Cheap flight to Cozumel (CZM)

migelito
By migelito,
in

I'm new to the priceline and hotwire arena, and I was wondering if you guys would recommend me using Priceline to attempt to book a flight from AUS (Austin) to CZM (Cozumel).

Searching for flight in Kayak.com (or other sites), I find out that the best flight in terms of trip duration and schedule is from Continental. However, there are a few Continental flights that depart one day and arrive a day later. From my understanding of PL terms, I would not get such a flight from them. This departing on Saturday Oct 17, 2009 and returning the following Saturday 24th.

My ideal flight is on Continental, that runs for $562 with taxes. Delta has a flight that takes longer for $436.

If I were to bid on the flight, do you have any idea on which flight would I get? If can get Delta's for $300 I'd be happy to take the savings and have a non-ideal flight, but would like to know what's the worst case scenario I would face.

Also, after a search on this site I didn't find much information about success from people bidding on airfares, neither what airlines priceline works with.

Any advice is very welcome. Thanks in advance.

I just re-read the priceline rules and it seems that a valid options for them is to send me in the following flights that have layovers of over 10 hours. Do you agree given their "Your trip may start anytime from 5am on your travel dates to as late as 2am the next day, and may arrive anytime on the day after departure." note?

Depart

Welcome to BetterBidding!

...there are a few Continental flights that depart one day and arrive a day later. From my understanding of PL terms, I would not get such a flight from them. This departing on Saturday Oct 17, 2009 and returning the following Saturday 24th.

Is the layover shorter/longer than 5 hours? How do the fares breakdown between fase fare and fees/taxes? (how much are the fees/taxes portion?)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think the above flights wouuld be excluded based upon the longest connection time allowed by PRICELINE for a trip to Mexico...

Go to PRICELINE and click the HELP >> Frequently Asked Questions link near the top right of their home page. On the right side of the page enter "connection" and click the first result "Connections, stops and layovers". At the bottom of the next page is a link to "guide to average and longest international connection times" where you will see the average for Mexico is 2.3 hours but the longest time booked by PRICELINE is 5 hours... so i believe the above flights would not be included since the connection time is longer than 5 hours (i haven't read thru the times in your post above but trust that you've read correctly that the connection times of the overnite flights are more than 5 hours)

Given the above, do you want to try bidding for this route?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I found that link last night from another discussion in this forum and the thing that worries me is that it states: *Data updated 7/1/2005

However, through the new way of finding that info that you just referred me to, I found a way to post a question to Priceline which I think I'm going to do.

We are traveling with an infant and I really don't want to risk getting one of those flights. Any other advice is very welcome.

Not sure if you'er purchasing a ticket for the infant or not, but some international routes offer very inexpensive seats for chidlren (like 10% of cost of an adult ticket) but with PRICELINE they only sell adult seats, regardless of the age of the child traveling... so be sure to compare the total cost of each if you intend on purchasing a ticket for the infant.

Let us know what you find and/or once you're ready to bid we'll advise accordingly.

Thanks for the advice about the infant's ticket.

I contacted PRICELINE with regards to the maximum layover time, and they make no guarantees that it won't be >10 hours. Given that I'm not going to be using them to book my flight. I really wish there was a way to tell the system I want to bid X dollars for a flight with a max layover of Y hours.

This is the reply I got from Priceline.

"We apologize, but we are unable to guarantee the layover time when

you use our Name Your Own Price option to make an airline reservation as

it varies by region and by inventory."

I just did a new search on PRICELINE for the itinerary I want and this is our first entry in the results. 26 hrs for a flight that can be 4 hrs long is just not acceptable to me.

Austin, TX (AUS) → Cozumel, Mexico (CZM)

1 Stop Connects in Houston, TX (IAH)

Departing

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]