Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (Magnificent Mile-Streeterville) InterContinental

dokeman
By dokeman,
in

Hi there - I'm a new user, just registered. I'm looking for a Chicago hotel through Hotwire from 11/13 - 11/16 for my wife and I. It will be our 1st time to Chicago, will be flying from Toronto to go to a Blackhawks - Maple Leafs hockey game.

Looking for something nice, close to shopping, restaurants, things to see. I would think at least 3.5/ to 4 star or 4.5 star. My wife is hoping for a hotel with a jacuzzi / hot tub (I'm assuming would be with pool) if possible, but probably wouldn't be a deal breaker if can't find. Budget isn't most important as I want it to be a nice place, but of course I do like to get a good deal:-)

Looking at previous posts, I thought these 2 areas seemed to be most popular: Magnificant mile - Streeterville (1st choice I thought?); and North Michigan Ave - Water Tower - Gold Coast. Would you agree? Also do you think it's wise to book now, or wait a bit - generally do you see prices go down much as you get closer?

Here sare some hotels that came up on my Hotwire search for 11/13 - 11/16 I was hoping you could give feedback on what you think it is; and your opinion if it's nice?:

4.5 star Magnificant Mile - Streeterville - $139

- Fitness Centre

- Restaurant

- Business Centre

- Laundry

- High Speed Internet

- Spa

-------

4 star - Magnificant Mile - Streeterville - $119 (I believe this was $109 yesterday)

- Boutique

- Non-smoking

- Fitness Room

- Restaurant

- Business Centre

- High Speed Internet

--------

4 star - North Michigan Ave - Water Tower - Gold Coast

- Boutique

- Fitness Centre

- Restaurant

- Business Centre

- High Speed Internet

- Spa

---------

3.5 star - North Michigan Ave - Water Tower - Gold Coast

- Boutique

- Fitness

- Restaurants

- Business Centre

- High Speed Internet

- Golf nearby

- Tennis nearby

- Spa

---------------

thanks very much!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

From the Hotwire Hotel List our best guess for each:

4.5 star Magnificant Mile - Streeterville - $139

The James

4 star - Magnificant Mile - Streeterville - $119 (I believe this was $109 yesterday)

Hotel Sax

4 star - North Michigan Ave - Water Tower - Gold Coast

<i'm not currently seeing this on my own HOTWIRE search for your dates... are you still seeing this property offered? on my search the amenities are different than you've posted above>

3.5 star - North Michigan Ave - Water Tower - Gold Coast

Hotel Indigo

I'll let AaronJB comment his thought on each property once he sees this thread since he's local to the area.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the info.! I look forward to further insight also from AaronJB also RE: opinions.

RE: the 4 star - North Michigan Ave - Water Tower - Gold Coast you couldn't find; minor update, it shows "near golf" instead of spa. Sorry my mistake! It shows as $86/night.

- Boutique hotel

- Fitness Centre

- Restaurant

- Business Centre

- High Speed Internet

- Near golf

--------

thanks again!

Thanks again! I read on comments on this site that the Whitehall isn't all that great so will probably pass on that one.

Out of these hotels I'm considering The James - I see it's down to $124/night today for 11/13 - 11/16.

The only thing is that ideally we wanted a pool and jacuzzi to relax in, so may wait a little to see if something else comes up with a pool.

The James is an excellent property, and is superbly located.

The Indigo is one of my favorite properties under 4*, but the issue is that it is not centrally located - it is in the Gold Coast area, a few blocks North of the North Michigan Ave. area. That is a nice neighborhood, but it is on the North tip of what one could consider the "downtown" area. There is a subway station nearby.

The Whitehall is superbly located, but the issue becomes the hotel itself, which is an older property that gets mixed reviews.

The Sax is the former House of Blues, and is well-located on the river.

The issue becomes that none of the above have pools.

There's a 3.5* Suite (S) property (which also shows several other amenities) for $108 in the Mag Mile area, which would likely be the very nice Embassy Suites Lakefront. That does have a pool.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchase.

Thanks for your further insight on the properties!

Is the Embassy Suites you mention in a good area also?

What do you think of these prices - do you feel they are good competitive prices? I was wondering if it made sense to wait for a while to book thinking perhaps the prices would go down further. On the other hand it's a nice feeling to get it booked right away especially if the prices are at a competitive level already.

Thanks again for your help!

I strongly doubt you'll see the ES for less than around the $100 level. The area around the ES is a particularly nice area of the city, near Navy Pier (not that I like NP, but that area near the lakefront is a nice, upscale portion of the city, with a good selection of restaurants.)

The issue with waiting to see if prices go down is that, while there is the possibility that they will, there is also the possibility that they won't - when prices do go up, they do so suddenly. Again though, I'd be surprised if the ES would turn up much lower than that on HOTWIRE.

Additionally, while not as upscale as the James, at least you do get breakfast and an evening reception, as well as a larger room (plus w/the kitchenette, you can get snacks/drinks from the grocery across the street and bring it back to the room.)

I suppose you could say that the ES would be a more practical/value choice. If you are looking for more luxurious, I'd go with the James or one of the other options.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE link.

sorry for all the questions.

I just checked now and it looks like The James match isn't showing anymore.

A 4.5 * now shows in Mag Mile - Streeterville for $109 with: Fitness; Dining; Business Centre; High Speed internet.

do you think this is likely the Intercontinental; and if so it has a pool correct? and do you think it's a nicer property net net (location, everything) vs. the Embassy Suites?

From a location standpoint, it's even as you can see one hotel from the other. This could be the Intercontinental or Conrad, but the tripadvisor rating would match with the Intercontinental.

One issue with the pool at this hotel (if it is the Intercontinental, and I think it is) - the pool at that hotel is a junior olympic pool that was originally built in the late '20's. It is an absolutely gorgeous pool (one of the first pools built on a higher floor, no less.) However, the issue is that the pool is more for exercise/lap swim - it is not optimal for relaxation. It's where the original "Tarzan" trained and also where Esther Williams trained for a time period.

I certainly like the hotel - it's a gorgeous, historic hotel with modern touches and - I think - a pretty neat history. Great location (unlike the ES, the Intercontinental is right on Michigan Ave.), as well.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

Happy to help.

Additionally, the Mag Mile/Streeterville area is basically the lower half of the North Michigan Ave. shopping area. The North Michigan Ave/Water Tower/Gold Coast area is the upper half this area.

Combined, these two zones really do not make up that massive of a zone - I could walk from the South end of the Mag Mile/Streeterville zone to the North end of the NMA/WT/GC zone in about 25-30 minutes.

So, while there are some hotels that may not be centrally located (the Indigo, for example), these two zones put together are still fairly compact, as big cities go.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

thanks again - that helps put things into perspective. It's always hard to gauge until you've been somewhere.

In terms of larger cities we're most familiar with Toronto where the blocks are very spread out so walking distances can be quite long. So this is good info. to know - happy to hear

cheers

I just booked the 4.5* at $109/night for 11/13 - 11/16 as discussed below, and it is in fact the Intercontinental!

Looking at current rates for other weekends leading up to this, it seems like a pretty good rate for this.

I'm very happy - thanks for answering all of my questions, I really appreciate your service!

As one last comment if you're able to comment on a good breakfast joint nearby and a good restaurant (casual dining but good food), it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and are happy with the results.

I'm sure AaronJB will be able to some breakfast/dinner suggestions, but i just wanted to chime in to say congrats!

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]