of appeal (both in terms of shopping and cafes), and the Red Line CTA train to that area can be easily accessed in the Loop or NMA area.

If the weather is decent - and the Winter hasn't been that bad - then one could take the CTA train to Belmont and then walk East to Broadway, South on Broadway (past Reckless Records and quite a few other neat/boutique-y stores) to Clark, then further South on Clark to Fullerton. Then a short walk East on Fullerton to Lincoln Park Zoo.

Yes, she is willing to do a 3.5 if it saves her about $10-$15 a day., i.e. bidding $50 for 3.5 vs. $65...because anything much higher then she can get a guarantee @ $76 for Sheraton Chicago Tower and thats a 4*.

Also, no Loop, no Lincoln Park, only Mag Mile/NMA/Gold Coast area--that's it.

This time of year the rates are low and she should get a better deal. She's ready to bid now.

At the 4* level you have FOUR re-bid zones, at the 3.5* level only TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

I would begin as follows:

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65.

If the above is rejected post back and we'll revise to try for a 3.5*.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 5 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]