Car Rental - PRICELINE

naturefly
By naturefly,
in

Do you know if it's possible to drive the rental car (using Priceline) across the US border to Canada?

I'm planning to bid for car rental out of NY airport and drive it to Toronto and Montreal. I've done this in the past with a conventional car rental company such as Alamo or Budget.

I would think that it would be the same for Priceline but just want to confirm.

Thanks in advance,

Unfortunately PRICELINE makes it a little tough to commit to a non-refundable purchase when your plans involved driving from the US into Canada, refering to the car rental copany's policy (which is touch to do when you don't know the name of the car rental company you will receive. Current at time of this post from the PRICELINE website:

Can I drive my rental car outside the United States?

While your rental car comes with unlimited mileage, the rental car company that is providing the car may have restrictions about driving your rental car into another country. If you plan on taking your rental car outside the U.S., we suggest you ask at the rental counter about its company's policy prior to driving off the rental car lot. This includes inquiries regarding driving into Canada and Mexico.

Given there are only a handful of car rental companies PRICELINE deals with on the 'opaque' side you could call each one in the city you are looking to rent and ask them their policy. If they all say 'no problem' then i would think you'd be fine, but if any don't allow it then PRICELINE woudl not be the best option for this rental.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

From the HOTWIRE website (current at time of posting):

Can I cross international borders in a rental car?

Mexico: Driving a rental car from the U.S. into Mexico is not permitted.

Canada: You may drive a rental car from the U.S. into Canada, but there are restrictions. Please check with the rental agency in advance to obtain approval. As with all Hotwire rentals, cars must be picked up and dropped off at the same location. Driving a rental car from Canada into the U.S. is not permitted.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I done same but unable to use Hotwire or Priceline. So I end up booking Budget and Alamo direct.

Option #1: I did fly into Buffalo first, rent a car at Buffalo airport, drove over to Toronto, return the car at Toronto airport the next day (within 24 hours) by paying $99 per day car rental with international drop off fee. Pickup another rental car at Toronto airport the second day as local car rental. After three days of business, return this second rental car at Toronto airport, and fly home from Toronto. One time, Budget Rent A Car in Toronto airport stick me a Toyota Corolla as a "Full Size" car (or no car left for the rest of the long weekend).

Option #2: fly into Buffalo first, rent a car at Buffalo airport, drove over to Toronto and do business there for 4 days. Drive back to Buffalo, and return the rental car at Buffalo airport, and fly home from Buffalo. You also save on return trip air.

Actually, both option total costs are fairly close. Only problem with option #2 is when you have any auto problem or accident in Toronto, you will have difficulties explaining why you are driving the Buffalo rental car over in Canada. Also, when I was driving in Toronto, I un-intentionally drove into this toll highway. Even I knew immediately I got into this toll road, I had no choice but had to take the first subsequent exit. 6 months later, I got a invoice from the Toronto department of the car rental company for toll road charge. The actual toll fee was something like 25 cents, but the toll charge handling fee was around $15. So beware.

I have done similar trips from Seattle to Vancouver too. Same results. No PRICELINE or HOTWIRE. In fact, near 60% of my cross continent travel involves open jaw trips, and many trip requires one-way national and international car rental driving.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]