Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Newark (Airport EWR) Country Inn and Suites

Le Mew
By Le Mew,
in

Hello all! A friend recommended this forum to me and I must admit I am a bit overwhelmed with all the information available to me at the moment.

I am flying into Newark with my two daughters (ages 10 and 11) Oct 10-13. I am a single mom and a teacher, so we are on a fairly tight budget. I am trying to find a hotel to stay at that offers airport shuttle, easy access to NYC, and preferably a continental breakfast to help keep costs down. I'd like to stay under $80/night. I found a 2 star on Hotwire offering shuttle and breakfast but it is in Plainfield - New Providence - Kenilworth area, I haven't seen that mentioned on here at all?

Any and all advice/recommendations would be MUCH appreciated. :) We are not familiar with the area at all.

ETA: I apologize-I have posted in the wrong area. Not sure where this thread should be moved to?

I wouldn't recommend the Newark Airport area for your purpose as it's neither "easy" nor "convenient" to get to Manhattan.

The typical route would be hotel shuttle back to the airport, bus/train to Newark Penn Station, then continue on Train to New York Pennn Station (expensive commute) or PATH train to Downtown Manhattan (cheaper but a little longer). By the time yo make connections with all three modes of transportation you'll likely looking at 90+ minutes each way... not to mention time to get to where you're going once you're in the city.

I know others are looking at hotels in the NYC area for these dates too and unforutnatley they're expensive.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks TUA. I wasn't actually wanting to stay close to the airport....just wanted a hotel with a shuttle that would pick us up and take us to the hotel, and then back to the airport when we head back to Houston. I saw a lot of posts on this forum about the Secaucus-North Bergen area, would that be my best bet for easy access into the city?

I can't imagine the Plainfield hotel above provides a shuttle to Newark Airport (perhaps the shuttle goes ot a small local airport?) and if they it may be for a fee, and most likely a shuttle company in the area that provides the service (for a fee) and picks-up/drops-off at all the hotels in the area, not just this hotel (which usually makes the trip VERY long)

The best area for access to NYC is the Jersey City Waterfront (NOTE: the HOTWIRE zones extends beyond the waterfront area so not all hotels in this zone are appropriate) but for your dates this zone will likely be more than your budget.

The Secaucus, Meadowlands, Rutherford zone(s) are typically the next best, but again, you need to 'know' which hotel you will likely receive as most, but not all, properties have easy access to Manhattan. However, none of these hotels offer Shuttle service to/from the airport, so it would require an expensive taxi ride (~$40 i'm guessing) or a few different modes/transfers of mass transit (and probably over an hour from airport to hotel).

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Amenities:

Airport Shuttle

Complimentary Breakfast

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Laundry Facilities

High-Speed Internet Access

I called the hotel prior to booking since I suspected it was this one due to previous posts on here, they said the bus stop is directly across the street and is $5 and change per person with a 30-minute commute to NYC. Also, based on the reviews on tripadvisor, the breakfast includes those yummy make-them-yourself waffles. :)

Thanks for all your help, theruare! I hope I did this post correctly. :)

Congratualtions on your success!

Glad to see you found something that works well for your plans, although i suspect that the bus ride will be a little longer than 30 minutes (so be prepared for closer to 40-45 minutes) and also be sure to check the schedule so you know what time the bus stops on the return trip home.

Thanks for sharing your results with the board.

Have a great trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]