RSW Ft Myers Minivan Alamo

PRS
By PRS,
in

Trying to book minivan for Fort Myers, FL from Sat Oct 31 6:00pm to Tue Nov 10 3:00pm. Advice welcome as seems like I may have waited too long to bid. Hotwire prices were at $32/day in September but now at $59/day and I have bid four times on Priceline with no luck:

$22/day Rejected Oct. 10th

$24/day Rejected Oct. 11th ($345 total)

$26/day Rejected Oct. 12th ($370 total)

$28/day Rejected Oct. 13th ($394.97 total)

My outside options are $465 total (inc tax) with Dollar using code KISS or $473 total (inc tax) with Thrifty using Magic Card (including free 2nd driver).

Costco rates for Alamo are higher

Barring any suggestions I will monitor HOTWIRE and only rebid on PRICELINE if I see a big drop.

We are a group of 8 (4 grandparents, 2 parents, 2 kids) so planning to rent two cars - a minivan to give us maximum flexibility and storage space and a smaller vehicle. The smaller car will be rented through Hertz using AAA rate and $30 off coupon so that we get four eligible drivers (all AAA members) and one free car seat. However Hertz minivans are very pricey so willing to book it wherever lowest price.

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'd go with the THRIFTY offer and take the extra driver which gives you a flexibility for an extra $8. You can try to continue to bid on PRICELINE and monitor HOTWIRE, but i'd book the above (as i assume it's fully cancellable) to lock in the price and prevent the price from increasing even further.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or our DOLLAR or THRIFTY links if you go that route)

Good luck.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

This is a little extreme. I've been looking at a similar situation, and realized auto rental at RSW was vastly higher than at other airports. So am seriously considering simply flying into one of the other near by airports and renting the auto there, then driving to Fort Myers. Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Miami and West Palm Beach, plus probably others.

I don't know if it would fit your situation or not, but thought it worth a mention.

Romelle

After a two week break I tried PRICELINE again.

$24/day rejected Oct .27th ($345 total) (Priceline suggested I bid $39 or $41)

$26/day accepted Oct. 28th ($370 total) (Priceline suggested I bid $38 or $40 so glad I ignored the suggestion!)

Unfortunately I forgot to use the PRICELINE link on this site when rebidding. Will try to remember next time!

Congratulations on your success!

Thank you for sharing your results with the board. Can you please add a reply to this thread with the name of the car company that accepted your winning bid.

Please try to remember the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future travel purchases.

Thank you.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]