Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Chicago (Magnificent Mile - Water Tower) Doubletree Chicago

peeps112
By peeps112,
in

Hi all,

Debating between 4/4.5* in MagMile area and hoping for help identifying them. This is for 11/6 and 11/7.

4* - $86 with fitness center, restaurant, business center, high speed internet access, and spa services (3.5 tripadvisor rating)

4.5* - $119 with fitness center, restaurant, business center, and high speed internet access (4.0 tripadvisor rating).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Patrick

Welcome to the site. :)

The 4.5* would likely be the Intercontinental, while the 4* is likely the Hyatt.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchase.

Thanks, Aaron. Any idea what a 3.5* in the same area for $69 with a pool, restaurant, business center, and internet access would be?

We would like to stay in that area by all the shopping and what not, but it seems the MagMile area hotels are much less expensive than the actual Water Tower properties.

For instance, a water tower 3.5* that is a boutique, has a fitness center, restaurant, business center, high speed wireless, golf course nearby, tennis court nearby, and spa is $89. Any idea what that is?

Thanks!

3.5* Mag Mile is likely the Doubletree, while the 3.5* NMA-WT-GC is likely the Indigo. I'm a fan of the Indigo, but it is a little far North and is not as convenient, especially in colder weather.

The Doubletree is a nice property, and if you're not going to be in the room a lot and just want a nice place to sleep, it's a fine choice. Additionally, I also recommend Fox and Obel Market and Cafe (fox-obel.com), which is a few blocks SE on the corner of the Doubletree on Illinois and McClurg.

The Intercontinental is a very nice, very historic property, but if you're just looking to shop and will not be in the room all that much, the Doubletree's a fine choice (and if this was the Doubletree, it would be quite a good discount.)

The Mag Mile/Streeterville area is the South half of the Michigan Ave. shopping area, while the WT-GC-NMA area is the North half. These areas are not particularly large, and it's easy to walk from one to the other (they border each other.) A hotel in either area would be fine, although the Mag Mile/Streeterville hotels are a little more centrally located when considering the city as a whole.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

AaronJB said:
3.5* Mag Mile is likely the Doubletree, while the 3.5* NMA-WT-GC is likely the Indigo. I'm a fan of the Indigo, but it is a little far North and is not as convenient, especially in colder weather.

The Doubletree is a nice property, and if you're not going to be in the room a lot and just want a nice place to sleep, it's a fine choice. Additionally, I also recommend Fox and Obel Market and Cafe (fox-obel.com), which is a few blocks SE on the corner of the Doubletree on Illinois and McClurg.

The Intercontinental is a very nice, very historic property, but if you're just looking to shop and will not be in the room all that much, the Doubletree's a fine choice (and if this was the Doubletree, it would be quite a good discount.)

The Mag Mile/Streeterville area is the South half of the Michigan Ave. shopping area, while the WT-GC-NMA area is the North half. These areas are not particularly large, and it's easy to walk from one to the other (they border each other.) A hotel in either area would be fine, although the Mag Mile/Streeterville hotels are a little more centrally located when considering the city as a whole.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

I wanted to update the board and say that I went with the 3.5* hotel on MagMile (through the link provided on this board for HOTWIRE) and it was, in fact, the Doubletree. Since we will not spend a ton of time in the room, it was a great place for us. Thanks for your help, particularly Aaron.

Three further questions (sorry!). 1) How is parking at this hotel? I know that downtown Chicago is not the best place to bring a car but for us it is the only means to get here. Is it astronomical? 2) How close is the Doubletree to the shops on North Michigan, walkable? 3) Can anyone recommend some nice restaurants to go to in the area? We do not mind about the price for this particular activity. Thanks again, all.

Patrick

Navy Pier (which is a couple of minutes drive directly east of the hotel) offers parking for $24 per day. Hotel parking is $41. However, there's also plenty of lots (open/garage) in the area directly around the hotel, some of which may offer a comparable rate to what Navy Pier offers. It's best not to drive into the city if possible, but otherwise, there are quite a few lots in this area (and it is a very nice area of the city, which is why I also suggested it.)

I wouldn't spend much time at Navy Pier, though.

It's about 2-3 blocks West to Michigan Ave - a very easy walk. A large grocery store is directly across the street (cheaper snacks.)

What kind of restaurants are you interested in?

Navy Pier (which is a couple of minutes drive directly east of the hotel) offers parking for $24 per day. Hotel parking is $41. However, there's also plenty of lots (open/garage) in the area directly around the hotel, some of which may offer a comparable rate to what Navy Pier offers. It's best not to drive into the city if possible, but otherwise, there are quite a few lots in this area (and it is a very nice area of the city, which is why I also suggested it.)

I wouldn't spend much time at Navy Pier, though.

It's about 2-3 blocks West to Michigan Ave - a very easy walk. A large grocery store is directly across the street (cheaper snacks.)

What kind of restaurants are you interested in?

Thanks Aaron. Ideally, steak/seafood type places.

Joe's Seafood/Steak @ 60 E Grand gets good reviews, as does the Capital Grille (633 North St. Clair Street). Both are within very easy walking distance. In general, I also like Viand (155 E Ontario St; varied menu - breakfast/lunch/dinner) and love Fox and Obel's cafe (McClurg and Illinois) for something more simple - they have great breakfast/lunch/dinner options. One of the more famed Seafood/Steak places is Nick's in the Loop (51 S Clark St, although it is pricey), which has been there for 30+ years and is considered an institution.

Other recommendations: Volare (201 E Grand Ave, Italian), Keefer's (20 W. Kinzie, steak), Bin 36 (Wine bar; nice place to stop for a drink and they are incredibly knowledgable; would eat elsewhere.) Foodlife Food Court in the Water Tower mall is an enjoyable experience as Food Courts go. I don't recommend Uno's/Due's for Pizza; Giordano's gets the recommendation instead, and offers a more enjoyable environment.

Most of these (aside from Nicks) are within easy walking distance (some within a couple of blocks) from the Doubletree.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]