Priceline Hotel: Bidding Strategy Cancun Feb 6 -13th/2010

4family
By 4family,
in

Can the wise sages of the board offer a bidding strategy for a 5* or resort level in Cancun, 1 room for myself and my 3 kids aged 13,8, and 4, for February 6th-13th/2010 inclusive. I'm clueless about a good starting price here, and not very familiar with the free rebidding zones. Found cheap flights, just need a hotel for family vacation. Will place bids through the links on this board. Thanks in advance!

Start with reading this link: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

The board is happy to confirm your zones but you need to know how to determ them by yourself.

Feel free to post with any question.

Yellowdog.

Thanks, I appreciate the quick reply. I am familiar with the rebidding process. I'm trying to decide between trying for a 5* or going with a resort property, but want to be in the downtown/beaches area only. So, my strategy was going to be try 5* at $75 in zone 1; then add zone 2 at $80; then add zone 3 @ $90, then zone 4 @ $100. That may be unrealistic for a 5*. For a resort bid, considering zone 1 at $60; then adding zone 3 as a rebid at $70. Are those realistic starting points, higher or lower. Also, I note that some of the resort properties are possibly "adults only", is there a risk of getting one and not being able to go there with my kids?

I note that some of the resort properties are possibly "adults only", is there a risk of getting one and not being able to go there with my kids?

I can't answer you on this.

1 room for myself and my 3 kids aged 13,8, and 4

You know that PRICELINE only guarantee a room for two adults? This could mean a room with 1 queen/king bed only. Are you willing to take that risk?

Yellowdog.

Thanks, I appreciate the quick reply. I am familiar with the rebidding process. I'm trying to decide between trying for a 5* or going with a resort property, but want to be in the downtown/beaches area only. So, my strategy was going to be try 5* at $75 in zone 1; then add zone 2 at $80; then add zone 3 @ $90, then zone 4 @ $100. That may be unrealistic for a 5*. For a resort bid, considering zone 1 at $60; then adding zone 3 as a rebid at $70. Are those realistic starting points, higher or lower. Also, I note that some of the resort properties are possibly "adults only", is there a risk of getting one and not being able to go there with my kids?

i have the same concerns - priceline should seperate OUT the adult ONLY places as two seperate buttons because we often travel without kids and otehr times like this jan vacation to cancun we have 2 kids with us and have the same questions as u have

we usually start 5* bidding at 40$ and work up but no hits back yet on priceline but your ideas sound winable to me! we r in a 4 * airport mtl location today we pd $55 per night. sunday our toronto 4* costs us $41 so keep trying u will get what u feel is fair - let me know cause the ADULT ONLY ISSUE CONCERNS us lots for our CANCUN holiday...

• 1 month later...
i have the same concerns - priceline should seperate OUT the adult ONLY places as two seperate buttons because we often travel without kids and otehr times like this jan vacation to cancun we have 2 kids with us and have the same questions as u have

we usually start 5* bidding at 40$ and work up but no hits back yet on priceline but your ideas sound winable to me! we r in a 4 * airport mtl location today we pd $55 per night. sunday our toronto 4* costs us $41 so keep trying u will get what u feel is fair - let me know cause the ADULT ONLY ISSUE CONCERNS us lots for our CANCUN holiday...

I ended up not wanting to take a chance on this holiday, and I found a great promotion at the Fairmont Mayakoba in Riviera Maya, so booked that for $159/night using the Fairmont friends and family promotion that expired Dec 31st. Hope it turns out well! Thanks for the advice on the board.

Thanks Our final destination was Gran Melia Cancun - The BIG triangle resort at $66 or 533 total US dollars and the hotel was paid $62 or $486 total so Priceline makes a good dollar AT $ $47 US on 1 booking

The cheapest I can find this hotel other places is $ 119 so we got a good deal and they have said no problem to the 2 kids.

Good u found a place but we have not pd that much since starting with price line ans they are always nicer than we expect

enjoy your holidays - like us only a couple days to go Yippeeeee

GoWylie,

Can you please post your win to the board as a NEW TOPIC, including the dates of yoru stay, so that others will be aware of your win when searching the topic titles and when using the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Please also use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your future travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There is no need to search for anything... you would simply use the NEW TOPIC button (it's next to the REPLY button on the lower right corner of the page which you're already using) to create a new topic. Posting in this format would help others users be aware of your win, and also provide a place for you to follow-up with your experience and treatment after the stay.

I also disagree that there are "ads floating around everywhere"... we actually have very few advertisements on the board, and if you're receiving pop-up windows and/or advertisements, perhaps your computer contains spyware/malware/adware. If you have suggestions for the site feel free to send me a PM, as some of our best features and improvements have come at the suggestion of users.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...
No - not until we have been and used the hotel - in case what they say to us and what they do to us are different... plus reply is easier than going to look for certain topics we find this site not well layed out with all the ads floating everywhere

Dear Go,

I have to respectfully disagree with you. The board is orderly and THEREUARE must expend a great deal of energy to keep it that way. I know that I sometimes make my posts difficult to understand, and that is after using the board a couple years.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]