Priceline Hotel: Bidding for Jersey City

skelman
By skelman,
in

A friend of mine and his girlfriend are coming from San Francisco to explore New York City January 19 thru 25 and need a reasonably priced place to stay.

I figured that Jersey City would be ideal for them. Is there any risk of getting a hotel in this Priceline area that is not close to a PATH station? They are not particularly picky, but proximity to good public transportation is key because they are not going to have a car.

Also, what would be a good price to bid? Should I start at $37 or try lower for a 2*?

Thanks!

Is this their first time in NYC and are they on a tight budget?

For first time visitors they should stay in NYC for at least part of their stay if it's within their budget. Sure Jersey City is much cheaper, but a first time visitor misses some of the 'buzz' of Manhattan.

If the budget is lean than Jersey City is a good option, but if not i would recommend first looking at NYC itself for all or part of the stay... it's not a busy time of year so rates should be quite reasonable.

Let us know and then we'll supply a strategy for the appropriate area(s).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

They've both been to New York before and would probably prefer to stay at the same place for the duration of their visit. They are not on a particularly tight budget, but it's a 6-night stay, so all together it could end up being pretty expensive.

However, if you could recommend a strategy for a Manhattan hotel as well, I'll present both options and let them decide.

There have only been 4 hotels reported so far in this zone, the lowest being 2.5*, and all of them are close to a PATH station. There are definately other hotels in the area, as Priceline shows 1* and 2* hotels as an option as well. I'd think that the hotels along Rt. 1&9 are where the 1* and 2* rated properties are... and this is not an area you want to stay in. There is always a chance that a higher rated property is in this area as well and just not reported yet.

If they're willing to give it a go i would:

Select 3* Jersey City and Bid $37.

If that is rejected they have a few choices....

-wait 72 hours and raise their bid

-lower to 2.5* and bid $55 (keeping in mind the 'risk' mentioned above)

-try splitting the dates (this may be a tough bid to win a 6 nite consecutive stay)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]