Priceline Hotel: 4* Vegas (Strip) Westin

sacto76
By sacto76,
in

Does anyone know if this is a peak travel weekend for Vegas? My wife and I are meeting her family there for the Friday/Sat after the holiday. My guess is it is a busy weekend, but perhaps most are still home with their families . . . ? In other words, what are the odds of an opportunity for a good PL deal (assuming there are any at all for that weekend/those nights), and when should we take a crack at it? Should we try now? Or should we make a res we can cancel and try PL in early November? Thanks for any input anyone can offer.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Vegas is not unusually buy during Thanksgiving week. In fact, Las Vegas from Thanksgiving to Christmas is typically a slow time (excluding the rodeo which comes to town near the beginning of December).

When you bid (and if you should even ultimately use Priceline or Hotwire) should be determined what star level you will be trying for. Let us know and we'll advise further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

On priceline, you may end up in the Westin Casaurina as a 4 star place, if you pick strip area, and 4*. I have stayed there, and personally find it just fine, but if you are thinking you will get NYNY or MGM Grand, etc... you very probably will not, as the Westin seems to be the hotel du jour for 4* strip requests.

Definitely try the 5* strip area first, then go try 4* in the West of Strip area, if you like the RIO(I do), as I believe that is the only 4* in that zone. Then you might try the 4* strip request if you'd like...

good luck!

I think it's too early to get a great rate at the Venetian.

As a back-up i would book either Bally's or Monte Carlo, both of which have rooms available for your dates at $250 (tota) for the weekend. I'm fairly certain both are cancellable up to 2 days prior to arrival, but you should double check yourself.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Sacto... it's still very early to lock-in a non-refundable reservation in Vegas for Thanksgiving weekend.

What is the rate of the Westin (or how much are you planning on bidding?). Why such a hurry to book something?

I'd sooner recommend you book a cancellable back-up and continue to try Priceilne and/or Hotwire.

Some people don't like it because the rooms can be on the small side. As well, this hotel might be ok in other areas, but in Vegas people are accustomed to a bit 'more' since the market is so competitive and there are truly some magnificant places to stay. You can read some more REVIEWS which as you can see are mixed... people either love it or hate it.

Actually, tonight's 4star bid is for this Saturday-Sunday (as you suggested, am holding off on Thanksgiving weekend for a while).

Re planning on bidding, haven't decided the amount I'd start at yet. I've got a cancellable room reserved at a price/place I'm comfortable with (the Embassy Suites on Paradise), so will probably start fairly low ($50-$60?) and work my way up incrementally as I'm not feeling any pressure and will be fine staying at the Embassy if I can't score a deal.

Good info this morning on resorts being treated as 4stars. Would have been very bummed if I "scored" a room in Henderson on this trip . . .

Sorry for merging into this existing thread then (sometimes trying to keep the board 'neat' i get a little over-zealous :) ).... but it's still 'contiguous' and easy to follow. However, if you post regarding the stay for this weekend (either a reported win or a request for help) please start a new thread in order to differentiate it from the stay in this thread.

Just my opinion, if you can get the Westin at a decent rate, go for it. I don't know people are used to, but the Westin isn't NEARLY as bad as some people say it is. Maybe it was the room they were in, but my room was fine, and would have absolutely no problem staying there again if it would save me some bucks.

If you want to stay in Vegas and see the hotels, it sure as heck beats Henderson... :)

If you do stay there, add your review, I added one a little while back.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if there's any chance the monorail will be back up and running by the 11/26 weekend? Doesn't look good from what I've read, but maybe I've missed something. My wife and I reserved early and have a pretty good rate at the Hilton ($62 per night, arriving Friday and leaving Sunday ), but are less than thrilled with the idea of having to pay cab fare to get back and forth to the Strip. Consequently, we're considering taking a shot at a PL four star (realizing it will likely by the Westin if we win). After reading the Tripadvisor reviews for both hotels, we're fine with the Hilton if the monorail is up and running. It just seems cab fares may make up the difference between the Hilton and the Westin if the monorail stays down. Or would it be stupid to bail on the $62 per night rate we have reserved? Does anyone have any suggestions?

FYI: I actually took a shot at the Westin on PL this morning. Struck out 7 times, with my highest bid being $80.

Is Friday the more expensive night? Also, where are you finding this info? From the hotel's website? Travel sites such as Orbitz? I've seen such disparity for NYNY and the Aladdin, but have only seen the same rate for both nights for the Westin. Obviously, I'm not looking in the right places.

Another question: when one splits a bid and wins both nights in the same hotel, has anyone encountered a negative response from the hotel? In other words, might we be forced to check out and check back in Saturday? Or is it generally not a problem to keep the same room for both nights even though the reservations are distinct?

Yes, Friday is the more expensive nite.

I see the rate difference by visiting the hotel websites. It takes a lot of work to look at them all, and i have developed some tools that make the job a bit easier for me to do so, but that's the proper way to check.

It appears that rates have gone up since you've booked the Hilton. You may be able to get the Imperial Palace for $69/nite. Although the reviews have improved dramatically, it's probably not as nice as the Hilton or the Westin, but the location is great. Not sure if that woudl be an option for you or not.

If you win the same hotel it's usually necessary to go down to the front desk on 'switch' day and have them check you out and then in again, but it's not necessary to change rooms.

Back in August I made reservations at the Hilton for Thanksgiving weekend with my wife's family. The rate was $62 per night, and it semed like a great deal with the Monorail providing cheap transport to the strip (my wife's family are staying at Treasure Island). With the Monorail out of service, I've been trying for the last month to get something closer to the strip for this weekend, but had struck out repeatedly. Most recently (on 11/15) I had bid up to $80 for 4* closer to the strip (hoping for the Westin), but had struck out. Today was my last shot. I was about to start my first bid at $90, but for once resisted my usual bull-in-a-china-shop approach and took a look at Hotwire just to see if anything had changed. Was surprised to see a 4* for $76 and, based on the amenities, figured it was the Westin.

Consequently, I started bidding for a 4* on the strip at $58, and was rejected but invited to counter at $75. Same result for my next two bids of $60 and $62. My 4th bid of $65 was the winner.

My wife will be happy that 1) she's closer to her family's hotel; and 2) I won't be able to drag her to Star Trek the Experience. Thanks again to this site!

The Westin Casuarina Las Vegas

Las Vegas Strip Vicinity

160 East Flamingo Road

Check-In Date: Friday, Nov 26, 2004

Check-Out Date: Sat, Nov 28, 2004

Offer Price: $65.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $130.00

Taxes and

Service Fees: $21.59

Total Charges: $151.59

Congratulations on your win... all is well that ends well.

Glad you ultimately had success and won't be spending money needlessly on cab fare... money that could be better spent at the gambling tables (and adimission to the Star Trek Experience :) )

Thanks for the follow-up and have a great trip and stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]