LAX Full Size $20.00 8/29-8/31 Budget

8/25

Tried $17/day

-Full Size

Priceline rejected

8/26

Tried $18/day

-Full Size

Priceline response rejection, but suggest try $20 (this is new to me)

8/27

Tried $19/day

-Full Size

Priceline rejected

8/28

Tried $20/day

-Full Size, accepted, Budget

Two day 8/28 to 8/31,

rental $40

taxes and fees: $26.03

total $66.03

Priceline claimed Lowest Published price $127.89, total saving $61.86

Actually, the lowest published price is FOX rental a car www.foxrentacar.com, same Full size car, unlimited milage, same dates, at LAX, rental fee is $22.77 per day, two day total is $45.54 + tax = total is $67.11,

but this FOX Rent A Car reservation is made without prepaid and WITHOUT credit card.

So, by going Priceline, I saved $1.08, but prepaid and no cancellation.

Your comparison isn't apples-to-apples since Budget is a Tier1 rental company and Fox a Tier2.

While the two may be interchangable for you and not a factor in your purchase decision, when it comes to pricing there is a difference, just as there is a difference in a budget hotel vs. a full service hotel.

Bottomline is that you need to research prices ahead of time and know your best deal elsewhere to make sure that you don't overbid.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...
Your comparison isn't apples-to-apples since Budget is a Tier1 rental company and Fox a Tier2.

Sir, I do agree with you 100% for hotel and airline travel, are different between providers, brands, and provider star ratings.

However, I do not agree with you that there are much differences between top name international brands and local car rental suppliers. Otherwise, they would give star ratings for providers.

Actually, I care more about what kind of car, availability of cars, and the condition of the cars, for me. Also, for international car rental brands, they never really have much frequent renter programs anyway. They do charge extra for airline frequent flier programs. In the old days, major brands have their counters next to the baggage claim, inside the airport terminals. Not any more.

That is why I cannot see that much of differences between top brands and other local car rental providers.

One major difference the availability of type/class of car you ask for (for example, the "standard" size) particularly in busy dates and time. Major brands never seems to give us what we asked for, and always stick us with inferior class cars. I cannot forget Dollar Rent a Car, last summer, we arrived Toronto airport, and I reserved full size car for 5 adults. Well, they claim they ONLY have a Toyota Corolla, nothing else left, and charged us as "Full Size Car". I wrote letters but was ignored.

For FOX rental a Car, I never get less than I reserved for.

While the two may be interchangable for you and not a factor in your purchase decision, when it comes to pricing there is a difference, just as there is a difference in a budget hotel vs. a full service hotel.
However, I do not agree with you that there are much differences between top name international brands and local car rental suppliers. Otherwise, they would give star ratings for providers.

See my quote above... i acknowledged that for many car companies are interchangable, but that doesn't change the fact that a Tier1 company is going to price their cars higher than a Tier2 company.

I think there is little different in user perception until there is a problem... at which point the Tier1 players have better infrastruture in place to handle any issues. Have a car problem from a local company 100 miles from the rental locaion and it could be a major ordeal... have a similar issue from a nationwide firm and chances are there is a local office not too far away that will be able to help you out and issue a replacement vehicle.

I've never received a car less than i've booked, in fact quite the opposite in most cases, as i've more often than not been upgraded at the counter if/when my car class was not available.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think there is little different in user perception until there is a problem... at which point the Tier1 players have better infrastruture in place to handle any issues. Have a car problem from a local company 100 miles from the rental locaion and it could be a major ordeal... have a similar issue from a nationwide firm and chances are there is a local office not too far away that will be able to help you out and issue a replacement vehicle.

Points taken. Thank you.

Well, the credit card statement comes in today.

8/31 PLN*PRICELINE.COM RNTL 888-837-3774 OH $66.03

8/31 BUDGET RENT-A-CAR LOS ANGELES CA $68.61

So these people charge me the same car rental twice.

Call this phone number 888-837-3774. Keep asking me what is the phone number this car rental was. I do not know.

So, got online to Priceline and left message on Priceline contact me.

So, is the common for Priceline car rentals charge us twice? Anyone has similar experiences?

It does happen sometimes (and is usually an honest mistake by a newer employee)

Since the rental company is the one with the erroneous charge they are the ones that you should try to speak with in order to clear it up. First try the local rental location and then the national phone number... if no success with either then i'd let your credit card company handle it to avoid the hassle yourself.

Other then the double charge, which should be able to be resolved with a phone call, hope you had a good trip.

Note: I return this car to Budget LAX with FULL tank of gas. So what am I being charged for?

Reply from Budget Rent A Car:

Thank you for contacting Budget Customer Service,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your message.

I have reviewed your rental, and our records show the additional charge is for our Pre Pay Gas Service Option (PPG/GSO) for $56.27. This is an additional charge added at the counter, and is not included in your prepayment. The Taxes and Airport Surcharges will also increase as they

are percentage based. I have sent you an E-Receipt for your records and apologize for any confusion.

If you have any further questions please let us know.

Sincerely,

Budget Customer Service

My reply to Budget:

This is NOT correct. Because when I return the rental car back to Budget LAX station, I have just refilled the car FULL. I was told at Budget rental counter at LAX when I picked up the car, I should returned the car with full tank of gas.

Nobody told me and explain to me and I am being charged about this

option. Why are you charging me this?

=============================

Budget response:

Good afternoon Mr. xxxxxxxx,

I have reviewed your rental and it shows that you accepted the prepaid

gas, that is what the $ 56.27 charge is. Per company policy I must

request that you fax a copy of your gas receipt showing that you filled

the car within five miles of the location. . Once I receive the fax I

will be happy to remove the charge. Please place the above case number

on your fax.

Thank you,

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Customer Service E-Mail

Fax 918-627-2508

• 1 month later...

Well, finally, I got the credit back in my credit card statement this month.

Brief summary, I booked and prepaid Budget Car Rental at LAX this August for 3 days.

At the LAX counter when I checked in, I told the Budget counter agent I will return the car with full tank of gas. This is what I always do every time I rent a car. However, she (a young women, talking to another young guy, probably some kind of friend) did not pay full attention on what I was telling her. She mistakenly marked the Pre Pay Gas Service Option (PPG/GSO) and charged me for $56.27 to my credit card.

Luckily, I got the gas receipt to prove to Budget Rent A Car that I did fill up the tank immediately before returning the car to the Budget lot at LAX. I was able to get my credit card payment back.

So, Budget Rent A Car made this as my fault and I have to prove to them that I have returned the car with full tank of gas. This is absolutely unacceptable.

Sorry to hear of the ordeal but glad to see you got it resolved.

While i understand your frustration, you can't place the total blame on the rental car company... in situations such as this it comes down to the contract, which you signed indicating the pre-paid gas option (which usually also requires your initials).

Chalk this one up to experience and always confirm the options selected on your future rental contracts. :)

Well, we did reviewed the Budget Rent A Car contract computer printout. We also requested a xerox copy of the contract from Budget Rent A Car. We received this abbreviated contract letter from Budget Rent A Car. Neither copies showed that we are to pay for gas when we returned the car. However, the letter from Budget showed that the car was not checked for how full the tank before we picked up the car. The box for checking gas fullness, was not checked marked. Neither was the car gas fullness was check marked in the contract, when we returned the car. I wonder if Budget do or do not check for gas fullness, when the car was returned.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]