Drop Charges when naming your own price?

jdljr
By jdljr,
in

I couldn't find any threads pertaining to this so I thought I'd ask.

I am kind of afraid to name my own price for a car rental I need for 11/30 because I am picking up in MIA and dropping off in Orlando. The rental I currently have reserved with Alamo for $31 plus tax (Economy) does not have a drop charge.

If I were to name my own price, would I be awarded a car with a company that has a drop charge, or does not have a drop charge? Certainly I would not want to do this if there is no way to guarantee I will not have a drop charge. What's more, I may not be able to beat what I currently have reserved anway.

Thanks for any info.

Somebody on the board mentioned that there was a law that rental companies in Florida couldn't charge one-way fees when the rental was picked-up and dropped-off within the state, but i couldn't find any mention of this in a quick web search so i can't say if this is still in effect (assuming it was valid)

Officially from PRICELINE:

One-way reservations are currently limited to airport locations only (for example, pick-up at Orlando International Airport and drop-off at Miami International Airport.) There may also be a "drop-off" fee charged by the rental car company. One-way rentals from off airport locations will be available soon.

Unless you can get confirmation that no one-way fees would be charged on a pick-up/drop-off within the state, i wouldn't take the chance (but i'm fairly conservative)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Somebody on the board mentioned that there was a law that rental companies in Florida couldn't charge one-way fees when the rental was picked-up and dropped-off within the state, but i couldn't find any mention of this in a quick web search so i can't say if this is still in effect (assuming it was valid)

Officially from PRICELINE:

Unless you can get confirmation that no one-way fees would be charged on a pick-up/drop-off within the state, i wouldn't take the chance (but i'm fairly conservative)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks for your reply. I actually think that MOST companies still charge a drop fee, as evidenced by the rates I've found while doing my searches. For example, one company charges $24 for the day, but the final total is about $94. Another charges $26 for the day, but the final total is well over $100.

I'm with you, though. It's not that I think the rate I already have reserved is bad, but I'm always looking to save a few more bucks where I can. I am equally conservative in that I will not be taking the chance to name my own price for this one, since I very well could end up paying MUCH more than I already have reserved.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]