Priceline Hotel: Resort or 3-4 Star Key West Overwhelmed Bidder

confused88
By confused88,
in

Hello ya'll.

I haven't used this site in a little while and in reading the information on what to do I have gotten somewhat confused.

Although my husband and I live in Florida we have never been to Key West. We have been under a lot of pressure lately (who hasn't :) ) and we want to take a short fun trip to Key West. Like many people I have champagne taste on a beer budget.

I have been researching hotels and resorts for two days and have come to some conclusions:

I would like accomodations as close to Duval Street as possible in a Resort or min. 3 star property (but really would like to limit the 3 star to La Concha which I know probably can't be done.) I know that the rates I am willing to pay make my chances slim but would like to try.

Dates considered: Check in Oct 21st OR Oct 22nd. Check out PREF. 10/25 but would consider 10/24 or 10/26

Price MAX MAX around ???? $100 per night?

What would be the best course of action to bid?

Appreciate any help,

Confused

With PRICELINE you won't be able to guarantee a Beachfront location. While i would think the Resort class of hotel would very likely land you on the beach, i don't think this can be guaranteed with PRICELINE... certainly not at the 4* or lower levels should you go below Resort.

If you search HOTWIRE for your dates, do any hotels show up within your budget which also show a Beachfront icon?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Beachfront is not required, walking distance to Duval Street Nightlife is the biggest factor.

Priceline shows only one area for Key West, which pretty much covers the whole island, so no controlling how close to Duval. As far as "walking distance", the island is a 4.2 square mile rectangle, and Duval runs sort of lengthwise. I guess it would be hard to be more than about 1 1/2 to 2 miles from Duval, no matter where you were.

Romelle

You could look at the hotel reviews and the calendar of wins (both above on this page) to get an idea of what is possible to get via PRICELINE and HOTWIRE. Or do a quick search on Key West (also above).

...walking distance to Duval Street Nightlife is the biggest factor.

Duval basically runs North/South on the eastern side of the Island... you could easily end up on the Western side of the island (near Roosevelt Blvd) which would put you a good 3-4 miles from Duval Street... i assume this is not acceptable?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think you have picked a tricky week to go, since October 23rd is the start of Fantasy Fest, the biggest event on the island all year. http://www.fantasyfest.net/ Folks come early to attend. you would be better off going the week before or the week after Halloween. I am sure rates are artificially inflated that specific week. If you like a lot of craziness, that's the week to go, but you won't experience much of Key West.

That said, you would be better off using HOTWIRE, because you will be able to figure out the locations of which hotels are available. Also, the beaches are minimal at most hotels, the Navy has the good beaches. But Key West is a lot of fun and definitely go.

Regarding the walking distance, thereuare is right, I'm wrong. I can see the longer possible walk now. I tried to use math and logic, along with some dusty memory. Didn't work.

There is what looks to be a fairly slick public bus network. www.kwtransit.com for more info.

I do second bellisq's comments about what fun Key West is. The sunsets themselves are worth the trip. Hemingway's house is amazing.

Romelle

Beachfront is not required, walking distance to Duval Street Nightlife is the biggest factor.

I've never won a Priceline bid in Key West, but have stayed there a number of times. We're just there the wrong time of year.

Two of the 3* hotels on the board's Hotel List - Key West have changed star levels.

The Holiday Inn is now a 2* and the Marriott Beachside is now a 4* (Can you verify that is correct thereuare?)

That makes bidding a little easier as you are left with three 3* hotels and two 4* (plus any that have yet to be reported to the board).

At the 3* level, the Doubletree Grand Key Resort and Sheraton Suites are too far from Duval to walk, but I believe each has a shuttle to the Duval Area that runs frequently. You'll want to phone and verify that before bidding.

At the 4* level, the Marriott Beachside is also too far from Duval to walk, and I think they also have a shuttle service.

Trip Advisor has a map of the hotels in Key West that may be helpful.

We've stayed at the Doubletree the last couple of years and use the Shuttle service and leave our car in the hotel parking lot.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]