Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Austin (Arboretum-Mopac) Extended Stay Deluxe Arboretum North

lynchmob98
By lynchmob98,
in

I'm new to betterbidding and the world of Priceline and Hotwire ... refered by a friend who has had good experiences ...

Here's the process I went thru ...

1. Read as much as I could on betterbidding.com ...

2. Decided that 2.5* was good enough for us (me & my wife) for first 2 nights of a 6-night trip ...

3. Went to HOTWIRE (via betterbidding link) and saw they were offering rooms at $39 / night in the area I wanted (Arboretum) ...

4. Went to PRICELINE (via betterbidding link) and bid $35 on 2.5* in its "Austin Northwest - Arboretum" area and got REJECTed ...

5. Went back to Hotwire (via betterbidding link) and took their offer of $39 / night ... and got Extended Stay American Austin - Arboretum - North ... so $39 / night for 2 nights + taxes/fees = 16.89 ... so $94.89 total for 2 nights ...

We don't plan to spend much time in the hotel so we figure we don't need/want any "extras" ... so just hoping it's clean and quiet ... I'll let y'all know ...

After I did my bidding at PRICELINE, I realized a better strategy would have been to have started with a bid on 3* in the area I wanted at $39 ... and then if rejected, try again by adding 2.5* and lowing the bid to $35 ... because I would have been happy to have a $39 3* hotel from PRICELINE, but I did not give myself an opportunity to make that bid ... I guess I could have Austin - North in order to have been able to make another bid ...

I've got more bidding to do for this trip ...

Question: should I post the PRICELINE rejection over on the Priceline forum?

Welcome to BetterBidding! (and thanks to your friend for helping to spread the word as to what we're doing in our little corner if the internet :) )

Congratulations on your success... glad to hear your first PRICELINE / HOTWIRE experience went fairly well and you're happy with the results.

No need to post your rejected PRICELINE bid again as we keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. However, can you please add a reply to this thread with the address of the Extended Stay you received (there are often multiple ESA's in the same zone this helps us keep them straight) as well as the amenities shown before your purchase and the dates of your stay... you can still view all of this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Thanks, enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

One additional note: I made this Hotwire reservation yesterday, just posting to here today ...

Here's the info about my stay ...

Extended Stay American Austin - Arboretum - North

HotelAddress:2700 Gracy Farms Lane,

HotelCityStateZip:Austin, TX, 78758

HotelPhone:(512) 833-0898

CheckInDate:Wed, Sep 2, 2009

CheckOutDate:Fri, Sep 4, 2009

Amenities: Fitness Center, Pool(s), Laundry Facilities

Also, the email reply I got from Hotwire had this interesting link in it ...

http://www.extendedstayhotels.com/extended...wire-guests.asp

Before I saw this link, I had called them to see if they had internet access and learned about the $5/stay surchage ...

Based on this web page, I just now called to make sure my reservation is for a non-smoking room ... the person on the phone sounded like she was at the front desk and asked me when I made my reservation (with the implication being that it might take a while to get into their system) ... since I actually made my reservation yesterday, she had it on-line and was able to confirm it as non-smoking.

I asked her how long it will take to get there from there airport and she said a 1/2-hour.

Also based on the web page, I asked about checking in "late" (ie. after 8pm) and she implied it'd be no problem even as late as 11pm.

Hotwire called this hotel a 2.5* ... and I since noticed that it's listed on the priceline list as 2*, but perhaps that's a different ESA location ...

I'm working on the rest of the details of my stay ... and I've noticed a quirk in HOTWIRE ... first time it happened to me (last night), I just thought it was a burp ... but it did it again tonight ...

When searching for "Austin", it did not list any availability for "Arboretum - Mopac Hotel" ... so I tried a search for "Round Rock" and, in addition to Round Rock hotels, it offered both 2* and 3* for "Arboretum - Mopac Hotel" ... seems like a bug/defect in their web site ... whatever ... I was initially afraid that there wasn't going to be any availability for the dates I was looking for ...

Another oddity that scares me ... it lists 2.5* in Round Rock for $85 ... and 3* for $82 ... huh? Is that just a quirk that a hotel that's been set at 3* has submitted availability for a lower cost than the lowest 2.5*?

I've still got 4 nights of a 6-night trip to decide on what we're doing for accomodations ... perhaps we'll spend some of it with friends ... perhaps some in 3* (or higher) ... perhaps vary our location ... this is our first trip to Austin in preparation for a move, so that's why all these things are still options for us ...

Question ... are there any pro's or con's to bidding on 2 2-night stays rather than 1 4-night stay?

On Hotwire, I'm seeing a 3* @ $62 for the 4-nights ... but no option at 3* when I search for just the first 2 nights???

I've still got 4 nights of a 6-night trip to decide on what we're doing for accomodations ...
Please start a NEW TOPIC if you decide to pursue the other nites of your stay.
Question ... are there any pro's or con's to bidding on 2 2-night stays rather than 1 4-night stay?
The fees are slightly higher when making two separate purchases, but you're not talking about a lot of money, maybe $2-5 total by splitting vs. one purchase. As well, you run the risk of having to change htoels if you make two separate purchases.
On Hotwire, I'm seeing a 3* @ $62 for the 4-nights ... but no option at 3* when I search for just the first 2 nights???
The hotel could have a minimum night requirement or only want the business if it includes a Sunday nite stay (or some other parameter which they can set)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Our stay at this hotel went well ... the front desk staff was very good ... the room was small and showed it's normal-wear&tear but the bed & bedding & bathroom were good and the kitchen was well stocked and more than met our modest needs ... we used the outdoor pool ... the location (just off MoPac) was perfect ...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]