Priceline Hotel: 2.5* NYC (MTE) Affinia 50

bowlopho
By bowlopho,
in

• 1 month later...

Hello what is the best way to win a 3.5+ hotel for around $90? I have read many threads about users winning a 3.5* for only $90, however I can't seem to win one myself.

What rebid zones are you trying? I have few friends in MTE, so I would like to stay in a hotel in MTE as well.

I started at $80 then each day adding $5. With no luck. I have also tried $85 at MTE, then $90 with MTE and TS, still no luck. What other bid zones are you guys using?

Is there ever a chance I might get a hotel in another zone (like I some how score a 3.5* in TS? )

You previously posted another NYC Hotwire thread. Do these dates replace the trip discussed in that thread?

In other words, will you still be visting NYC March 4-March 8... or are you no longer considering those dates and you have changed your trip to 2/25-3/1?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have changed my date to 02/25-03/01 and wanting to stay in MTE instead of TS. I have already booked my flights.

I failed again last night up to $92. Will try again today, if it's a no go, i will try to get a 4* for $106 as others here have posted a success around the date of my travel.

Any tips would be great.

I have changed my date to 02/25-03/01...

I have merged your threads since this is the 'same stay'... otherwise the previous thread would have just been 'hanging' without a conclusion or follow-up, which would leave future readers wondering what you ultimately did for that stay.

Are you using your re-bid zones to maximize your MTE bidding?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for merging the thread, thought it was more reasonable to cateogrize via priceline section and the zone I changed to for users to easily find a common thread.

Yes, I followed the priceline hotel list and choose rebid zones of areas that did not have a 3.5+ hotel: MTE, Chelsea, Long Island City, Upper East

MTE - $75 3.5*+ = failed

MTE + Long Island City $80 3.5*+ = failed

MTE + Long Island City + Upper East $85 3.5*+ = failed

MTE + Long Island City + Upper East + Chelsea $90 3.5*+ = failed

MTE + Brooklyn $95 4*+ = failed

MTE + Brooklyn + Long Island city $100 4*+ = failed

MTE + Brooklyn + Long Island city + Chelsea $106 4*+ = failed

MTE + Brooklyn + Long Island city + Chelsea + Madison Square $108 4*+ = failed

i'm still pretty new to pricelining. Am I doing something wrong?

Prices seem a touch higher (although as a whole, prices for these dates are below average) in MTE for these dates than they appear to be in other areas, and bidding for MTE alone is limiting. You're not doing anything incorrectly, I think unfortunately $108 is just falling a bit short of what is probably a likely (possibly in the $115-125 neighborhood) range for a possible winning bid.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchase.

While not 'wrong' per se, i think there are two issues to point out:

1) your bids are at the very low end of the range of what we see accepted in the MTE zone... the lowest prices are not always available

2) your restricting your bidding to only one zone. While this is fine if this is the only zone that is acceptable, it means that there are fewer hotels eligible to accept your bid.

For example, if you search HOTWIRE, the lowest price for a 4* hotel is $123 (Downtown) while the lowest 'midtown' zone is priced at $149... while the MTE 4* hotel is priced at $179, making a 4* hotel in the MTE zone (at least on HOTWIRE) $50+ more than a 4* in the lowest price zone, and $25+ more than the lowest midtown zone hotel.

What hotel are your friends staying at?

Where in MTE does your friend live? As NYC zones are so close together and compact, and subway line can often be more important than geographical proximity, there may be something else we find that will work well for your needs.

Congratulations on your success! :)

Wonderful deal for this well-reviewed Affinia property. I can't believe it's a 2.5*, but I guess a few amenities its missing is the reason why it isn't at the 4* level. Still, can't beat under $70 for one of the top-reviewed hotels in the city.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

Enjoy your stay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]