Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* or 4* St Thomas 3/26 - 3/27

yankeegirl
By yankeegirl,
in

Hi - I am just starting to research a one night stay in St Thomas (we're spending a week on St John's but wanted to stay one night on St Thomas after we fly in) Am not sure yet weather Hotwire or Priceline is the best bet.

Visiting Hotwire I saw a 3.5* St Thomas Hotel with these amenities: Resort, Beachfront, Fitness Canter, Pool, Restaurant, Tennis, Spa, Children's activities for $209 - could this be the Marriot Frenchmen's?

Also, there was a 3* St thomas Condo with: Condo, Suite, Beachfront, One bedroom Suite, Kitchenette, Daily Housekeeping, A?C, and In room Laundry for $249.

Any ideas what these might be? If I decide to do Priceline these might help me make a realistic bid... Thank you for your help!

I don't know the area well enough to help you with this. Maybe we have some other member on the board that can gain some info about this property. Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

Admin is on vacation untill beginning of next week. Just bump this thread then if you don't get any answers.

Yellowdog.

Hi, I need some help identifing these hotels if anyone is familiar with this island. Dates - one night 3/26/09 - 3/27/09, one room, 2 adults.

3.5* hotel $209/nt : resort, beachfront, fitness center, pool, restaurant, tennis, spa, children's activities program, 3.5 out of tripadvisor rating.

3* hotel $244/nt : beachfront, pool, restaurant, 4 out of 5 tripadvisor rating

3* condo $249/nt : condo, suite, beachfront, one bedroom suite, kitchenette, daily housekeeping, a/c, in room laundry, 3.5 out of 5 tripadvisor rating

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Please keep all posts in the same thread since posts are for the same dates.

I don't know the area well enough to help you with this. Maybe we have some other member on the board that can gain some info about this property. Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

Admin is on vacation untill beginning of next week. Just bump this thread then if you don't get any answers.

Yellowdog.

I'm not sure of the condo property, but for the hotels...

The 3.5* matches the Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort and Spa and the 3* matches the Bolongo Bay Beach Club so that would be my best guess for each.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

Hi, I need a strategy for bidding on a one night stay (decided to go the priceline route for this stay, not hotwire) on St Thomas. Priceline's retail side currently has the Wyndham Sugar Bay and Secret Harbour beach resorts at 3* and the Marriot Frenchmen's Reef at 4* listed as available. I would like to try to get one for $120 - $140. The Wyndham website has a room available at the AAA rate for $186 so I think that my goal seems reasonable at least for that resort (maybe not the Marriott which has AAA rate of $352). Any help or advice would be great, thank you!

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread... if you ultimately use PRICELINE we'll move this entire thread to that section of the board.

Are you willing to pay more for a 4* vs. a 3* OR is your goal the least expensive 3* or better for this stay? Also, keep in mind that the "retail" and "bidding" versions of PRICELINE each use a different universe of hotels, so you may receive a hotel thru bidding that didn't appear in the 'retail' section of their site.

Let us know regarding paying more for a 4* vs. a 3* and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry about that - thought since I was going to use Priceline I should post in that forum... Anyhoo - would like to get the cheapest 3 or 4* - don't care which. Good point about the different sides though - maybe there is a whole slew of different 3* hotels on the name your own price side, which is a bit scary I suppose since I don't know what they could be... Hmm, well, saying I don't care at all as long as it's a 3 or 4* what would you suggest for a bidding strategy? Thanks again for your help!

Oh - since this is about PRICELINE maybe it should be moved to the priceline forum?

Keep in mind that the hotel will be 3* or better according to PRICELINE... if you're concerned about star quality it's often recommended to error on the side of caution when using the opaque providers. Also, did you see that there are also 3.5* properties offered in this zone?

Historically this has been a fairly tough bidding area, but will give it try... please confirm that you still want to try for a 3* or better with a $140 limit.

I would play it like this:

Select 4* St Thomas...

Bid $100, if rejected lower star rating to 3.5*...

Bid $90, if rejected lower star rating to 3*...

Bid $80

Increase each bid by $5/$10 every 24 hours until you reach your $140 maximum at the 3* level.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to this thread. Tried your strategy of bidding on Priceline up to $160 (using your links of course) but no go. Decided to book directly with Wyndham at the Sugar Bay resort for $186. Figured I may as well get the points/ credit for the stay if it was going to be that close. Not a bad price IMHO for that time of year. Oh well - better luck next time I guess! Thanks again for all your help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]