FL Miami New Clinton Hotel South Beach

nyctraveler
By nyctraveler,
in

(An edit of my posting on TripAdvisor FYI)

I stayed only one night at this hotel on June 2, 2004. I was going to stay with a friend the first night in Miami but wanted to see what Priceline could give me for 4 stars under $80 - well I got this hotel, and I was pretty happy!

I arrived there and walking into the lobby I was quite surprised that the photos I had seen were not as good as the reality! The very playful, comfortable funky lobby - with this great quirky furniture - felt something akin to small comfy stools, and a great big centerpiece set of stools with a huge lamp shade in the center well above our heads. There is sort of this playful nature about the furnishings - furniture you won't see in your grandma's house...it's different but totally works!

The staff was overly gracious, and I met Stefan, the concierge of the hotel who remembered my name ever time I entered or left the hotel. He had many suggestions for things to do and offered his advice on what to do in Miami (my first time there).

The elevator had this really dim lit glow to it - and the hallways also had a playful nature as well. If I remember correctly there were little etchings under the room number outside the room in the figure of a svelte man or woman. The decor and hotel furnishings have this sort of bordello, pin-up burlesque theme to it...which was really unique and lighthearted.

I walked into the room and was shocked! A really good sized room - I'm high maintenance about room size and I totally didn't expect this. It was not enormous but just perfect in size and use of space. Beautiful platform bed with crisp white sheets and Hotel Clinton embossed pillow cases and one of the more comfortable mattresses/down comforters I've slept on; a Sharper Image CD player (don't forget your CDs), I had my iPod; spacious closet, venetian blinds, interesting playful art (again playful, fun).

But my favorite part of all in this room - THE BATHROOM: Beautiful bathroom - granite tile floors, walk in shower that was pretty large, a really terrific vanity/sink area with excellent amenities (I snagged the bars of soap and I NEVER do that); waffle-patterned white robes that were very light and comfortable, huge plush towels. The water pressure wasn't all that but who cares. The colors were done in a very muted earthy way and I wanted to rip that bathroom out and put it into my New York apartment. The mirror could be turned multiple ways, and also you could see into the bedroom from the bathroom (glass portion of the wall, though there was a shade for privacy).

My room faced the street and I heard no noise.

The pool area was small, yes, but always just a few people there - nice chaise lounges for sunbathing, great ambiance at night. The restaurant there had closed down and that stunk because it looked really cute and trendy.

My only bone of contention was that the carpet (though a nice one) in my room had some remnants of the last guest, there were some of those plastic tags from clothing price tags lying around by the door, etc. Nothing major but that was the only blemish to be seen and obviously not a big deal at all.

My suggestion: the hotel is great, very good best kept secret, good rates, very helpful staff (and did I mention FREE INTERNET ACCESS in the lobby?). 3 minute walk to the beach and many many many beachfront restaurants.

Stay here for a night or two - go to a large resort if you want impersonal service yet with a big crowded pool. No snobbery here - very trendy hotel but with a sense of relaxation that some of the other hotels I saw in South Beach lacked. Hotel restaurant was closed during my stay, menu looked good, hopefully it reopened since.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]